GPSMAP 396 won't acquire sats

Old November 2nd 08, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Default GPSMAP 396 won't acquire sats

Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and
start up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after
30-40 minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

Thanks,
Mike
Old November 2nd 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
m...
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and start
up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after 30-40
minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

I would suggest you take the antenna off and inspect the BNC connector
closely. If there are no obvious signs of damage, you probably have an
internal GPS problem and it will require sending it back to Garmin for
repairs.

Old November 2nd 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike Spera" wrote in message
m...
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and start
up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after 30-40
minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

How about the bios battery? I suppose it does have a small dry cell to keep
the settings while you change battery, or kill the rechargeable battery?

A low voltage on something like that can drive you mad.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 3rd 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Let me second the idea of substitution of your antenna for a different
one...
Next, you could download the BIOS updates (if you have not)...
Old November 4th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Nov 2, 7:57*am, Mike Spera wrote:
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and
start up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after
30-40 minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

Wow, mine just started doing the same thing. Mine is mounted on my
yoke so the first thing I did when I got on the ground was to take it
off and put on the little dinky antenna that Garmins ships with the
unit. I still had the problem. Maybe I'll need to learn how to reset
the unit?

-Robert
Old November 4th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
MikeMl

Mike Spera wrote:
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and
start up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after
30-40 minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

Thanks,
Mike

Try it out of the aircraft, running on internal batteries, and the
monopole antenna. In my installation, I can create your symptoms just by
tuning my Narco Mark 12D Nav receiver to 115.5Mhz. The 13th harmonic of
the Nav receiver local oscillator blocks sat reception.
Old November 9th 08, 02:14 PM
G Myracle G Myracle is offline
Junior Member

My 396 was doing the same thing. It appeared to be hanging up on sat 51.
My friend's 296 was also locking up also and someone at Garmin told him to first push the Out button in and hold while while powering up the gps. This worked for both of us however you may have a different problem however I feel it is worth a try.

Hope this helps you

George
Old November 10th 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve - KDMW

On Nov 2, 10:57*am, Mike Spera wrote:
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and
start up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after
30-40 minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

Thanks,
Mike

It's the internal (non-user replaceable) battery. I've had several
friends who have had the same problem. They were both surprised at
Garmin's cluelessness over the problem and had a hard time convincing
them to change the battery. But that's exactly what it is. The unit is
losing it's internal memory because of the battery and having to re-
initialize itself which takes the 30-40 minutes you are describing.

Steve
KDMW
Old November 10th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_2_]

"Steve - KDMW" wrote

It's the internal (non-user replaceable) battery. I've had several
friends who have had the same problem. They were both surprised at
Garmin's cluelessness over the problem and had a hard time convincing
them to change the battery. But that's exactly what it is. The unit is
losing it's internal memory because of the battery and having to re-
initialize itself which takes the 30-40 minutes you are describing.

Doh! I thought so!

NOTHING is non user replaceable, if the user is determined enough, and has
mad enough "engineering" skills!

I'll bet that it would not even be that hard. I would do it in a heartbeat,
if it were mine.
--
Jim in NC

SATS Success! Larry Dighera Piloting 8 May 7th 08 05:12 AM
Danville/SATS - Pireps? Jimbob Piloting 6 June 13th 05 02:54 PM
China to acquire Backfires? Thomas J. Paladino Jr. Military Aviation 50 September 25th 04 11:32 PM
Sikorsky To Acquire Schweizer Aircraft Bob Kuykendall Soaring 57 September 10th 04 07:45 PM
Garmin 196: Anyone else dissapointed in the actual ability to capture sats Mike Z. Piloting 19 March 9th 04 03:00 PM