?? Marine boot camp question ??

Old March 29th 05, 03:53 AM
vincent p. norris

[1 - Since once a Marine, always a Marine, the only difference
between "retired" Marines is if they retired before or after the
20 needed to rate the pension....

I usually say, Marines on active duty and Marines no longer on active
duty.

I never had a set of dress blues, either.

Well, you would have, post-Korea. Blues were part of an
Officer's required kit, pilot or otherwise. ;-

Now that you jog my memory, I do remember the day when an order
arrived from Headquarters Marine Corps. Subject: Swagger Sticks.

Para 1 said something like "On and after (date), all officers will
carry swagger sticks."

Para 2 said something like "Swagger Sticks will be 18 inches long,
3/8ths of an inch in diameter, covered with cordovan leather........"

Para 3 said something about not carrying an umbrella or a bag of
groceries while carrying a Swagger Stick.

Whoever started reading it aloud to a group of us in the Squadron
office began to giggle, and eventually we all howled with laughter.

That must have been a bout 1952 or 53. If anyone has a copy of that
order, it would be a service to mankind's merriment if he were to post
it here.

vince norris
P.S. I never owned a swagger stick, either.
Old March 29th 05, 06:27 PM
Ogden Johnson III

vincent p. norris wrote:

[...]

Actually, it was Officers and SNCOs [at a minimum, disremember
whether it included NCOs - Cpls and Sgts].

One of the shorter-lived "customs". One of David M. Shoup's [MOH
on Tarawa] first acts when he assumed his duties as CMC on 1 Jan
1960 was to meet with his staff, Marines and civilians, on 4 Jan
1960 to talk about things.

The remarks are available at:
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Hi...aggerstick.htm

and were, as he noted in the introduction:

"INTRODUCTION

To all Marines, naval personnel and civilians who comprise our
operating organization:

Good Morning. Although I speak only to this small representative
group personally, provision has been made whereby these remarks
will be either read or heard by the majority of Marines of all
ranks at all posts and stations."

and went on for a few paragraphs of "new boss" stuff.

Other than that, the sum of the his remarks addressed Uniforms
and Equipment thusly:

"UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT

Non-combat type uniform changes now being processed will be the
last such changes considered for some time unless directed by
higher authority. Anything relating to the uniform of the Marine
which better meets his needs in combat will be given high
priority action.

In general I feel that a clean, neat, well-fitted uniform with
the Marine Corps emblem is tops. There is no need for gimmicks
and gadgets.

With respect to equipment we should emphasize simplicity,
ruggedness and ease of maintenance. And in design and gadgetry
the characteristics we demand should be a pattern of the
necessary rather than the ideal. We shall continue to strive to
obtain in a timely manner the best possible combat equipment

There is one item of equipment about which I have a definite
opinion. It is the swagger stick. It shall remain an optional
item of interference. If you feel the need of it, carry it…"

In the DC area as a Marine brat at the time, I can state that no
swagger sticks were to be seen on January 5th - or ever again -
in the hand of a Marine Officer or SNCO. They got the message,
loud and clear, however quietly, indirectly, spoken. ;-

[Step-dad was a senior Marine lawyer {law school on the GI bill
post-WWII USMC service} at a time when the Marines had 150
billets for lawyers, 93 of them filled. He had a heart attack
and was being medically retired, physical for promotion waived,
as a LtCol in spring of 1961, just after I had enlisted and was
in the 120-day pool waiting for HS graduation/shipment to PI. As
a senior lawyer, Ted was granted a "good-bye, thanks for
everything" audience with the Commandant, family included. Ted
proudly advised the Commandant that although he regretted leaving
the USMC early, his replacement "your newest Marine, my step-son
Private Johnson, is about to leave for PI after graduation."
General Shoup avoided comment on my '50s DA-style haircut, and if
he even raised an eyebrow I didn't notice it as he shook my hand
- too busy staring at that MOH ribbon atop a rather impressive
set of other ribbons and badges. If I could have melted into the
wall, I would have.]

