Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch?

Old November 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Thorsten Föge

Default Biggest Glider Ever Launched via Winch?

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net schrieb im Newsbeitrag

The largest GLIDER was the Messerschmitt 321 gigant but I doubt they
winched it. http://www.waffenhq.de/flugzeuge/me321.html

Hi Daniel,
is not correct. The largest glider in the II.WW was the Mamut, built by
Junkers.

Regards

Thorsten

Old November 15th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill

I like ie when gary says things three times...

Steve.

Old November 15th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill

I like it when Gary says things three times...

Steve

Old November 15th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Hill

I like it when Gary says things three times...

(sorry...I couldn't help myself)

Sierra Hotel.

Old November 16th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yea, check this out Daniel:

http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/JUN...MammutPage.htm

BTW, Bill, did you ever talk with the new owner of my Lark about your
super fantastic rigging aids? If not, please send me your new email
address. The Lark is no "Mammut" but as you know the wings are a tad
heavy. I trailered it out of no less than 5 fields last year and
rigged it countless other times flying at Region 7 and XC training.
He's planning to fly it at Region 7 next year and would appreciate your
system. (so would I as I may be the back seater again).

Old November 16th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I'm going to have to retrieve the CAD drawings for the Lark solo rigging
system from an old hard drive and clean them up so others can read the
drawings.

Bill

ups.com...

Old November 16th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
I have not turned around at our airport during a tow, but we did it out
at the Alvord Desert! We made a very wide turn and ended the launch
back at camp where we had started. We regularly got to 2000ft to
2500ft, without having to turn around, but we have miles of dry lake to
use. The tow line back releases as soon as there is any slack, so I
can't see any way to turn around or back up at our airport, but I tried
something new the other day that did work very well. Given that we
have a set distance to tow here, I figured that if I aggressively
zigzagged the sailplane on the way up, I would effectively get a longer
tow. It worked very well and I got higher than I've ever gotten at
this airport, 1500ft agl. Our weather has not given us another chance
to work on perfecting this technique, but I think with good
communication and coordination between the pilot, the driver and the
winch operator, and a stronger wind, I just might be able to get as
high as 2000ft agl.

And on the subject of towing heavy gliders, I have winched our 2-32
with 3 people in it, I think we were probably close to 1400lbs, and it
worked surprisingly well.

Winch launched a 2-32 off of a nose-hook or CG hook?

Old November 17th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We winched our 2-32 from the stock hook, which is back from the nose
about 3 feet. You end up stalling the elevator a little at the top but
it still works well.

Gary Boggs

www.nwskysports.com

The 2-33 has a very similar hook, watch the video on my web site, or
come to Oregon and get signed off!