100 Hour Inspections

Old November 30th 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default 100 Hour Inspections

Often club membership has a waiting period, based on the
number of airplanes and on the number of instructors. As a
result, instructors usually do not have to wait to join and
they may even get a discount on fees ad dues.

I don't think the waiting period waiver would come into play, but the
discount on fees and dues just might, depending on the FSDO. I'd find
it a very weak argument however. It doesn't make the CFI an employee,
nor does it have the CFI "supplying" the aircraft.

Now, what if a club requires, for the initial checkout only, that a
club-approved (but possibly non-member) CFI conduct the checkout, and
further instruction is at the member's disscretion?

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old November 30th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I was just commenting on flying club policies. Club bylaws
often set a ratio or pilots to instructors, so clubs are
always looking for instructors to join. Thus waiting
periods often don't apply to instructors. Some clubs have
other rules, such that, say, The Cessna Employee Flying Club
does have some instructor hired to run the club and other
instructors to teach within the club, but all are Cessna
employees first as their primary job.

Cessna club does not allow non club affiliated CFI to
instruct in the club airplanes, but their policy is still to
do the 100 hour inspections, whether for dual or solo
rental, AFAIK.

om...

Old December 1st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jim Macklin wrote:
If the CFI rents your airplane and "hires out" to give
instruction he is doing the operation for hire as the
airplane operator.

No, it's not "for hire" as far as the use of that term
in the reg. There is specific wording in the 100 hour
regulation that covers instruction (in addition to the
rule about carrying passengers for hire).
Old December 1st 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Judah wrote:

If both I and the CFI are club members, who is providing the aircraft - me or
the CFI? (Presumably, I'm paying for it that day.)

This is a dodge that many clubs do. They claim they are renting the
plane and you have to go deal with the instructor (who are not their
employees) separately to avoid the 100 hour inspection.

Frankly, we did the 100hours anyway. There is maintenance that
needs to be done then anyhow and for things like 172's the
inspection when done on a recurrent basis is a no brainer.

Also remember than an annual resets the 100 hour clock. Techncially
since we had a cheap IA doing our maintenance, we did annuals every
100 hour.

Old December 1st 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Jose wrote:
Often club membership has a waiting period, based on the number of
airplanes and on the number of instructors. As a result, instructors
usually do not have to wait to join and they may even get a discount
on fees ad dues.

I don't think the waiting period waiver would come into play, but the
discount on fees and dues just might, depending on the FSDO. I'd find
it a very weak argument however. It doesn't make the CFI an employee,
nor does it have the CFI "supplying" the aircraft.

Sort of the gold standard is where does the money go. If I pay the
"club" for the instruction and they pay the instructor (most likely
keeping a "cut" for themselves), then it's pretty clear. If
I go out and have to deal with the paying the instructor (even if
he has to be vetted by the club and/or their insurance provider)
then you could argue that the 100 hours aren't required.
Old December 1st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Ron Natalie wrote in
:

Also remember than an annual resets the 100 hour clock. Techncially
since we had a cheap IA doing our maintenance, we did annuals every
100 hour.

Doesn't the FAA look down on this practice? I had heard that if an IA is
doing numerous Annuals on the same plane in a year, the FAA will flag this as
an IA who is somehow trying to cheat the system, or cooking the books, or
something.
Old December 1st 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The scope of a 100 hour and an annual inspection are the
same, the difference is that a 100 hour can be done by any
A&P and it is only recorded in tie logbook [maintenance
record], while an annual must be done by an AI.

Appendix D to Part 43-Scope and Detail of Items (as
Applicable to the Particular Aircraft) To Be Included in
Annual and 100-Hour Inspections
(a) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall, before that inspection, remove or open all necessary
inspection plates, access doors, fairing, and cowling. He
shall thoroughly clean the aircraft and aircraft engine.

(b) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of
the fuselage and hull group:

(1) Fabric and skin-for deterioration, distortion, other
evidence of failure, and defective or insecure attachment of
fittings.

(2) Systems and components-for improper installation,
apparent defects, and unsatisfactory operation.

(3) Envelope, gas bags, ballast tanks, and related parts-for
poor condition.

(c) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of
the cabin and cockpit group:

(1) Generally-for uncleanliness and loose equipment that
might foul the controls.

(2) Seats and safety belts-for poor condition and apparent
defects.

(3) Windows and windshields-for deterioration and breakage.

(4) Instruments-for poor condition, mounting, marking, and
(where practicable) improper operation.

(5) Flight and engine controls-for improper installation and
improper operation.

(6) Batteries-for improper installation and improper charge.

(7) All systems-for improper installation, poor general
condition, apparent and obvious defects, and insecurity of
attachment.

(d) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) components of the engine
and nacelle group as follows:

(1) Engine section-for visual evidence of excessive oil,
fuel, or hydraulic leaks, and sources of such leaks.

(2) Studs and nuts-for improper torquing and obvious
defects.

(3) Internal engine-for cylinder compression and for metal
particles or foreign matter on screens and sump drain plugs.
If there is weak cylinder compression, for improper internal
condition and improper internal tolerances.

(4) Engine mount-for cracks, looseness of mounting, and
looseness of engine to mount.

(5) Flexible vibration dampeners-for poor condition and
deterioration.

(6) Engine controls-for defects, improper travel, and
improper safetying.

(7) Lines, hoses, and clamps-for leaks, improper condition
and looseness.

(8) Exhaust stacks-for cracks, defects, and improper
attachment.

(9) Accessories-for apparent defects in security of
mounting.

(10) All systems-for improper installation, poor general
condition, defects, and insecure attachment.

(11) Cowling-for cracks, and defects.

(e) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of
the landing gear group:

(1) All units-for poor condition and insecurity of
attachment.

(2) Shock absorbing devices-for improper oleo fluid level.

(3) Linkages, trusses, and members-for undue or excessive
wear fatigue, and distortion.

(4) Retracting and locking mechanism-for improper operation.

(5) Hydraulic lines-for leakage.

(6) Electrical system-for chafing and improper operation of
switches.

(7) Wheels-for cracks, defects, and condition of bearings.

(8) Tires-for wear and cuts.

(9) Brakes-for improper adjustment.

(10) Floats and skis-for insecure attachment and obvious or
apparent defects.

(f) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) all components of the wing
and center section assembly for poor general condition,
fabric or skin deterioration, distortion, evidence of
failure, and insecurity of attachment.

(g) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) all components and systems
that make up the complete empennage assembly for poor
general condition, fabric or skin deterioration, distortion,
evidence of failure, insecure attachment, improper component
installation, and improper component operation.

(h) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of
the propeller group:

(1) Propeller assembly-for cracks, nicks, binds, and oil
leakage.

(2) Bolts-for improper torquing and lack of safetying.

(3) Anti-icing devices-for improper operations and obvious
defects.

(4) Control mechanisms-for improper operation, insecure
mounting, and restricted travel.

(i) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) the following components of
the radio group:

(1) Radio and electronic equipment-for improper installation
and insecure mounting.

(2) Wiring and conduits-for improper routing, insecure
mounting, and obvious defects.

(3) Bonding and shielding-for improper installation and poor
condition.

(4) Antenna including trailing antenna-for poor condition,
insecure mounting, and improper operation.

(j) Each person performing an annual or 100-hour inspection
shall inspect (where applicable) each installed
miscellaneous item that is not otherwise covered by this
listing for improper installation and improper operation.

. ..