Winglets for ASW20

Old February 1st 04, 09:09 AM
goneill

Default Winglets for ASW20

I have purchased an ASW20L and want some feedback on winglets
M & H quote 5% improve in l/d with their set .
Does anyone have an opinion on how accurate this claim is.
Is there other manufacturers that make them ,net sites please
and opinions if you have them.
gary

Old February 1st 04, 10:08 PM
John Shelton

The M&H winglets do indeed increase the L/D. The amount, I cannot be
certain.

They also give you better low speed handling which is good in a 20 since on
takeoff, you don't have much for a while. Before them, I had wing drops.
After them, none.

It thermals slower also.

But I bought them because the look bitchin'.

Old February 2nd 04, 09:28 AM
Bert Willing

Handling at low speeds is better with winglets. I won't believe any
performance claim on L/D without seeing the measurement data.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Old February 2nd 04, 02:37 PM
Chris OCallaghan

John is correct. The real value of adding winglets to a 20 is the
improved handling. It is much less tiring to fly the glider with them
on. Climb is much improved since centering becomes easier with better
control response. Worth the investment? Yes.
Old February 2nd 04, 04:37 PM
Hank Nixon

"goneill" wrote in message ...
I have purchased an ASW20L and want some feedback on winglets
M & H quote 5% improve in l/d with their set .
Does anyone have an opinion on how accurate this claim is.
Is there other manufacturers that make them ,net sites please
and opinions if you have them.
gary

Good winglets certainly can improve handling. They have their largest
effect
at high lift coefficients such as when tightening in a turn. As a
result they can have a remarkable abilty to improve climb.
With respect to max L/D, the best a winglet could do is reduce induced
drag by the equivilent to the span increase that would result if they
were flat. It is true that localized flow around the inside of the
winglet can improve the flow ate the tip a bit, the improvement is
relatively small.
So, if you want to estimate(call it guessing) the max improvement,
calculate the improvement from equivilent span increase and factor it.
Knowning geometry such as cant angle is useful. Likely the improvement
is between 40 and 60% of the theoretical span addition, plus whatever
gains result from localized flow improvement.
Measured improvement at L/D max on my 20C with winglet not unlike M&H
winglet was just under 1 point.
All this said, M&H has, in my opinion, the best aftermarket winglet
available for the '20.
UH
Old February 3rd 04, 02:21 AM
Svein

Has anyone tried winglets on the 16.6M ASW20BL? At what span and result?

SH

"Chris OCallaghan" wrote in message
om...
John is correct. The real value of adding winglets to a 20 is the
improved handling. It is much less tiring to fly the glider with them
on. Climb is much improved since centering becomes easier with better
control response. Worth the investment? Yes.

Winglets for SZD55 Tom and Jane Gilbert Soaring 20 April 12th 16 05:00 PM
Wingtip Vortex: Heavy, Clean, Slow - Why? Eric Nospam Piloting 23 January 21st 05 04:09 AM
Do winglets produce thrust? Bob Salvo Soaring 60 December 6th 03 06:58 PM
Discus Winglets Kevin Neave Soaring 2 October 15th 03 11:35 AM
Wanted: Ventus C Winglets E.Mertins Soaring 1 October 14th 03 01:15 PM