--
OJ III
Old March 29th 05, 07:36 PM
Greasy Rider© @invalid.com

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:27:13 -0500, Ogden Johnson III
postulated :

(snipped)

"There is one item of equipment about which I have a definite
opinion. It is the swagger stick. It shall remain an optional
item of interference. If you feel the need of it, carry it"

At about this time frame there was an incident in my home town
involving a Marine officer, a elderly lady and what may have been
perceived as someone breaking in line at a local cafeteria. Believe it
or not but a minor scuffle broke out. A swagger stick was used either
in offense or defense. Within days I saw that same quote in the local
newspaper.

Semper Fi!
(Don't let the Blue Hairs take advantage)
Old March 30th 05, 04:05 AM
vincent p. norris

Thanks for the link and the reminiscence, OJ.

vince norris
Old March 30th 05, 07:02 AM
Diamond Jim

OJ, I think I was at Quantico, when the Uniform Regulations were changed to
reflect Gen Shoup's wishes. I believe the new edition of the regs was
published in early-mid '63. I am not sure if there was an ALMAR or a MCO on
the subject issued between the time Gen Shoup made his wishes know and the
change in the Uniform Regs.

I know that you couldn't even find a Swagger Stick for a souvenir in "Q"
town by the time I left in early 64.

Old March 30th 05, 06:41 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"Diamond Jim" wrote:

OJ, I think I was at Quantico, when the Uniform Regulations were changed to
reflect Gen Shoup's wishes. I believe the new edition of the regs was
published in early-mid '63. I am not sure if there was an ALMAR or a MCO on
the subject issued between the time Gen Shoup made his wishes know and the
change in the Uniform Regs.

I know that you couldn't even find a Swagger Stick for a souvenir in "Q"
town by the time I left in early 64.

As a Marine Brat with an afternoon paper route that included MB
Pearl Harbor in 1955/6-ish, often as not I saw officers and SNCOs
carrying swagger sticks.

Following MB PH, in the DC area for my step-dad's back-to-back
tours with the USMC JAG then USN JAG offices, the "Capital
Military Region" varied between "wear the UD daily, keep a high
profile" and "wear civvies daily except once a week so we can see
if your UD still fits, keep a low profile" periods; and anyway a)
we were in the suburbs, and only had a chance to see uniforms if
we went into DC, b) presence or absence of uniforms/swagger
sticks was the last thing on my hormone-ridden mind.

However, from day one after my departure for PI on 6 July 1961, I
never saw a swagger stick in the hand of a Marine officer or
SNCO. Still a LCpl in 1963, any ALMAR/MCO deleting swagger
sticks would have escaped my mind, but by my personal
observations, it would seem that most Marines took Gen Shoup's
subtle hint on the subject to heart. ;- Which in turn suggest
that whatever else that ALMAR/MCO may have changed in the uniform
regs, deletion of the swagger stick was an OBE item on the list.
--
OJ III
Old March 31st 05, 02:20 AM
vincent p. norris

However, from day one after my departure for PI on 6 July 1961, I
never saw a swagger stick in the hand of a Marine officer or
SNCO.

My DI at PI, summer of 1946, a buck sergeant Jordan, carried a
swagger stick. I'll never forget it, or him. It was polished wood
with a .30 round at the tip. Entire round, not just the slug.

He used the stick to beat on our pith helmets if we failed in some
respect to meet his expectations. It didn't hurt, of course, but the
sound was certainly attention-getting!

vince norris
Old April 2nd 05, 04:47 PM
Doug O'Neil

It was done at MCRD San Diego in June 8th 1979

- Doug

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
My son-in-law, who was in the Navy about 30 years ago, mentioned at
dinner today that the guy who graduated #1in his platoon at Marine
boot camp was given a set of blues, free.

I think that's an urban legend. It certainly wasn't the case when I
went through Parris Island in 1946.

Was it done at San Diego?

Anyone know?

Thanks. vince norris

Swift Boat Veterans For Truth: Are They Going To Sink John Kerry? BUFDRVR Military Aviation 151 September 12th 04 09:59 PM
Lot of noise being made about Purple Hearts Jack Military Aviation 154 September 8th 04 07:24 PM
boot camp advice jameson Military Aviation 17 July 22nd 04 05:12 AM
boot camp info jameson Naval Aviation 7 July 17th 04 02:19 AM
good book about prisoners of war Jim Atkins Military Aviation 16 August 1st 03 10:18 AM