iPaq wiring, cradles and mounts for gliders - Ideas??

Old December 4th 03, 03:25 AM
Bob Lepp

I thought the CF sleeve was a perfect mount, glad to see you did too!

I wondered whether it would be possible to "tap into" the required
connections inside the CF sleeve so the iPaq needs no cable plugged in
the bottom, just plug into the sleeve connector.

Has anyone opened up a sleeve? Is it possible to extend the +5V,
Ground and GPS in leads from the bottom connector out through the back
of the sleeve? They must go up to the CF input slot. Might get tricky
though. Lots of winter left to experiment...

Bob

uses the

"tango4" wrote in message ...
I modified a standard iPaq sleeve, screwing an electronic utility box to the
back and a pair of camera ball mounts to that. Ipaq power supply in the
black box. Into the panel I mounted an RJ45 ( PC networking socket ) with a
corresponding tail on the ipaq ( Grey cable in photo) , my Garmin and my
partners Eagle handheld. Now we can fly with a different combination of
GPS/Logger/Handheld simply by undoing 1 cinch nut and unplugging the RJ45.

Pictures of the mount at
http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/ph...asp?albumid=29 the flat
ali plat is only for standing the unit up for photo's.

Low cost mount - camera ball mounts $10 or less the club only stumps up for
the turned piece on the panel. The RJ45 gets standard wired, everyone gets
12v delivered to the panel front to run their ipaq or whatever and by
jumpering the cable you can drive fixed in final glides computers etc.

Ian

Old December 4th 03, 05:15 AM
tango4

Been there done that and it's not that simple.

The serial connections are *not* present within the CF card pack or any
other expansion pack for that matter. The expansion bus has an external
battery pack input that could be used for power supply but without the
presence of the serial its pretty pointless.

The internal bios of the iPaq supports extra serial ports so a hardware
serial to bus adaptor could be used ( and I did use a CF serial port ) but
you are using a steamroller to crack a peanut.

Much more promising is removing the ipaq innards from the handheld casing
and mounting them directly into an replacement bezel which is mounted in the
panel. 1 It's unstealable 2- It takes up less room that way. 3 It's easier
to shade the screen and make visible.

Ian

om...

Old December 4th 03, 11:45 PM