Ray Galloway (P1)

Old July 17th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Ray Galloway (P1)

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Here's a link to Ray's obituary in the Goldsboro News:
http://www.newsargus.com/obituaries/...ayes_galloway/
Rest in peace, my old friend
Herb
Old July 17th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

I'm gonna remember his long drawn out Mooooooooooonin the most. I enjoy remembering his grin that said he knew something funny that I didn't know yet.
A true gentleman we were lucky to know.
UH
Old July 17th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

And his landout in a pasture with a hostile owner, where Miss Lillian, who had taken his trailer over for the retrieve, remarked when called to speak with the Deputy, 'If I'd a known I was going to meet someone, I'd a put my face on'

I'm sure there will be a few toasts to P! at the Seminole Sunday post-flight debriefings...

Sometimes we had the distinct pleasure of Miss Lillian showing up after flying and we'd all go to a local restaurant for dinner. Before we could leave for the restaurant, Miss Lillian would tell Ray she needed a few minutes to freshen up saying she was going to go "poof her pits"
Old July 17th 18, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:33:41 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Here's a link to Ray's obituary in the Goldsboro News:
http://www.newsargus.com/obituaries/...ayes_galloway/
Rest in peace, my old friend
Herb

Thanks for posting the obit, Herb.
Old July 17th 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 6:39:11 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Pulled up to a stoplight on HWY 49 in Siler City, NC (100 miles from home) one afternoon 30 years ago. Looked over at the car next to me, I was suprised and delighted to see that the driver was Ray Galloway. Ray was in a jacket and tie with a carload of his similarly attired business associates. I was wearing a completely filthy farm coverall and was driving a dumptruck loaded with salvaged chicken house equipment. Ray glanced over for just a microsecond, then looked away quickly. He managed to ignore me for a while, but his associates could not help but notice the filthy lunatic in the dumptruck next to them waving his arms, hollering, and blowing the horn. Ray finally had to look over. He was clearly embarrassed, but he gave a quick little wave, and as the light had just turned green, sped away as fast at that Buick would go. Years later, Ray said he just told his associates that he had no idea who that guy in the truck was.
Old July 18th 18, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

I will never forget Ray's weather briefings: "if you liked yesterday... you'll love today... " and "all I can say is: just c'mon back"...

We miss you already P1...

Enrique
KO
Old July 20th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had the pleasure of meeting Ray back in the late 70's when I purchased his Std Cirrus. He always wanted to keep tabs on the young guy who bought his Cirrus. For years we communicated at events and over the phone, he was always interested in how the soaring was in my part of the country. I ended up buying a ASW24 that he once owned and over the last two years we had renewed our frequent conversations and he would always ask how my wife was doing in that 24.
Ray was a true gentleman and loved soaring, he will be sorely missed, RIP my friend.
Old July 20th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GH[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Thanks for sharing the info Ed. I hadn't heard. Glenn Holden
Old July 22nd 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:39:11 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Sorry to report my dear friend Ray Galloway (papa one) checked out (peacefully) last night. I talked with him a couple of days ago. He said he was "ready", but it is still hard on his friends and family. Ed Byars

Yesterday, Ray's service was held with folks in attendance from all his life endeavors. It was sad to bid him farewell but good to be reminded of the many ways in which he influenced (and will continue to through his memory) the world in a positive way.

Godspeed P1