Trouble with Cambridge Utility

Old May 7th 13, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade

Default Trouble with Cambridge Utility

I attempted to export (file/save as) a group of 75 waypoints chosen in the See You desktop version for use in a Cambridge 302 (.dat file) The waypoints in See You were from the original seeyou.cup file that came with the software when I bought it. When I try to upload the .dat file to the 302 using the cambridge utility, the utility crashes. It works if I drop the total number of waypoints to 18 and it seems to be any 18 waypoints I choose.

If I use waypoints from the turnpoint exchange then it works just fine. This seems like an easy solution but I actually like having the waypoint data that the seeyou.cup file gives such as airport frequencies etc... that aren't given in the turnpoint exchange files.

If anyone has run across this and understands what is going on I would appreciate the help. I am assuming that there is trouble with the format of the content within the .dat file but I don't know what I should manually alter it to.

Thanks
Wade
Old May 7th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Wade,

I use SeeYou to generate waypoint files for the 302 often. After I save the
..dat file I use Notepad to add an "H" attribute to the home airport.

I can't explain the error you are seeing. Did you edit the file in Word?
Word could add some hidden characters.

Try using SeeYou or ConnectMe to upload the waypoint file to the 302.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 7th 13, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Wade,

Try creating your turnpoint file using my website at http://www.soaringdata..info. Select the Airports tab. You can make a .CUP file with any of several levels of selectable comment detail, together with a companion Cambridge .DAT file that contains the same points. The length of the comments in .DAT files is quite restricted, but I have concocted a short format that does include radio frequencies runway information. That format is explained on the site as well.

If you have any questions, email me using the "Questions or Comments" link on the site.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old May 9th 13, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade

Thanks Paul,

I didn't do any editing with word or a text editor of any kind. The file was the original seeyou.cup file that comes when I bought the pc version. I think it just has too much information in the file which is why it lets me do 18 waypoints and no more.

Thanks
Wade

Old May 9th 13, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Wade,

Using SeeYou to export waypoint files in the .dat Cambridge format works
great. But you need to limit the number of points in the file. It is easy
to do.

I don't recommend using the waypoint file that comes with SeeYou. Get the
latest file for the entire USA he
http://soaringweb.org/TP/FAA - Download the SeeYou .cup file.
Then open the file in SeeYou. Do not append the data to existing data.
Then take a look at the SeeYou training video I created on this subject. It
is available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...raining-SeeYou - Video #29

Let me know if you have any questions.

Paul Remde