US - State Record question - handicapping

Old March 22nd 05, 07:11 PM
Mike Johnson

Default US - State Record question - handicapping

When flying a US state record attempt for speed, I
understand that the achieved speed is handicapped. My
question is whether the minimum distance for that speed
record is also handicapped.

In other words, if I fly something with a handicap of .8,
can I file a 300K O&R speed record claim with a flight of
301 actual km or do I have to fly a minimum distance of
300/.8=375 km to qualify for the 300km O&R speed record?

Thanks
Old March 22nd 05, 07:24 PM
Marc Ramsey

Mike Johnson wrote:
In other words, if I fly something with a handicap of .8,
can I file a 300K O&R speed record claim with a flight of
301 actual km or do I have to fly a minimum distance of
300/.8=375 km to qualify for the 300km O&R speed record?

My understanding is yes, you must increase the minimum distance in
proportion to the handicap...

Marc

Old March 22nd 05, 08:03 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mike Johnson wrote:
When flying a US state record attempt for speed, I
understand that the achieved speed is handicapped. My
question is whether the minimum distance for that speed
record is also handicapped.

In other words, if I fly something with a handicap of .8,
can I file a 300K O&R speed record claim with a flight of
301 actual km or do I have to fly a minimum distance of
300/.8=375 km to qualify for the 300km O&R speed record?

Only the Sports class uses handicaps; the other classes do not. For
Sports class speed records, a handicapped distance is flown. Be sure to
check the rules on the SSA site at

http://ssa.org/members/badgesandrecords/forms.asp

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old March 22nd 05, 08:31 PM
Gary Emerson

If you are going to attempt a 100k triangle speed in sports class you
need to fly 100k actual distance and then your achieved speed is then
handicapped.

If you attempt a distance flight then your actual distance is handicapped.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:47 PM
Eric Greenwell

Gary Emerson wrote:

If you are going to attempt a 100k triangle speed in sports class you
need to fly 100k actual distance and then your achieved speed is
then handicapped.

The rules for US state records make it sound like the distance flown is
handicapped and used for the claimed task length, then the speed is
determined by dividing the actual time by the handicapped distance:

4.0 Sports Class Handicapping : Determine the CDH handicap from the
current handicap list.
a. Handicapped Distance calculation: Multiply
the Official Distance (SC3 1.2.1) by the current CDH handicap.
Annotate the record distance on the claim form as “HMI” (see 6.0b
below)
b. Handicapped Speed calculation: Verify that the Handicapped
Distance is not less than the claimed record task length. Divide the
Handicapped Distance by the Duration (SC3 1.2.6). Annotate the record
speed on the claim form as “HMPH” (see 6.0b below).

I've not actually submitted any Sports class speed claims, however.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Big Brother Wants to Know if You Have a Misdemeanor Record Before You Fly jls Home Built 1 August 11th 04 04:36 PM
State Record Question - Minimum Increase for Distance Records Gary Emerson Soaring 3 November 11th 03 04:18 PM
Homebuilts by State Ron Wanttaja Home Built 14 October 15th 03 08:30 PM