Which computer/vario?

Old June 16th 04, 03:22 AM
Chris Nicholas

Default Which computer/vario?

If starting a completely new panel, but already having a Volkslogger and
an iPAQ 3850, which computer and vario systems would people recommend?
Which software for moving map etc.?

Is there a difference between optimum for competitions and optimum for
non-comp flying? Does the country of use (UK) make a difference to
preferences?

Any views on other instruments etc., e.g. PC EFIS, DG's DSI system, or
any other new(ish) developments?

Which radio - Dittel, Becker or what? (Use would be for occasional
contact with ATC as well as normal gliding use, but usually only a small
numbers of frequencies on any one flight.)

Chris N.

Old June 16th 04, 01:27 PM
Ray Lovinggood

Chris,

I built a new panel last year for my LS-1d and have
a Volkslogger and a Compaq 1520 running the old shareware
from Cambridge, the PalmNAV. My radio is a Microair.

For a radio recommendation: Buy what you can afford.
I could afford the Microair, so that is what I bought.
I thought the radio worked well, until it broke...
Our club has two gliders equipped with Microairs and
both radios have been returned to Australia for repair.
One radio came back, worked for about 3 weeks, and
now has returned to it's 'intermittant transmit' state.
My radio also travelled to Australia for repair.
So, we have a total of four gliders with Microairs
in our club (two club ships, two private ships) and
three radios have been returned for service. I don't
think any radio was more than two years old when it
broke.

If I could afford one, I would buy a Dittel or a Becker.

Since you have a Volkslogger, you don't need a Cambridge
302 or Filser LX5000. Of course, you could sell the
Volkslogger and get one of these instruments.

Options of glide computers: Take a look at Paul Remde's
web page, http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/ and look
at his comparisons.

You could use the shareware from Cambridge: It is
still available. Other shareware is from Henryk Birecki
and is called GPS-LOGsomething. Then, you could also
think about buying WinPilot, Glide Navigator II, See
You Mobile, Stre-Pla Mobile, and Fly With CE, to name
a few.

For vario function, you could think about the Borgelt
B-50. It will interface with the Volkslogger.

Or, you could NOT install the Ipaq and get an Ilec
SN-10b. Use your Volkslogger to provide gps to the
Ilec and let it provide your glide calculator, moving
map, and vario functions. I suppose you could keep
the Ipaq and have it as a second glide computer.

You have a lot of possibilities!

I don't know the answer to the difference (as far as
instruments are concerned) between Comp and non-comp
XC flying, and I'll be interested in reading the responses.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA
LS-1d

Old June 16th 04, 03:47 PM
tuno

Chris,

I don't know what your budget is but if you already have the iPaq and
are running WinPilot, SeeYou Mobile or something similar, you could
just add the LX1600, which (I think) is designed primarily for use
with a PocketPC.

I've spent some time recently examining the flight computer side of
things, with some recent troubles with my LX5000 (which may soon be
resolved however, I'll know more this weekend). Most of the pilots
where I fly use SN10s, but that is not an IGC approved logger. You
already have a logger, so the SN10 may be the way to go (it's supposed
to have a superior vario).

A nice thing about having the LX5000 and my iPaq running together is
that having the map and navigation info on the iPaq saves me from
changing screens in the LX5000 as often.

One thing I do *not* like about the LX5000 is having to hook up a
laptop to it in the cockpit to upload and download tasks, TP and
airport data. You could use FlyWithCE Downloader to download flights
on the iPaq, but getting data *to* the computer requires the use of
LXe (LX's PC software), which needs improvement in the "ease of use"
department (especially for creating tasks -- LX does not provide USA
maps for LXe, but it does for Europe).

(I should note that SeeYou has a Connection Wizard which allows
uploading of tasks and turnpoints to various instruments, including
the LX/Filser lineup, but I have yet to try it with my LX5000.)

Of course, I've been talking about the LX5000, which is no longer
available new; you'd have to go with the LX7000 if you were to buy
new. I found more info he
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page18.htm; there is a link to a good
PowerPoint presentation on the LX7000.

I hope you get some more responses on this question, as I still have a
lot to learn about the other flight computer options, beyond the SN10
and LXxxxx.

Oh and I have this question for the "how do I fill my instrument
panel" experts out the I had a simple chronometer filling one of
the 57mm holes in my panel, which I removed last weekend because I
used never it. This leaves my LX5000 (80mm), the LX5000's vario unit
(57mm), ASI (80mm), and Borgelt B-40 vario (80mm). Any suggestions on
what to do with the spare 57mm? Does anyone make a digital compass?
That's something I could use.

-tuno
Old June 16th 04, 04:42 PM
Tim Mara

I don't know what your budget is but if you already have the iPaq and
are running WinPilot, SeeYou Mobile or something similar, you could
just add the LX1600, which (I think) is designed primarily for use
with a PocketPC.

