I want to buy a plane by year-end but they're not making it easy.

Old December 4th 04, 06:21 PM
Darkwing Duck

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
OK, Please don't hire me as your agent.

Not to worry. I have no intention of wrecking my business.

Yikes.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
Steve Foley wrote:

Remind me not to hire you as an agent. I can't tell you if I've ever

bought
or sold a house to a party that was "pre-qualified" which by the way,

pretty
much means squat anyhow.

Old December 4th 04, 06:21 PM
Steve Foley

I simply tried to point out why the OP may not be getting the treatment he
expects.

It's really too bad my existance offends you so much, but that's really
your problem, not mine.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

In my business, realtors are the worst nightmare I have to deal with.

Bozos
that couldn't hold any other job, representing people who wishes they know
nothing about...

Oh, well, you get the idea.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old December 4th 04, 07:16 PM
Steve Foley

OK, So what you're saying is that you can't tell by looking at someone if
they have money, but you are offended that I ask they talk to a banker
before I start chauffeuring them around looking at houses?

How do you tell if someone is pulling your leg when they want to buy one of
your homes? You just trust that they will show up at closing with a pile of
money?

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message
ink.net...
You can usually tell one way or the other if someone has money. I once
worked in a fancy retail store and saw this guy walk in wearing ripped

jeans
and a dirty T-shirt. No one else paid any attention to the guy because

he
looked like a bum. As I walked past him I glanced at his wrist and saw a
Swiss watch probably worth more than the BMW that the guy in a suit next

him drove. Needless to say the "bum" nobody wanted to deal with left

with
$1000 of cigars. Shoes are another big giveaway. The average observer

sees
three guys in suits. The skilled one sees one guy wearing Bally loafers

and
two guys in department-store shoes.

A former boss of mine drove a five year old Buick, wore Sears clothes, a
Seiko $150 watch (a gift from his daughter) and when writing during a
meeting once I tesed him because he used a "Brakes Plus" BIC pen. His wife
had a simple, inexpensive wedding ring. He often wore jeans and cowboy
boots.

He was worth some $15million. And, no, he wasn't miserly at all.

In real big-ticket items like cars or real estate, it's not unusual that

you
really don't even see the smart and or wealthy buyer face-to-face until

the
deal is closed. If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling

the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

Usually.

Old December 4th 04, 09:49 PM
G.R. Patterson III

C Kingsbury wrote:

This is still largely how the game works. About a year ago I was toying with
the idea of buying one of those new Saab convertibles. I went to one dealer,
went for the test drive, etc. Then we sat down to talk price. I told him I
wanted two prices, one to buy the car straight and another to buy it with my
Jeep as a trade-in. He wouldn't do it.

Well, if a dealer will not give me a price for a straight purchase, he won't
sell me a vehicle. So far, I've bought only two new vehicles, and I have never
traded another one in.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old December 4th 04, 11:48 PM
Jay Honeck

Well, if a dealer will not give me a price for a straight purchase, he
won't
sell me a vehicle. So far, I've bought only two new vehicles, and I have
never
traded another one in.

This past June Mary and I decided we needed a "knock around" car, mostly
because she was sick of driving "The Mighty Grape" around town. (It's our
ugly purple pickup truck that hauls 55 gallons of gas to the plane, and
only seats two people...I love it!)

Over the course of a few days this idea slowly transformed from "Let's buy a
beater" to "Let's buy a sports car!" (Don't ask me how -- it just did.)

So, Mary, the kids and I were up in Cedar Rapids on our days off, when we
decided to drive around and look at car lots. Driving aimlessly, we
stumbled across a pristine red-orange Mustang Cobra convertible sitting on
the lot of a used car dealership that specializes in selling only cherry
sports cars.

I didn't look twice at it, because the Mustangs we had already test driven
didn't have enough rear seat headroom for the kids. Mary, however,
instantly fell in love with the looks of the thing, so I stopped to take a
look...

