2021 Soaring Safari

Old March 21st 21, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 2021 Soaring Safari

Pilots have come for far away to participate in the 2021 Soaring Safari sponsored by the TCSC in Vero Beach, Florida. The event is still gong on and just today more glider pilots have arrived.
After each daily conclusion of glider activity the cookout begins with the BBQ grill serving up dishes like gourmet Japanese specialties to special Mexican dinners and today's steamed shrimp and fresh Quac and smoked fish dip. There are plenty of beverages served to compliment each persons desire.
So if you glider pilots are tired of the same old straight out flights come on down to Vero Beach and be part of the activities.
Old March 21st 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Is there any reason why you guys don't post on the OLC?
I haven't seen anything from down there....
Nick
Old March 22nd 21, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 11:51:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Is there any reason why you guys don't post on the OLC?
I haven't seen anything from down there....
Nick

Nick, there are a couple that post on OLC, last year we posted on OLC and the Seniors contest was being conducted at the same time and we made them look pretty bad with our Bloody Triangles. This year we told our people to refrain from posting until the Seniors were completed. As you may well know we fly triangles down here in South Florida and the motor glider guys up in Clermont just fly up and down and back and forth. As Purist we try not to stink up the sky with those carbon credit emissions. I wish that I could jump out of the tow plane and get into the 27 and possibly go around Lake O once again, just might try that again this week.
Each day we have had good flights, even today we were once again skirting the sky having a good time flying gliders, except I once again had my butt in the Pawnee. Our Safari started on the 12th of the month and I have done almost 80 tows since the beginning of the event.
Our consumption of grilled dogs and burgers along with steamed shrimp has been pretty impressive, as they say, " Keep Those Doggies Rolling". Also the cold beer at the end of the day always caps off a great event. So all I can say Nick, is come on down and enjoy the fun, we even have some wonderful female pilots here from the WSPA, they love me! Bob
Old March 22nd 21, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hey Bob,

Aren't you limited to 24 hours after the flight for posting on OLC? Let
those old fogies be embarrassed! And get a winch!

Dan
5J

Old March 22nd 21, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 3/21/21 6:21 PM, wrote:
[...]

Dan, we are doing quiet well with the Safari, some very good flights have been made and we are just in the beginning. Carol Ann has been flying well and many others are coming for the event. Just today another possible participant called and asked to be a part of the Safari. Even bigger plans are in place for next year, We are thinking about having two events per year, possibly one around turkey day and another will be the spring safari. The weather down in South Florida is much better than the Central and North Florida areas. We are staying very busy and are having a blast, evenings are especially nice with cold beverages and great conversations. Bob
Old March 23rd 21, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 8:21:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
As Purist we try not to stink up the sky with those carbon credit emissions..

I guarantee you that your Pawnee burns way more fossil fuel than my motorglider.
Not to mention all the grilling you are doing. ๐Ÿ˜

If you want to brag about being a Purist, why donโ€™t you run off a cliff in a hang glider, get retrieved by an electric car, and enjoy a nice raw vegan meal with that beer you home brewed?

4D
Old March 23rd 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, March 22, 2021 at 8:08:38 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, March 21, 2021 at 8:21:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
As Purist we try not to stink up the sky with those carbon credit emissions.
I guarantee you that your Pawnee burns way more fossil fuel than my motorglider.
Not to mention all the grilling you are doing. ๐Ÿ˜

If you want to brag about being a Purist, why donโ€™t you run off a cliff in a hang glider, get retrieved by an electric car, and enjoy a nice raw vegan meal with that beer you home brewed?

4D

4D, yes, my Pawnee burns much more fuel than that motorglider you fly, it is much more beautiful than those lumbering motorgliders. Cannot see wasting time with a hang glider, and would never own an electric car, my Chevy truck does just fine. I really could not see myself eating some of that vegan junk, rather have a nice char broiled steak and please keep all those IPA beers to the electric car and motorglider drivers, I'll take the Stella, or a nice Matusalem and Coke with a nice twist of lime. Yesterday I towed a motorglider, that dang old engine would not run properly, just think, that old beautiful Pawnee came to the rescue of a motorglider.
Old March 23rd 21, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Well, Bob

Given the range of the Stemme, I could hop on down there along a great
circle route with a single fuel stop at Alexandria, LA. Of course
there's quite a squall line just east of Alexandria right now and a
pretty big stretch of over water flying from around Gulfport to Tampa.

I prefer to fly the Stemme simply as a self launch glider, But look at
those Frenchies who crossed the Iberian peninsula TWICE and many miles
out into the Mediterranean a few days ago. Oh, yeah... In a Stemme!

Dan
5J

Old March 23rd 21, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 23 Mar 2021 10:16:59 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

I prefer to fly the Stemme simply as a self launch glider, But look at
those Frenchies who crossed the Iberian peninsula TWICE and many miles
out into the Mediterranean a few days ago. Oh, yeah... In a Stemme!

What about Klaus Ohlmann's little jaunt in 2014 when, as part of a DLR
meterological expedition he flew a Stemme to Pokara, Nepal from Germany,
and then flew it back home when the research was done. Thats and epic
trip however yo look at it. But then he capped that when he had the Stemme
for a day, during which he ran east on the Himalayas to Everest, soared
over its peak, and then flew back to Pokara, a 600km out and return.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old March 23rd 21, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's quite a capable aircraft, it just can't keep up speed-wise with the
less comfortable models. It /_can_/ carry clothing for two for 10 days
and a pair of tooth brushes, however. ๐Ÿ˜‚

*Dan 5J *