Oxygen Generators

Old September 23rd 13, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

Default Oxygen Generators

Has anyone investigated the use of an oxygen generator rather than carrying an O2 cylinder?

According to this study from sea level up to 18,000 it seems to work. http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...er= ADA371747

"We conclude that from sea level to 18,000', molecular sieve based O2 concentrators are capable of providing medical grade supplemental O2 for at least 8 hours."

Pricey but for those the fly with O2 every day then over the long term it would be cheaper as there would be no refills. Here is a unit for $3K. http://www.emedstores.com/xpo2-porta...extra-battery/

Might they be less dangerous in an accident? Is battery power an issue?

- John
Old September 23rd 13, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn

On 9/23/2013 12:23 PM, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Pricey but for those the fly with O2 every day then over the long term it would be cheaper
as there would be no refills.
Here is a unit for $3K.

http://www.emedstores.com/xpo2-porta...extra-battery/

The devil is in the details! But the specks on that unit say 10,000 feet.

These things are mostly made for airline travel. I don't think we've
ever seen more than about 6,000 feet cabin altitude inside an airliner,
(Yes, I travel with an altimeter) so there is little incentive for the
manufacturer to make them work much higher, or even test them at high
altitudes.

My wife needs to travel with oxygen. We have rented several different
Portable Oxygen Concentrators (POCs) with uniformly good results, and
finally bought our own. Assuming pulse oxygen delivery, we get
excellent battery life on trips.

Try before you buy! You can easily rent these units. Fly one with with
a pulse oximeter ($39.99 at Walmart) to verify that it works for you and
to determine your settings. The settings have a big impact on battery life.

Vaughn
Old September 23rd 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Monday, September 23, 2013 9:23:44 AM UTC-7, JohnDeRosa wrote:
Has anyone investigated the use of an oxygen generator rather than
carrying an O2 cylinder?

The late Les Sebald carried a chemical oxygen generator of the type used on airliners as a backup oxygen source in his HP-14. He worked for United Airlines, and I imagine that he had access to expired units that were out of date but probably still good. I remember seeing that Les's O2 generator was carefully mounted so that the airframe was protected from the rather high heat generated as a byproduct of the chemical reaction that produced the oxygen.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old September 23rd 13, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

JohnDeRosa wrote, On 9/23/2013 9:23 AM:
Has anyone investigated the use of an oxygen generator rather than
carrying an O2 cylinder?

According to this study from sea level up to 18,000 it seems to work.
http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...er= ADA371747

"We conclude that from sea level to 18,000', molecular sieve based
O2 concentrators are capable of providing medical grade supplemental
O2 for at least 8 hours."

Pricey but for those the fly with O2 every day then over the long
term it would be cheaper as there would be no refills. Here is a
unit for $3K.
http://www.emedstores.com/xpo2-porta...extra-battery/

Might they be less dangerous in an accident? Is battery power an
issue?

Not a cost saver for glider pilots that fill their own bottles. I can
fill my 14 cf bottle for $5 from my welding bottle, then get 12 hours
off of it. It would take a lot of refills to pay for the $3000 unit.

I haven't heard of ox cylinders being a danger in glider accidents, so I
don't think the ox generator would help any.

I suspect it might not work well in flights where the cockpit
temperature goes below freezing, but did not look into it.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old September 23rd 13, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JohnDeRosa

On Monday, September 23, 2013 12:56:34 PM UTC-5, Vaughn wrote:
Fly one with with a pulse oximeter ($39.99 at Walmart) to verify that it works for you...

Vaughn

Actually only $35 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Choicemmed...r-1ct/17325061
Old September 24th 13, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Working as a tow pilot for a commercial operation, I get my oxygen for free.

As to a danger in a crash, when my partner crashed our LS-6a, the O2 bottle
mounted behind his left arm broke loose and made quite a gash in the back of
his arm just above the elbow.

Old September 24th 13, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Anybody look at those small liquid oxygen medical packs you see ambulatory patients wearing?
Old September 24th 13, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What have you guys got against a proper oxygen system?

All these quotations of the FARs, and electronic collision avoidance,
navigation, etc., and you want to skimp on BREATHING???

Old September 24th 13, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 10:41:31 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
What have you guys got against a proper oxygen system?

1. Size
2. Weight

Especially in 2-seaters, a decent sized compressed O2 system eats into the allowable cockpit payload and often takes up space the pilot would rather use for something else.
Old September 25th 13, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Agreed, but is there anything *legal* that suits your needs and yet is
certified above 10,000'? You don't really need O2 below that.

How about something proper, that's really small (fits behind the seat, etc.,
is easily removeable, and can be filled after each flight?

Vortex generators? Waveguru Soaring 3 December 17th 12 05:21 PM
Generators that use Wind power. a[_2_] Home Built 6 July 17th 08 02:36 AM
vortex generators. Stew Hicks Home Built 2 July 17th 06 12:56 AM
Vortex Generators Source Pietpilot Home Built 0 August 14th 04 10:35 PM
Generators, redundancy, and old stories Michael Owning 2 March 3rd 04 07:25 PM