Mobile SeeYou & Winpilot

Old March 22nd 04, 03:31 PM
Ian Molesworth

Default Mobile SeeYou & Winpilot

I find it quite surprising that quite a few people posting to the MCU forum
are passing comments about dropping WinPilot in favour of MCU. From what I
gather these people already own a very capable moving map and final glide
calculation package in WinPilot and most will have laid out some
considerable amount of green for the program. Why is Mobile SeeYou proving
to be such a drawcard? The integration with SeeYou although convenient is
not that much of a benefit.

The CU team appear to have opened something of an ant's nest with their
software and they currently appear to have their hands full keeping up with
the stream of feature requests.

Ian Molesworth

---

Old March 22nd 04, 07:48 PM
Roy

"Ian Molesworth" wrote in
message ...
I find it quite surprising that quite a few people posting to the MCU

forum
are passing comments about dropping WinPilot in favour of MCU. From what I
gather these people already own a very capable moving map and final glide
calculation package in WinPilot and most will have laid out some
considerable amount of green for the program. Why is Mobile SeeYou proving
to be such a drawcard? The integration with SeeYou although convenient is
not that much of a benefit.

The CU team appear to have opened something of an ant's nest with their
software and they currently appear to have their hands full keeping up

with
the stream of feature requests.

Ian Molesworth

The guys only wrote MCU as Jerry wouldn't allow them to interface SeeYou
with Winpilot.
seems to have backfired in a most entertaining fashion.
I'm in the group looking to dump WP in favor of MCU.
The integration is quite a big deal. (for me anyway)
I also like all the development that has gone on with SeeYou. (without
costing me money every 6 months)

my £0.02
Roy

Old March 22nd 04, 08:12 PM
Richard Pfiffner

Roy

WinPilot has the same update period as SeeYou, and is also the same price.
It also has many more features than SeeYou and has over seven years of
product improvement. And by the way SeeYou is interfaced with WinPilot.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

"Roy" wrote in message

"Ian Molesworth" wrote in
message ...

Old March 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
Kirk Stant

Ian Molesworth wrote in message ...
I find it quite surprising that quite a few people posting to the MCU forum
are passing comments about dropping WinPilot in favour of MCU. From what I
gather these people already own a very capable moving map and final glide
calculation package in WinPilot and most will have laid out some
considerable amount of green for the program. Why is Mobile SeeYou proving
to be such a drawcard? The integration with SeeYou although convenient is
not that much of a benefit.

Well, I tried both the Winpilot and GN2 demos for a while (before
committing to my SN-10) and wasn't particularly impressed with either
one (on an Ipaq 3790) - GN2 was a bit too basic; and I absolutely
hated the Winpilot interface, found the WP maps hard to read, and
couldn't get rid of displays I didn't want (the goofy final glide
chevron thing - which unfortunatly mCU has copied!). And since I
still have reservations about current color displays in the hot and
bright AZ sunshine, I passed. I have been experimenting with mCU, and
like it a lot so far- maps are nice - much better than WP, and the
display can be dicluttered to give only the info I want on my map.
But I still don't like the current ipaq displays, and mCU still needs
some cooking/development/debugging time, so I'm waiting and playing
with the demos. But it is showing definite signs of being a real
winner!

Kirk
Old March 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
Roy

"Richard Pfiffner" wrote in message
Roy

WinPilot has the same update period as SeeYou, and is also the same price.
It also has many more features than SeeYou and has over seven years of
product improvement. And by the way SeeYou is interfaced with WinPilot.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Winpilot used to work on pay every six months to stay current.
SeeYou is annualy.
SeeYou in it's present form shows you where the lift is/was for less money.
SeeYou (planning software) has been on the go for a long time too.
the WP/SeeYou interface is clunky due to bloody mindedness on the part of
one of the writers (and I know which one, so do you)

So far, the only real advantage (bar the bugs) to WP is the ability to call
up another piece of software whilst WP is running. Which I do appreciate.
(It lets me play music on the PDA while still showing WP in all it's glory.)
And let's not beat about the bush here, WP, it's bloody good.
WP has given me more pleasure than anything else I have spent that amount of
money on and Jerry has done a fantastic job with it.
However, he was less than helpful to the SeeYou boys, and they have produced
a cracking first attempt at similar software, which having seen what they
have done with SeeYou, will only get better.

Besides,
I'm an ex hangglider pilot and am well used to sailplane pilots defending
appallingly bad hardware / software as they have never seen anything else.
I hasten to add that WP is wonderful software which I enjoy using, however,
the new kid on the block has made an outstanding first show (despite the nag
screen coming up every 2 minutes on the evaluation version)

Power to both teams ( I should say all three, lets not forget GNII) for
their efforts.
With more competion, things will only get better for us, However, Richard,
you should see about a US distribution deal for MSU now . . . . . . .

:-)

(do you hear chains being tugged?)

regards
Roy

Old March 23rd 04, 01:55 AM
Ray Lovinggood

Kirk,

What gps are you using to drive the SN-10?

Ray

Old March 24th 04, 05:08 PM
Mike

Ian Molesworth wrote in message ...
I find it quite surprising that quite a few people posting to the MCU forum...

Ian or anyone, where is this forum located? ___mike
Old March 24th 04, 08:20 PM
Eric Greenwell

Mike wrote:
Ian Molesworth wrote in message ...

I find it quite surprising that quite a few people posting to the MCU forum...

Ian or anyone, where is this forum located? ___mike

It's on the Forums section of the CU site

http://www.seeyou.ws/
SeeYou - Flight planning and analysis software

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old March 25th 04, 02:07 AM
Doug Haluza

"Roy" wrote in message ...
"Ian Molesworth" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Yes, the integration of the underlying geographic data is key. The
WinPilot map per state thing is Bogus. I didn't like the maps in
pocketStrePla. I looked at a lot of other aviation moving map
programs, but passed because of the recurring cost of map updates.
Being able to use the same base maps, airspace, and waypoints for both
preflight planning and in flight display is a big plus.

I also liked the sraight up registration--not tied to a device like WP
and others. I want to be able to experiment with different GPS sources
and PDA displays.

It's interesting how the price of the competing software suddenly fell
from on high after mCU hit the market at the SSA convention. Kind of
like hitting a microburst downdraft!

SeeYou Mobile Robert Fidler Soaring 0 March 17th 04 05:18 PM
SeeYou Mobile question Greg Arnold Soaring 1 February 19th 04 05:24 PM
WinPilot offer... and UK news Paul Crabb Soaring 2 February 19th 04 10:22 AM
SeeYou mobile questions Andy Durbin Soaring 5 February 19th 04 01:16 AM
WinPilot Offers Free WinPilot XP for your Desktop Computer Richard Pfiffner Soaring 0 November 8th 03 05:44 PM