Glider crow-hops:

Old September 1st 12, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Glider crow-hops:

I must be confusing multiple threads. I thought I heard Bill D say this is
an experienced pilot. I've also heard he's newly cleared to solo. Is he
experienced or not?

I've heard this is a well known glider and I've heard that the seals have
been removed to "improve" control feel. Is this the glider Robert Mudd
built? I ask because I spoke with him this morning and he was in no way
pleased. He said he'd join in the thread so I won't attempt to convey his
feelings.

Finally, I agree completely with Andreas.

And for you, Bill after 5,489 takeoffs and landings (and never a damaged
aircraft), I'm afraid of neither.

"Andreas Maurer" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 12:18:16 -0700 (PDT), Bill D
wrote:

Here's how I would do it. Go somewhere with vast space. A 250' wide
concrete runway would do - a dry lake is better.

From my German point of view I'm amazed - we don't have such vast
runways, apart from some famous places like Frankfurth Rhein/Main
airport which are unfortunately reserved for Boeing and Airbus...

But I'm really amazed that someone really proposes to use such a huge
airfield just to do the first single-seater flight on a glider that is
really easy to fly. Kind of over-kill in my opinion.

So, that's the downside. What's the gain? Beyond removing the fear, the
pilot learns the glider responds to control inputs normally,
how it steers while on it's wheel

Please excuse me if I laugh. This glider in question will be airborne
after ten seconds at maximum - it's hardly necessary to learn how it
steers on its wheel.

I'd like tomention something else:
To me, this pilot in question is extremely scared. So scared that he
does not even dare to make a simple aoerotow on a glider that is
really easy to fly, but instead tries to find any excuse to avoid a
"real" flight.

I strongly doubt that this pilot is able to handle the combination of
new glider and new launch method, let alone stress if something
unexpected happens.
A combination of an unexperienced, scared pilot and new, untrained
procedures is a dangerous thing.

In my opinion some more training (in another single-seater?) is
necessary - experience helps to get rid of fears.

Andreas

Old September 1st 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Johns hitting pretty close here but hasn't actually said what I think he is getting at.

I also am not against the Crow Hops but think there are some opportunities to remove some of the 1st's as it has been proposed.

The OP should try doing some crow hops with an instructor in a two seater 1st.
The OP should have an experienced CFI do a Crow hop in the glider 1st, and then instruct him on how to do them.
There may be some other opportunities to make this a baby steps event instead of jumping in with both feet, which is sort of the point of doing the crow hops in the 1st place.

Brian

Crow Foot wrenches Ron Webb Home Built 6 March 7th 08 04:42 PM
Today at Oshkosh [04/34] - "03 'Old Crow' and 'Gentleman Jim' Mustangs.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise Aviation Photos 0 July 25th 07 04:31 AM
Blue Angels multiple hops for training Tom Callahan Aviation Photos 0 December 14th 06 05:59 PM
Short Hops Lately Larry Owning 9 December 9th 06 02:31 PM
EAA Hops and Props - OSH Jim Burns Piloting 3 May 16th 05 06:34 PM