Sunglasses?

Old October 17th 04, 04:13 AM
Ben

These have been popular in the soaring community for years, they really
enhance contrast in hazy conditions and give excellent UV protection
http://www.suntigers.com/

Ben Jeffrey

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
. uk...
That's what I initially thought, too, but it doesn't really do that.
They cut down but don't eliminate glare.

Sunglasses should make it easier to see other traffic. Any reduction in
the visibility of other traffic, whether it's to cut the glare completely
or simply to reduce it, is a negative in my book, since that's counter to
one of the purposes of a pair of sunglasses.

The only problem I have spotting traffic is that I fly a Pitts which has
sod-all visibility anyway! I can still see the top wing with my
polarized glasses on though!

For me, it's more a matter of seeing *other* airplanes' wings, not those
on my own.

Pete

Old October 17th 04, 04:22 AM
Roger

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:53:03 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .
Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

They are my favorites. I almost always wear polarized bifocals on
sunshiny days. They also work well in haze.

Interesting. After numerous times of seeing threads warning against
polarized sunglasses, one instance finally shows up where someone (and three
people, so far, in this case) defends polarization.

That said, I agree with CJ. There are a number of reasons to avoid
polarization, all of which have been stated before. But for me, the one
that matters the most is that polarization cuts glare reflected from other
airplanes. Since very often, my first (and sometimes only) notice of other
traffic in the air with me is the reflection of sunlight from the aircraft,
I definitely would not like for that reflection to be eliminated by
polarized sunglasses.

"To me", they seem to make that traffic stand out against the
background so I don't have to depend on a chance flash of light
reflection to spot the traffic.

YMMV.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Pete

Old October 17th 04, 04:27 AM
G.R. Patterson III

David Johnson wrote:

Drawbacks of clip-ons? They add to the weight perched on your nose.
They are also another set of lenses to collect dust (and keep clean).
They also scratch easily.

The thing I love about clip-ons is that they flip up. I can't read the screen on my
LORAN with any sunglasses. With clip-ons, I just tilt them up to read the screen
(yes, I need my regular glasses to see the thing).

The most dramatic incidence of this was when I was coming across Lake Michigan on my
last Oshkosh run. The sun was low and in my eyes, so I needed sunglasses to cut the
glare, but I couldn't see anything on the panel with the glasses on. I tilted the
clip-ons so that they covered the sky but not the instruments.

I've seen "real" sunglasses advertised in AOPA Pilot that have this feature. If they
can afford to advertise there, I expect they're pretty expensive, though. I'll stick
with the clip-ons.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 17th 04, 11:04 PM
chris priest

C J Campbell wrote:

Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of polarized Oakleys to wear when I fly.
At the time I bought them, I was unaware of the controversy surrounding
polarized lenses. If I had known, I may not have bought them. Honestly,
I have not noticed a single diffrence in the plane when wearing them.
Although, I haven't been actively looking for anything...
Old October 18th 04, 03:34 AM
John Harlow

Any suggestions?

Take your headphones with you when you try them on, and make sure the
glasses don't poke you or cause the cups to come off your ear.

Old October 18th 04, 04:24 AM
David Johnson

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of polarized Oakleys to wear when I fly.
At the time I bought them, I was unaware of the controversy surrounding
polarized lenses. If I had known, I may not have bought them. Honestly,
I have not noticed a single diffrence in the plane when wearing them.
Although, I haven't been actively looking for anything...

You really need to evaluate the difference of "with" and "without".
Just lift the glasses then return them to the normal position a few
times in different lighting conditions and while observing different
scenes. In particular, note the difference when looking at something
that reflects light, such as water or glass. With them on, tilt your
head to the left then right and note the difference.

The alignment of the polarizing grid makes quite a difference. I used
to have a pair of surplus polarizing filters for bimoculars that had
a mechanism for rotating the lenses. The reduction in glare was quite
dramatic when adjusted to the optimum position when looking over water.
Of course with normal sunglasses your only option is to tilt your head
one way or the other.
Old October 26th 04, 01:42 AM
Blueskies

Ambermatic by Baush Lomb

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352@a mugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Old October 27th 04, 01:40 AM
Dave

I agree...

I use prescription bi's...

Polarized plus antiglare coatings...

YMMV...but I MUCH prefer the polarized.

No probs with a AirMap 1000...

I use them boating as well, in fact they are a must on the
water.........

Dave

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:18:53 GMT, Roger
wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:11:19 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352 @amugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

They are my favorites. I almost always wear polarized bifocals on
sunshiny days. They also work well in haze.

But... I only have one modern instrument, my Garmin 295 and I can see
the display in that quite well.

OTOH the radio in my car (Kenwood TMD700 144/440 MHz) has a blank
screen when I put them on.

I prefer them to any other type of glasses, BUT I'd want to try them
in any particular plane BEFORE flying.

I also wear photogray lenses in another pair, but found "Transitions"
(TM) to be useless.