It was ten minutes before closing when we walked in looking like something
straight out of the Beverly Hillbillies. I hadn't shaved in two days, and
was wearing a baseball cap and torn up jeans. Mary didn't look much better,
and the kids were cranky and hungry. The salesman took one look at me,
looked at his watch, and reluctantly agreed to let us take the car for a
test drive. He kept exchanging knowing glances with his office manager, and
you could just tell that they were really, REALLY ****ed about being late
for supper.

Well, we test drove the car, and instantly fell for it. Being a
convertible, the back seat headroom (with the top up, natch) was
dramatically better than in the hard-top -- so the kids actually fit back
there comfortably -- and the thing handled like a danged Formula 1 race car.
Besides that, it felt great to have the wind blowing in my (rapidly
diminishing) hair!

We drove back to the lot, and painfully extricated ourselves from the little
car. The salesman didn't even meet us at the car, instead waiting inside
for us to come in, completely convinced that we would be shortly on our way.
Imagine his look of utter incredulity when I asked him "How much?" This
look of surprise was only topped by the look of disbelief when I told him
that, no, we didn't want to trade anything in -- and that we were ready to
pay cash on the barrel-head for the car!

After a few minutes of dickering we wrote him a check, he gave us the keys,
and we had our car.

That guy is probably STILL shaking his head...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 5th 04, 12:26 AM
Matt Barrow

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Well, if a dealer will not give me a price for a straight purchase, he

won't
sell me a vehicle.

I take that a bit further and tell them I'll let them "go talk to my sales
manager" only ONCE after which I'll walk out the front door.

Usually it works, but some can't believe I'm serious. Some have even tried
(as we walked out) becoming physical...for a moment.

My Mom, a true Scotswoman (rest her soul) taught me that trick.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old December 5th 04, 12:36 AM
Matt Barrow

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
I simply tried to point out why the OP may not be getting the treatment he
expects.

It's really too bad my existance offends you so much, but that's really
your problem, not mine.

It's not your existance, it your attitude. Also, the attitude of so many of
your peers...particualrly the ones that **** and moan when things are bad,
but who bump their noses on overhead rafters during good times.

I wouldn't want your as my agent (think of the law of agency) because I'd
expect you to move my products, not bloat your ego.

Oh, and my "go after the customer" approach has resulted in some very nice
income. If someone comes in spending their money I expect to give they ROYAL
treatment; you, evidently, expect to be a royal PITA.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old December 5th 04, 12:48 AM
Matt Barrow

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
OK, So what you're saying is that you can't tell by looking at someone if
they have money, but you are offended that I ask they talk to a banker
before I start chauffeuring them around looking at houses?

Have you tried getting some basic information from them first (by yourself)?
Or are you disinterested in earning your commissions?

How do you tell if someone is pulling your leg when they want to buy one

of
your homes? You just trust that they will show up at closing with a pile

of
money?

We ask them a few questions...usually only four or five. We've been 95%
successful.

One who nearly sllipped away waa a young married couple (early 20's) in
which the husband was new at his job and had little credit history, and only
$3000 to put down, so they were going to be difficult to qualify for a
mortgage. And it was. But we worked at it, they got a non-rpime rate, but
they got their house.

Somehow it seems so many businesses are their own worst enemy, or their
"agents".

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old December 5th 04, 12:56 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Steve Foley wrote:

I learned pretty quickly not to bother with someone who isn't pre-qualified.

Your choice -- you would have missed out on commissions on both the houses I've
bought.

Old December 5th 04, 02:07 AM
Andrew Gideon

Matt Barrow wrote:

A prospective home can be inspected and everything needed can be
discerned.

This isn't really true. There are plenty of things about a house that
cannot be discerned just from an inspection.

In my own case, one of the factors we loved about our house when we bought
it was the group of skylights over the master bedroom. And we love them
still. But given the choice of this beauty vs. the noise when it rains,
well...we'd likely still make the same choice...maybe...some days.

But the same is really true of an airplane too. A test flight isn't going
to tell you how you feel after a couple of three-hour legs. And I'd never
have guessed that planes leak...until I noticed my charts getting wet one
rainy day. Do many demo flights happen in rain?

Hmm. I think I have rain on the brain laugh.

- Andrew

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 04 07:27 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 November 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM