OSH for the uninitiated...

Old June 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
Jay Honeck

Default OSH for the uninitiated...

With just 7 weeks till the Big One in Oshkosh, WI (Gawd -- it's just
like waiting for Christmas when you're a little kid!), it dawned on me
that some of you guys and gals may not be familiar with the OSH
experience.

Well, start here for a view of the 2003 fly-in:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/oshkosh_2003.htm

And see this one, too:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/rogue's_gallery_i_-_p.htm#OSHKOSH

Go here for a completely different view of OSH in the off-season:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/oshkosh_in_winter_2004.htm

And end up here for a view of last year's fly-in:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/2004_os...airventure.htm

Enjoy!

Mary and I will be spending the last week of July with our butts
planted firmly in the North 40 camping area -- for the 23rd consecutive
summer -- so if you're wondering about something or 'nother at Oshkosh,
we've probably already figgered it out.

Blue skies!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 05, 11:00 PM
John T

In my chapters newsletter, I put out a call for articles about attending
Oshkosh. Not the usual "good shoes and plenty of water" things, but
things like best on and off site places to eat, places to buy sovieners
(sp), off site attractions, etc.

Anyone have something like that to post here?

John

Old June 4th 05, 03:16 AM
Margy

John T wrote:
In my chapters newsletter, I put out a call for articles about attending
Oshkosh. Not the usual "good shoes and plenty of water" things, but
things like best on and off site places to eat, places to buy sovieners
(sp), off site attractions, etc.

Anyone have something like that to post here?

John

Wentz (sp) on the lake
Fox River Brewery (outside with music and the drawbridge)
The place in Mort De Butte (white house?) long drive
Old June 4th 05, 04:19 AM
Jack Allison

Jay Honeck wrote:
With just 7 weeks till the Big One in Oshkosh, WI (Gawd -- it's just
like waiting for Christmas when you're a little kid!)

7 weeks? That's...like...less than two months...very cool! Yes Jay, it
is like a kid waiting for Christmas...maybe worse this year for me since
it's my first time flying in as an owner and the second fly-in for me
this year. Man, who'd have thought that an FBO meltdown a year ago
would have put me in this spot?

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old June 4th 05, 04:22 AM
Jay Honeck

In my chapters newsletter, I put out a call for articles about attending
Oshkosh. Not the usual "good shoes and plenty of water" things, but
things like best on and off site places to eat, places to buy sovieners
(sp), off site attractions, etc.

Anyone have something like that to post here?

Hoo, boy. You've opened up a big can of opinionated worms here!

But let me start:

* Best Sandwich off-field: Friar Tuck's (just north of the North 40)
* Best Breakfast: LeSure's Restaurant (just northeast of Friar Tuck's)
* Best Bar: Charcoal Pit's patio overlooking North 40.
* Best Breakfast Place for Meeting Aviation Celebrities: Hilton. (I've
run into Bob Hoover, Chuck Yeager, Baron Hilton, and a host of less
illustrious luminaries while standing in line waiting for rubber
eggs...)
* Best food on the grounds: The Friday Fish Fry at the Seaplane Base
(okay, I know that's cheating a bit!)
* Best place to find reasonably priced souvenirs: Fly Market
* Best place to find free souvenirs: NASA pavillion
* Least known great deal on the grounds: The Canon tent will LEND YOU a
zillion dollar camera and lenses for use at Airventure! All you need
is a driver's license and a credit card, which they only charge if you
don't return the camera!
* Best forum: This group's very own Jim Weir and Gail Allinson (Jim's
wife) put together a "Best of Show" forum at every OSH. It saves you a
TON of time, and I usually even agree with Jim's choices! (And I
ALWAYS agree with Gail's... ;-)
* Best airshow: Alongside the southern edge of Rwy 27 in the North 40
campground, watching arrivals/departures every afternoon after the
"real" airshow...
* Off-site Attractions: Why would you EVER leave the grounds for
anything but food and drink? There are 80,000 things to do on the
grounds, and one never has time to do them all.
* Best party: The Rec.Aviation party at our campsite on Wednesday
night after the airshow!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 4th 05, 02:06 PM
Jay Honeck

Man, who'd have thought that an FBO meltdown a year ago would have put me
in this spot?

It's called "terminal indebtedness"....

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 4th 05, 05:23 PM
RST Engineering

1. The dorms at the University of Oshkosh (for those that don't like to
camp in thunderstorm country). Best room rate in town, and I've never known
anybody to be turned away, reservation or not. No air conditioning in the
rooms and dorm style showers and potties, but the all-you-can-eat food means
you only have to really eat once a day. If you take the dollar shuttle bus
from the field back to the dorms at noon, the food is about half-price the
dinner tab and it is still all you can eat.

2. The free shuttle bus to Copps Department Store. Upscale K-mart with a
good food store attached. Perhaps not as well priced as K-Mart, but not a
gouge either. Shuttle bus runs about once every half hour. THere is a
Chinese place about two blocks (?) down from Copps that is arguably the best
Chinese I've ever had. It, too, is a buffet all you can eat for very little
money.

3. The free shuttle bus to the discount mall across the freeway. Not all
of our SOs yearn to spend 24/7 looking at fast glass and smooth aluminum.

I know there is more; I just don't remember it until I get there.

Jim

(33rd year at the show; 30th straight year for a forum.)

Old June 4th 05, 05:26 PM
RST Engineering

Are we still thinking about a convoy? Jay's party is Saturday and we will
be leaving Grass Valley early on Friday (or perhaps even Thursday if the
weather looks crappy.)

We generally shoot for Morgan County UT for the first stop and Alliance NE
for the night. Next day is pretty much a piece of cake into Iowa City with
one gas stop.

What sort of TAS do you get out of that rascal at 10.5 or so?

Jim

Old June 4th 05, 05:29 PM
RST Engineering

[blush]

BTW, I'm giving the dress rehearsal of that technical forum this afternoon
at 2 at Marysville (Golden West EAA Fly-In) for anybody that can make it.

jw

Old June 4th 05, 06:51 PM
Morgans

"RST Engineering" wrote

2. The free shuttle bus to Copps Department Store. Shuttle bus runs
about once every half hour.

3. The free shuttle bus to the discount mall across the freeway.

Where do you pick up the shuttle buses, the main entrance?
--
Jim in NC