LX1600 is a great system.....however you noted it will interface with
WinPilot, it does not, but does interface with FlywithCE Navigator and
SeeYou Mobile, both programs are excellent and also far less costly that
Winpilot. With either of these software you can select from either the iPaq
or the LX1600 and data is automatically transferred to the other (i.e.
change a turnpoint on iPaq and data changes on LX1600 and vise
versa....nifty
tim

Old June 16th 04, 05:05 PM
Orion Kingman

"Chris Nicholas" wrote in message
If starting a completely new panel, but already having a Volkslogger and
an iPAQ 3850, which computer and vario systems would people recommend?

Ilec SN10b... the logger function is not IGC approved, but your volkslogger
is.

Which software for moving map etc.?

not really a necesity with the Ilec but the only one I've used is Glide
navigator II and I like it, neat clean display with the right amount of
information.

Is there a difference between optimum for competitions and optimum for
non-comp flying? Does the country of use (UK) make a difference to
preferences?

I should think not but I'm curious to see what others have to say

Old June 16th 04, 07:41 PM
tango4

Tim,Chris

I have SeeYou Mobile (mCU) and an LX1600 in my Nimbus 3. Both purchased
from their respective vendors. I also run SeeYou on my flight laptop.

SeeYou mobile is not a mature product at present and the interface to the
LX1600 is *not* fully operational at the moment. 3 months ago the last
version of SeeYou Mobile was released and since then there has been no
movement and the contributions to the mCU forum by the SeeYou programming
team have been less and less frequent. The forum has a list of suggestions
and requests of the programmers that is 50 or more items.
http://mobile.seeyou.ws/forum/

mCU does not automatically start a task, in fact the whole task/tp side of
things is being reviewed if the last comments on the forum are to be
believed.
Navigating with mCU can be a challenge. Sometimes small buttons are required
to be pressed and airspaces are not highlighted or contrasted so you really
can't identify which bit is which.
Some of the final glide calculations produce 'wierd' results

By all means consider this combination but I would stick with the FlyWithCe
PDA software at the moment ( its interface to the LX1600 is sorted out ).
You can use the mCU demo without registration until the mCU team gets their
act together.

The LX1600 manual leaves a lot to be desired, refering a lot to the manual
for your respective PDA software which in the true IT tradition refers you
right back to the LX1600 software.

I am having trouble getting electronic compensation to work on the LX1600
but I believe that this is related to the PDA software and not the hardware
although disconnecting the PDA does not sort out the problem and I am left
without help on how to proceed from both sides of the fence. The nub of the
problem is right there, the hardware guys say its the software and the
software guys say its the hardware!

I still have hopes for the success of the combination but if things don't
get sorted out in the next couple of weeks I will have to change something!

Ian

Old June 16th 04, 08:21 PM
RHP

Chris

I am the Volkslogger , Borgelt Dealer in the US. A Borgelt B50,
WinPilot PRO and a connection kit wtih power converter would give you
a state of the art flight computer system.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old June 16th 04, 09:14 PM
Ian kennedy

B50/Winpilot Pro.
Been using this set up for the last 3 years in a Kestrel.Simple to use
Dittel radio, but channel switch went a bit "iffy" after a month or two.
Will get round to getting it fixed sometime.

Old June 17th 04, 10:26 AM
Chris Nicholas

Thanks to all who replied. I am now busy studying details of the
various recommendations. Any more info/views would be welcome, too.

Chris N.

Old June 17th 04, 11:25 AM
Martin Gregorie

On 17 Jun 2004 09:26:39 GMT, Chris Nicholas
wrote:

Thanks to all who replied. I am now busy studying details of the
various recommendations. Any more info/views would be welcome, too.

Here's another pair of ideas:

I'm currently using a GPS II+ feeding an SDI C4 and an EW model D
logger. I have some unanswered questions about the C4. This works
well, but I'd prefer some sort of moving map display with airspace
shown and there are issues with getting GPS data into the C4 (see
below).

I'm considering replacing this set-up with a GPS-35 blind GPS feeding
an iPAQ 3630 running XCSoar and the EW model D. With this setup the C4
is overkill and could be replaced with a less complex vario (B.50,
LX1600, etc) because XCsoar does all the final glide stuff.

I like the look of XCsoar because it has an uncluttered, high contrast
display format and needs little if any poking while you're flying the
task. As a bonus, it can also feed MacCready, wind and distance data
to a vario that will accept the standard NMEA sentences containing
this data.

I picked on a GPS-35 because I can mount it on the cowl where its out
of sight in front of the compass: I need the panel real estate
currently occupied by the GPS II+ to install the iPAQ. It also helped
that I got the GPS-35 cheap off eBay.

FWIW the outstanding C4 questions a

- my C4 seems to be seeing the GPS: it seems to be using the GPS
circling detection to switch from netto to TE mode. However, it won't
calculate wind or distance. I use GOTO TP on the GPS rather than
putting a task into it. Is this confusing the C4 or is the wiring loom
wrong?

- if I switch to an iPAQ based system, can the C4 accept wind and
MacCready parameters from the iPAQ?

I'm having problems contacting the local agents, so I'd appreciate it
if anybody can help with these points.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK