Polarized Sun Glasses

Old May 26th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Polarized Sun Glasses

How many of you use polarized sun glasses? Are they common? Are
they popular? Do they work?

I personally use Sun Tigers.

Richard
Old May 26th 12, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

On 5/25/2012 8:22 PM, Richard wrote:
How many of you use polarized sun glasses? Are they common? Are
they popular? Do they work?

If my sunglasses were polarized, I'd have to tilt my head one way to
read the radio display, and then 90 degrees to read the Cambridge 302.
When I told my optician that I did not want polarized sunglasses, the
question I got was "are you a pilot?".

Tony

Old May 26th 12, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On May 25, 6:22*pm, Richard wrote:
How many of you use polarized sun glasses? * *Are they common? *Are
they popular? *Do they work?

I personally use Sun Tigers.

Richard

I often do-Serengetis. Have to do the 45 deg head tilt to see the LCD
info on the Westerboer.

The Streak is fine in portrait mode, which I prefer over landscape.

Mike C
Old May 26th 12, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Mike Ground

On May 25, 5:22*pm, Richard wrote:
How many of you use polarized sun glasses? * *Are they common? *Are
they popular? *Do they work?

I personally use Sun Tigers.

Richard

I use polarized prescription sun glasses. They help me see features
such as haze domes, darker areas of cloud bases, etc. They also
reduce eye fatigue on long flights. I can clearly see all the
screens my 302, 303, Becker radio and transponder and the Oudie2.
However, I was very disappointed to discover that my new PowerFLARM
screen (portable) is only visible if I tilt my head more than 60
degrees. A few years ago a batch of 302’s had the same problem but I
think Cambridge recalled them and corrected the problem. My 302 must
have been after the problem was corrected...it was fine from day 1. I
hope PowerFLARM addresses this issue. It seems silly to be flying
around with such a good safety device but not being able to see
it.

MM
Old May 26th 12, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 25, 2012 8:22:56 PM UTC-4, Richard wrote:
How many of you use polarized sun glasses? Are they common? Are
they popular? Do they work?

Besides the problems with LCD instrument screens, polarized sun glasses are said to reduce the visibility of other aircraft because they reduce the "glare" off the surface of the other traffic. For that reason, polarized glasses may reduce your situational awareness and increase your possibility of mid-air collision.

If you take off your polarized sunglasses, you will sometimes see a flash of sun bouncing off a banking glider's wings (often in a spot where you did not see the aircraft before the flash).

Polarized glasses make the clouds look "pretty" but I'd rather see the traffic better. Glare is your friend.

Dr. Dan had a Soaring Rx column on sunglasses in Soaring magazine recently that seemed pretty good. It covers some other points not mentioned here. Like 'avoid color shifting lenses.'
Old May 26th 12, 03:31 AM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

I have read that while polarized glasses cut down on glare, they also cut down on your ability to see "slightly shiny" features of the ground. This could hinder your ability to determine if a particular site is a safe landing area. Again, I don't have experience with this, but just what I've heard. Also, there are the issues with electronics discussed above.
Old May 26th 12, 01:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, May 25, 2012 7:54:06 PM UTC-6, Mike Mike Ground wrote:
[...]

For me, the tint helps with the haze domes and cloud resolution. Brown works best for me. However, I am colorblind. On the other hand, I only need 1..5 diopters for the PC and reading, my distance vision remains very good.

IMVHO, polarized lenses are fine, for fishing and sailing, not for flying.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley
Old May 26th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On May 26, 5:13*am, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

I use polarized lenses 100% of the time when flying. in addition to
eliminating glare, they significantly darken the sky without darkening
my view of gliders. This means I have a higher contrast ratio and can
see traffic more easily. While I may miss the occasional glint of a
wing, I gladly trade that for improved traffic visibility whenever I
am scanning. This reason alone is worth it to me. Try a pair from
the safety of the ground next time you are searching for the sniffer
on the ridge line. In addition, polarized lenses definitely improve
visibility of haze domes and cloud whips (again because the background
sky is darker.) So far I don't have a problem with instruments going
black, although I am disappointed to hear PowerFlarm screwed this up.
There is no debilitating colored light show through the plex canopy
either. While it's true that you can't immediately see sparkles off
the water, I often tilt my head when scanning the ground for signs of
wind, and if present, the sparkles "jump out", making me more aware of
their presence. additionally, I think thin smoke is easier to see on
the ground with polarization.

I need bifocals for flying, and finding good polarized bifocals has
been challenging. Suncloud makes some nice, quality ones for $100.
You can buy them on Amazon, along with others. Other sources/
suggestions for good polarized bifocals?

Matt

Old May 26th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On May 26, 10:02*am, "Matt Herron Jr." wrote:
[...]

OPTX 20/20 stick on bifocals have worked well for me.

Polarized Sun Glasses and PDAs Michael Reid Soaring 12 April 11th 10 02:36 PM
Non-polarized blue-blocker (orange) clip-ons/flip-ups? Frank[_1_] Soaring 3 September 28th 07 05:30 PM
Carrying glasses? Emily Piloting 58 September 13th 06 12:27 AM
Polarized Instrument Display Rick Soaring 14 May 14th 06 02:22 PM
More on Sunreader glasses Eric Greenwell Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 11:38 PM