"V-22 squadron achieves successin Iraq, USMC says"

Old February 10th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Peter Skelton

Default "V-22 squadron achieves successin Iraq, USMC says"

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:37:23 GMT, "La N"
wrote:

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I decided to look
it
up
myself:

Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested: "Supplying War"
by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by Julian Thompson.

Heheheh. What would my friends think if they spotted me reading those books
on my free time ...

That the library's logistics system had supplied the wrong
material?

Peter Skelton
Old February 10th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
La N

"Peter Skelton" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 15:20:27 -0800, redc1c4
wrote:

Peter Skelton wrote:

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:42:51 GMT, "La N"
wrote:

"Vince" wrote in message
news La N wrote:
"Colin Campbell" (remove underscore) wrote
in
message ...

You said something dumb - then myself and red started making fun of
you by - using standardized logistics terminology that you did not
understand.

Well, Vince, if nothing else, you can bust Colin on very bad grammar

- nilita

he does not know the difference between supply and logistics so the
case
is closed

Well, it has been an "interesting" debate between 2 people, each of
whom has
never been known to admit when they have been wrong ...%)

That is not a fair accusation when aimed at Vince.

Peter Skelton

cite?

redc1c4,
who's seen Ponce be wrong many times, but who's never seen him admit it.

I've never seen you admit it either, and I've sure as hell seen
you wrong.

Ayup. Not admitting that one is wrong seems to be a defended Usenet
"disease".

(The whole V-22 thing has two wrong sides screaming
yes and no about something clearly unproven.)

What Vince does, like most posters, is abandons a point where he
is clearly incorrect. Pragmatically speaking, it's a good
approach.

It is one approach. And, now, can you tell me where Vince has been
"incorrect"?

I'm being facetious. I do believe that most posters believe themselves to
be *right* all of the time; and, if they "abaondon a point" knowing they're
wrong, it's barely noticeable.

Anyway, this supply/logistics debate seems to be about semantics. People
can mean what they want it to mean. The "proper" [military] definition and
distinct interpretation is helpful.

- nilita

Old February 10th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
La N

wrote:

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I decided to look
it
up
myself:

Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested: "Supplying War"
by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by Julian Thompson.

Heheheh. What would my friends think if they spotted me reading those
books
on my free time ...

That the library's logistics system had supplied the wrong
material?

It's bad enough that I had to return a book, unread, due to lack of time and
not wanting to pay the library fine. It's a book I would rather read than
one on military logistics ... .

And, btw, I'm wondering if anybody here has read the book in question.
It's: _Too Far from Home: A Story of Life and Death in Space_
by Chris Jones (Author)

Here is an editorial review from amazon.com:

"Editorial Reviews

From Publishers Weekly
When the space shuttle Columbia broke up during its re-entry into Earth's
atmosphere in February 2003, two American astronauts were still aboard the
International Space Station, along with a Russian flight engineer. With
further NASA flights suspended for months, perhaps years, questions began to
emerge not only about how to bring the three men back, but how to provide
them with enough supplies while they remained in space. Jones first wrote
about the Expedition 6 team in an award-winning article for Esquire (where
he is a contributing editor), and his story combines gripping narrative and
strongly defined characters. Though extensive accounts of the Americans'
backgrounds seems at first to put the brakes on, it's a necessary
counterweight to parallel passages about the little-understood Russian space
program-essential information because the three eventually took "an
accelerated, lung-crushing dive" in a Soyuz capsule. In addition to that
adventure, Jones's reporting is filled with details of life aboard the space
station, from the amazing beauty of a space walk to the more mundane problem
of "taking a crap" in zero gravity. That sort of frank talk enhances
readers' identification with the astronauts, making their drama all the more
engrossing. (Mar. 6) "

- nilita

Old February 10th 08, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Colin Campbell[_3_]

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 10:37:46 +0000, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I decided to look it
up
myself:

Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested: "Supplying War"
by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by Julian Thompson.

IMO the best book for learning about 'real world' military logistics
is the chapter on the subject in the book: 'How To Make War' by James
Dunnigan.

--
There can be no triumph without loss.
No victory without suffering.
Old February 10th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
La N

wrote:

In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I decided to look
it
up
myself:

Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested: "Supplying War"
by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by Julian Thompson.

IMO the best book for learning about 'real world' military logistics
is the chapter on the subject in the book: 'How To Make War' by James
Dunnigan.

Okay, that I've heard of.

- nilita

Old February 10th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Vince

wrote:

In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I
decided to look it up myself:
Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested:
"Supplying War" by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by
Julian Thompson.

IMO the best book for learning about 'real world' military
logistics is the chapter on the subject in the book: 'How To Make
War' by James Dunnigan.

Okay, that I've heard of.

- nilita

the naval classic for the front end of fleet logistics is
Beans Bullets and Black oil

http://ftp.metalab.unc.edu/hyperwar/...BO/BBBO-2.html

The back end is
shipbuilding and similar procurement

Vince
Old February 10th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
La N

"Vince" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

In message slsrj.19263$C61.5339@edtnps89, La N
writes

Okay, since now I am interested in military logistics, I
decided to look it up myself:
Two cracking books on the subject, if you're interested:
"Supplying War" by Martin van Creveld, and "Lifeblood of War" by
Julian Thompson.
IMO the best book for learning about 'real world' military
logistics is the chapter on the subject in the book: 'How To Make
War' by James Dunnigan.

Okay, that I've heard of.

- nilita

the naval classic for the front end of fleet logistics is
Beans Bullets and Black oil

http://ftp.metalab.unc.edu/hyperwar/...BO/BBBO-2.html

The back end is
shipbuilding and similar procurement

Vince

Okay, another idea. You know, I really *do* look these things up when you
guys pique my interest. But, I'm also overbooking myself with *other*
projects and stuff to read ...%)

And, btw, I just went to amazon.com to look at these books.

Interestingly, customers that bought Colin's suggested "How To Make War"
also bought such selections as: "Dictionary of Modern War" by Edward
Luttwak, "How To Stop a War" by Dunnigan, "War: Ends and Means" by Angelo
Codevilla.

"Beans Bullets and Black Oil" seems to be out of print or out of stock.

- nilita

Old February 10th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval, us.military.army
Jack Linthicum

On Feb 10, 3:11 pm, "La N" wrote:
"Vince" wrote in message

. ..

in messagenews:ihkuq3hm3ipao88pp106pt4ql0rdeijj54@4ax .com...
wrote:

[...]

Depends on whether you want to spend $68 (low) or $450 (high) from
Alibris.
Old February 10th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
Vince

La N wrote:
"Vince" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

the cite has the book its on the web

Vince
Old February 10th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval,us.military.army
La N

"Vince" wrote in message
. ..
La N wrote:
"Vince" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, after I posted the above, I looked at the cite. It has various
chapters available to read. Bookmarked.

- nilita