First Solo

Old August 15th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
W P Dixon

Default First Solo

Hi Gang!,
Sorry I don't get to check in much on the group, I just find going
through google to be a PITA! Did want to let everyone know that though
the training has been going pretty slow(flew the Cub 3 hours in April).
Finally went and put in 4 hours weekend before last and flew again on
Thursday...and got surprised! My first solo!
My first landing was pretty dern ugly to say the least but figured
out the errors and made corrections and the last two were very nice.
Big difference in how the Cub felt with a CFI in the front versus the
lighter load. So I had the first landing ..a close groundloop! HAHA A
nice wheel landing for the second and a nice stall landing for the
third. All in 10-12 k crosswinds.
I wasn't nervous about the solo, but was sure happy as heck to have
it out of the way! Best part is the new girlfriend had gotten me a 200
flying gift card (so to speak) while I was taking a shower after my
successful solo! A nice dinner in Atlanta at Carraba's for celebration
made for a well done solo day (to me at least!). I'm getting realllllll
close now guys and gals! Hope to go back to Macon and fly again by the
weekend, since I have to help my niece and her hubby move this weekend.

Patrick
aircraft structural mech
student SP

Old August 15th 06, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Congratulations!

Old August 15th 06, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
ups.com...
and got surprised! My first solo!

Congratulations, and thanks! You will always remember that flight.

I always appreciate these "first solo" posts. They are read by perhaps
hundreds of pilots, each one of whom gets to relive his or her own first solo.

Vaughn

Old August 15th 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On 14 Aug 2006 21:24:16 -0700, "W P Dixon" wrote
in . com:

Hi Gang!,
Sorry I don't get to check in much on the group, I just find going
through google to be a PITA!

It seems Qwest doesn't offer a NNTP server as part of the ISP package.
Consider GigaNews as a premium Usenet provider at $7.99/month:
http://www.giganews.com/

Thursday...and got surprised! My first solo!

Congratulations.

You'll save money on flight training in the long run if you can fit a
minimum of two hours a week into your schedule/budget.

Hang on to that new girl; she sounds like the kind of supportive mate
that can provide a sound foundation for your future endeavors.

Old August 15th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_1_]

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:32:08 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote:

It seems Qwest doesn't offer a NNTP server as part of the ISP package.
Consider GigaNews as a premium Usenet provider at $7.99/month:
http://www.giganews.com/

we carry rec.aviation.piloting and r.a.student on our newsserver and as
long as there is not a need for a couple of hundred accounts we give free
access (username/password) to our newsserver for r.a.p folks (and we might
consider adding other newsgroups on our server if there is demand).
just contact me off-group at "martin _AT_ hotze DOT com"

see more on our newsserver here http://service.hotze.com/usenet/peering.htm

#m
--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough
Old August 15th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article . com,
"W P Dixon" wrote:

[...]

Congratulations Patrick!
I am glad to hear things are going well for you.
We picked up another Champ yesterday. This one has been modded with a
100 HP Continental and extra fuel tanks. It still meets Light Sport
though.
Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Old August 15th 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Finally went and put in 4 hours weekend before last and flew again on
Thursday...and got surprised! My first solo!

Way to go, Patrick!

You will never, ever forget that first solo flight. From here on, you
will divide your life's memories into "Before solo" and "After solo".
By guiding that little yellow plane around the pattern you have joined
an incredibly small fraternity of fliers who have dared to go where
thousands of generations before us longed to be.

Great job!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 15th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tony Cox

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Gang!,
Sorry I don't get to check in much on the group, I just find going
through google to be a PITA! Did want to let everyone know that though
the training has been going pretty slow(flew the Cub 3 hours in April).
Finally went and put in 4 hours weekend before last and flew again on
Thursday...and got surprised! My first solo!

Congrats!

My first landing was pretty dern ugly to say the least but figured
out the errors and made corrections and the last two were very nice.
Big difference in how the Cub felt with a CFI in the front versus the
lighter load. So I had the first landing ..a close groundloop! HAHA A
nice wheel landing for the second and a nice stall landing for the
third. All in 10-12 k crosswinds.

Isn't there a limitation on winds for first solo? I seem
to remember its 10knots with a crosswind component
5 knots. Or am I just remembering the limitations imposed
by the flying club I used to be a member of?

Anyway, 10-12k crosswind in a taildragger for one's first
solo is quite impressive. I'm sure your feet were dancing.
Well done!

Old August 16th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
W P Dixon

Tony Cox wrote:
"W P Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Guys!,
Tony the place I was flying at in Ohio had a 5 knot rule for first
solo..and it seemed it cheated me a few times from my first solo! I
really am not sure about an official rule on the matter. I did have
alot of 15-20 k time with an instructor and I guess my CFI knew I could
handle it. The confidence he showed in me definitely made me have the
confidence in myself if that makes any sense.
I do agree with Larry to fly as much and as close together as you can
to save money...dreadfully it has not been in the cards. I have over 30
hours now and have covered a good deal. I feel I am getting alot more
than the sport pilot cram courses. But I do hope to get it finished
soon! Goal is to have this completed and Airframes cert done by the end
of the year. Powerplants school will come next! Somewhere in the moves
I have lost some powerplant OJT so it's either start over or go to
school. School will be faster and I can get alittle degree ! Yeah my
thought really is BIG WOOOO! HAHA But the girlfriend really likes the
idea.
Somehow I don't think my Aviation Maint AS meets with her two
engineering degrees! HAHA But your right Larry she seems to really be
supportive of my love of aviation. She even likes to go over all my
aircraft blueprints !!! And is interested!!!!! Must be the engineer in
her, but I do think she just may be a keeper. She actually likes the
idea of me building an airplane and us flying places for the weekend
and such. What more can ya ask for?????
John Smith you will have to send me some pics of the new Champ! I
bet it's an awesome bird with the 100 hp on it. I'm keeping my fingers
crossed for the Cub drawing in North Dakota! HAHAHA If I win it I will
swing by and we'll grab some lunch on my return trip from ND! Still
looking for a Luscombe project as well...keep your eyes peeled for me.
The Volksplane is on hold for awhile but my girl and I have about
decided to build the Freebird tandam seat and register as E-LSA
...figure there is more resale value with it as you don't make any money
off the VP.

Patrick
aircraft structural mech
student SP

como ganar dinero facil y rapido [email protected] Piloting 0 September 17th 05 11:32 PM
Frst Solo, Non-stop Round the World Airplane Flight Larry Dighera Piloting 7 March 4th 05 03:51 PM
1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 12:27 AM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 08:52 PM