glider battery duration problems

Old October 2nd 13, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Marshall

Default glider battery duration problems

I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium
ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many
risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like
something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

Old October 2nd 13, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:46:32 PM UTC-5, John Marshall wrote:
I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium

ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many

risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like

something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

Used NiMh in my LS8 for about 5 years and can add some advice on those. Found the life span not much different from Pb gel-cells at about 2-3 years in spite of using specific chargers. Advantage is weight, around half of the lead cells. Disadvantage in self-discharge rates, these are high and you have to top off the battery if you want full capacity. Voltage drop is steep, just like for a Pb-cell. Flying with LiFe-PO4 now and have had no problems.
Herb
Old October 2nd 13, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Pentecost

My ASG29E uses two lead acid gel cell batteries each with 9AH capacity,
these sit on the parcel shelf beneath the fuel tank. These are supplemented
by the solar panels that deliver about 1A in bright sunshine.
My panel includes LX8000 with flarm, V3 vario, Filser ATR500 radio, LX nano
logger and Glider Guider PNA (similar to an Oudie), also occasional use of
a Dynon Artificial Horizon.
I guess if you don't have the solar panels or if you use a transponder then
capacity will start to become an issue unless you go to Li-ion.

Regards,
Roy

Old October 2nd 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

This season, I changed to two LiFePO4. They served me well. The biggest enemy to endurance continues to be radio transmissions (hand signals only go so far). While flying, I monitored their voltage and was very pleased; my longest flight was just under six hours.

My electrical devices are these: radio, transponder, 302, 303, FLARM, and Oudie.

Raul Boerner
LS6-b
DM
Old October 2nd 13, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:52:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
This season, I changed to two LiFePO4. They served me well.

My electrical devices are these: radio, transponder, 302, 303, FLARM, and Oudie.

Raul Boerner

LS6-b

DM

Raul,
What capacity LiFePO4 are you using?
Old October 2nd 13, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:46:32 AM UTC-7, John Marshall wrote:
I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium

ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many

risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like

something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

I flew a 12 a/h LiFe PO4 this year and can't say enough about it performance. I haven't seen the voltage drop much below 12.9 V, even on a 4 hour flight with everything on, Radio, transponder, Power flarm, Model-20 & Garmin GPS's, SN-10, B-500. AND it weighs half its lead acid 12 a/h brother which would give up in less than 3 hours.
JJ
Old October 2nd 13, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergreg

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 12:46:32 PM UTC-5, John Marshall wrote:
I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium

ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many

risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like

something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

Same advise as JJ and Herb, Buy this and you won't be sorry. Here is a link to where I got mine.

http://www.bioennopower.com/pages/12...ifepo4-battery
Old October 2nd 13, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Each of my LiFePO4 batteries is 9AH.

Old October 2nd 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Each of my LiFePO4 batteries is 9AH.
Old October 3rd 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 2:03:06 PM UTC-7, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Wednesday, October 2, 2013 10:46:32 AM UTC-7, John Marshall wrote:

I need advice about the best choice of batteries for an asg 29e. lithium

ion would be outside manufacturer's remit and the insurer's plus too many

risks-the fuel tank is directly above the battery housings. I would like

something with at least 9 amp hours, whether gel cell or mh.

I flew a 12 a/h LiFe PO4 this year and can't say enough about it performance. I haven't seen the voltage drop much below 12.9 V, even on a 4 hour flight with everything on, Radio, transponder, Power flarm, Model-20 & Garmin GPS's, SN-10, B-500. AND it weighs half its lead acid 12 a/h brother which would give up in less than 3 hours.

JJ

I been thinking about changing to the LiFe Po4 well but must admit I am somewhat apprehensive.
It sounds like the 12ah version should be better (space allowing) than the 9ah for obvious reasons and I am not sure about the charging procedures either.
The chargers these batteries come with are they sufficient enough?
Can one leave them on overnight, etc, do they overcharge or like the gel cell smart chargers; switch to trickle charge?
If I sound ignorant about this, it is because I am .
Any advise would be appreciated.
6PK