USB Serial Converters - Reliable one for SN10 and Volkslogger

Old June 17th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default USB Serial Converters - Reliable one for SN10 and Volkslogger

FYI, recently I upgraded my notebook to Windows 7 64bit. I've found a good reliable USB serial convertor that works "out of the box" on Windows 7 even the 64 bit version.

USB to Serial Adapter - Mini PRO - $27.50

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=244

Another one almost identical but with a cable

USB to Serial Adapter - Professional - $34.95

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=325

This convertor has a very well written device driver that is maintained and kept up to date. My older Belkin convertor stopped working when I changed to Windows 7 64bit. Also, it wouldn't work on my Volkslogger, so I had to use a PCMIA serial card with WinXP (the PCMIA card doesn't work anymore in Windows 7 64bit).

These USB serial convertors from usconverters.com work just fine on everything I need (Volkslogger and SN10B software/waypoints loading). With the Volklogger, download used to be extremely slow. Now, I've found a driver setting on the Mini PRO which speeds up the download! It was a "Latency Timer" (msec) changed from 16 to 1.

So... if your're having problems with USB to RS232 convertors, give these a try.

Walt Rogers, WX
Old June 17th 12, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:09:32 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
[...]

Thanks Walt !
I'll try to update the SN10 resources pages,
maybe on the rest day...
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old June 17th 12, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Walt, do yourself a favor and get the SN10 USB adapter.

No more lugging a PC to the gliderport, making sure you have the right cable (Ilec, what were you thinking?), or playing with weird pseudo-DOS software on an iPaq to download your files.

And software upgrades become a snap.

Seriously - I land, get out of the cockpit, stick the USB thumbdrive into the adapter in my panel, then by the time I've pushed off the runway to my tiedown or trailer, the flight is downloaded.

Worth every penny...

Kirk
66
Happy SN10 user since 2001

Old June 18th 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wade

On Saturday, June 16, 2012 4:09:32 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
FYI, recently I upgraded my notebook to Windows 7 64bit. I've found a good reliable USB serial convertor that works "out of the box" on Windows 7 even the 64 bit version.

USB to Serial Adapter - Mini PRO - $27.50

http://www.usconverters.com/index.ph...ducts _id=244

Another one almost identical but with a cable

I just bought a good one as well on radio shack's website: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2292430

Works with windows 7 32 and 64 bit OS

Old June 19th 12, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

On Sunday, June 17, 2012 7:54:00 AM UTC-7, kirk.stant wrote:
Walt, do yourself a favor and get the SN10 USB adapter.

I rarely download igc files from the SN10B. The reason is that for OLC League, a certified igc file is required. Only the Volkslogger is igc certified.

I'm tempted to just replace the VL with a Nano... or just wait for the PowerFlarm people to certify their recorder.

Walt, WX

Old June 19th 12, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:28:57 AM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:

I rarely download igc files from the SN10B. The reason is that for OLC League, a certified igc file is required. Only the Volkslogger is igc certified.

I'm tempted to just replace the VL with a Nano... or just wait for the PowerFlarm people to certify their recorder.

Walt, WX

My SN10 files (blue V) show up in our club's OLC League flights. Not sure what that means in terms of OLC League score - I've never even looked at that part of OLC before - and a quick read of the OLC League scoring rules did not leave me with any burning desire to try to figure it out!

Nano is a nice little bit of kit.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Old June 19th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:31:08 AM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:

My SN10 files (blue V) show up in our club's OLC League flights. Not sure what that means in terms of OLC League score - I've never even looked at that part of OLC before - and a quick read of the OLC League scoring rules did not leave me with any burning desire to try to figure it out!

Nano is a nice little bit of kit.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound all snarky about OLC League. Not sure what kind of contest it is, and the explanation on the OLC site isn't much help!

It does seem odd that an SN10 file is OK for a lowly OLC classic score, but not good enough (?) for the OLC League...

But that has been argued to death on RAS before! ;^)

Cheers,

Kirk
66
Old June 20th 12, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Follow up on PF Brick install:

Photos of Discus 2A PowerFlarm antenna install on panel cover. ADS-B is forward antenna; FLARM is rear most one. The hook forward on panel cover is where I locate my SPOT tracker. GPS antennas are under cover between two PF top antennas (Volkslogger and PF GPS).

ADS-B and FLARM antennas are taped to a piece of "L" shaped plexiglass (2x2x3 inches) all velcroed to panel top. Got the plexiglas from Staples Office and "hacked" it from the original purpose of displaying 81/2x11inch announcements.

No compass to worry about. Interestingly enough, Discus 2A ops manual didn't require one nor did the FAA when I got my experimental certificate.

RAM mounted Butterfly is also visible.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/463771/MyGl...a_SideView.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/463771/MyGl...aButterfly.JPG

Walt Rogers, WX
Old June 20th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:54:00 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
Walt, do yourself a favor and get the SN10 USB adapter.

Yes!
The only problem is that you'll have to upload a modern enough version of the operating system on the SN-10 to use the USB adapter in the first place. So simply buying the new piece of equipment might not relieve you from using the SN-10 over Serial interface one-last-time.
Old June 20th 12, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:29:30 AM UTC-7, Piet Barber wrote:
On Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:54:00 AM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
Walt, do yourself a favor and get the SN10 USB adapter.

Yes!
The only problem is that you'll have to upload a modern enough version of the operating system on the SN-10 to use the USB adapter in the first place. So simply buying the new piece of equipment might not relieve you from using the SN-10 over Serial interface one-last-time.

No, read the USB adapter manual...