WingMate

Old April 9th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default WingMate

Howdy,

I am interested in purchasing a WingMate self-rigger but have not been able
to get hold of Chip Bearden at his last known e-mail address of his initials
plus last name at aol.com.

Does anyone know if he still makes these, or maybe someone has one laying
around they would like to get rid of?

Larry Pardue

To reply to me remove "remove this"

Old April 9th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Larry Pardue wrote:
Howdy,

I am interested in purchasing a WingMate self-rigger but have not been able
to get hold of Chip Bearden at his last known e-mail address of his initials
plus last name at aol.com.

Does anyone know if he still makes these, or maybe someone has one laying
around they would like to get rid of?

Larry Pardue

To reply to me remove "remove this"

Don't know about Chip Bearden's, but we have one made here in Phoenix
by Steve Koerner, check out:

http://www.wingrigger.com/

Mike

Old April 9th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Try the phone # at this web site don't know if it's current
though........ http://members.aol.com/wingstand/index.html

Old April 10th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi Larry,

I'm sure Chip has already responded. In case he hasn't: When I last
spoke with him about the WM a couple of months back, he wasn't planning
to build any more. He might be convinced to change his mind, but I
doubt it.

He doesn't read the AOL account too frequently, but he DOES check it.

I'll let him know to look when I see him tomorrow.

Regards,
Erik Mann (P30

Old April 10th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Why don't you build one? It isn't hard and mine does a great job supporting
165 lb HP-14 wings.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...rier/LWT-3.htm

Wayne
HP-14 N990 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

"Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry,

Did you get more than one person willing to let one go? I'm looking,
too. I can't afford the Wing rigger or Udo's just now.

Mike

Old April 10th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've been looking at things called "electric columns" "struts" "electric
pilars". These are telescoping columns with an electric (12V) ball screw
jack inside made for adjusting the height of work tables.

They're just a bit more expensive than a hand cranked car jack but the
'cool' factor may be worth it for a wing dolly.

Bill Daniels

Old April 10th 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill
I offered this feature when I began selling rigging aids 10 years ago.
I sold a number of them with remote control.
All came back to be converted to manual.
Two reasons were given, It is not needed and I forgot to charge the
battery. The remote control units did work just fine.
I withdrew this ad on my website very shortly there after.

I am able to offer a standard wing saddle from my production mould
for those that want to build there own frame.
Udo

. ..

Old April 11th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How much is the standard wing saddle (with shipping)?

Old April 12th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Erik Mann posted:

I'm sure Chip has already responded. In case he hasn't: When I last
spoke with him about the WM a couple of months back, he wasn't planning
to build any more. He might be convinced to change his mind, but I
doubt it.

He doesn't read the AOL account too frequently, but he DOES check it.

Sorry for being late responding. Erik Mann and I are employed by the
same consulting firm and I've been focusing on nothing but work
recently. My work is my life. I'm absolutely dedicated to nothing else.

I do plan to build WingMates again. I just don't know when. I've got
most of the parts in my workshop but they're fairly labor intensive to
construct (like a lot of other things in my past, I'd do it differently
if I could do it over again). And I missed the logical winter off
season again this year so it will be a while. In the meantime, there
are used ones. I was able to connect a seller and buyer last year to
their mutual satisfaction. FWIW, I did vary the dimensions of the wing
"cuff" for individual buyers but there are only a handful of standard
sizes. So if you find one that was built for, say, an LS-6, I can
probably tell you if it will fit your glider.

In the meantime, Udo's rig (and others of similar design) works fine
for what it is designed to do: carry the entire wing. Mine was intended
for a slightly different purpose: i.e., rapid solo rigging/derigging
anywhere (on the airport or in a farmer's field) rather than taking the
load off my back. I used to get calls all the time from people with
back problems looking for help rigging their LAK-12, etc., but I always
referred them to the other wingstands. With the WingMate, you still
have to pick up the heavy end of the wingspar and carry it a few steps
to the fuselage. If that's what you're trying to avoid, give Udo or one
of the other guys a call.

If I get some spare time (i.e., our company goes public, I win the
lottery, my daughters are signed to a multi-year
modeling/acting/promotional contract, etc.), I'll post an announcement
here that the WingMate is back.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"