Greatest Number of Traps

Old March 26th 05, 10:32 PM
Bob

Yes, the ball, mirror type, replaced the paddles. About 1958 I think
on all cept the "Happy Valley". Coincident with the angled deck mods.
aka 27 Charlie.

Old March 26th 05, 10:38 PM
Bob

If we are going to count RIOs, EWOs, BNs and passengers as somehow
having a "trap", the I guess President Bush would qualify with one on
the Lincoln. Not trying to disparage anyone but IMHO only the guy at
the stick "traps" all others "ride". Guys who flew two seat planes,
S-2s, S-3s, etc. didn't ever log traps from the right side. Why log a
trap for only non-pilots?

Old March 26th 05, 10:58 PM
Mike Kanze

Bob,

Certainly no argument here, if "credit for the act" is the criterion.

But as a B/N I (or any other "rider") either enjoyed or suffered the same
consequences, albeit a microsecond later than the pilot due to the slight
setback of the B/N's seat.

--
Mike Kanze

"You're never too old to become younger."

- Mae West

ups.com...

Old March 27th 05, 03:00 AM
John Miller

Bob wrote:
If we are going to count RIOs, EWOs, BNs and passengers as somehow
having a "trap", the I guess President Bush would qualify with one on
the Lincoln. Not trying to disparage anyone but IMHO only the guy at
the stick "traps" all others "ride". Guys who flew two seat planes,
S-2s, S-3s, etc. didn't ever log traps from the right side. Why log a
trap for only non-pilots?

Bob --
Your point is well taken, but the TA Grand Club does seem to be logging
them for RIOs.

--
John Miller
email domain: n4vu.com; username: jsm(@)
Old March 27th 05, 08:24 PM
Bob

No question, but all the EM's riding in the older ASW planes, S-2, S-3,
AD-5W et al never logged a trap. I rode back seat in the F-4 with
several guys and never got to log a trap. Right seat in maybe 200 S-2
landings, and no logged traps. I'm not asking for tham just pointing
out the discrepency with NFO traps. I will agree, riding right seat
through a trap was 100% scarier than any I made. Phantom RIOs could
barely see forward during a trap. But there was no column in our log
book for a "scare factor". Just red and green ink for clues. BTW, I
had 984 traps and always wanted the last 16. Next life maybe.

Old April 5th 05, 04:22 AM
MICHAEL OLEARY

In Prowlers, we log traps for both our front seat and back seat ECMOs. Day
and Night traps are also differentiated for ECMOS.
-Moe

ups.com...

Old April 5th 05, 07:11 PM
Mike Kanze

Moe,

In Prowlers, we log traps for both our front seat and back seat ECMOs. Day
and Night traps are also differentiated for ECMOS.

Ditto for the Intruder community B/Ns of the 1960s and 1970s, and probably
for all carrier-aircraft NFO positions back then. If this weren't the case,
I am sure that we would have heard about it through the grapevine.

Obviously we did not log any of the various forms of pilot time, just
Special Crew time - no matter what we actually did. Other than that logbook
entries for 132x folks were identical to those of our 131x brethren.

(In my case the "actually did" includes a few touch-and-goes in the mighty
Mississippi MiG (T-2) during my stash tour at VT-7.)

--
Mike Kanze

"If truth is beauty, how come no one has their hair done in the library?"

- Lily Tomlin

"MICHAEL OLEARY" wrote in message
In Prowlers, we log traps for both our front seat and back seat ECMOs.
Day and Night traps are also differentiated for ECMOS.
-Moe

ups.com...