Flashlight Backup to the Backup

Old November 15th 04, 04:39 PM
Icebound

Default Flashlight Backup to the Backup

Maybe you night flyers may be interested in something like this to throw
into the emergency kit:

5 inches overall, doesn't give the weight. Handcrank 2 minutes charges it
for 30 minutes of light. 3 bulbs: can use 1 to save power or all 3 to get
more light.

20 bucks US.

Site will not display if you block cookies:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,40 725,45454

Change currency=1 in the URL to get Canadian prices.

Old November 15th 04, 05:42 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Icebound wrote:

Maybe you night flyers may be interested in something like this to throw
into the emergency kit:

That's a great deal - thanks! It does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.
How impact-resistant are LEDs? I drop regular flashlights a few times a year, and I'm
wondering if the LEDs will take that better than standard bulbs. Nothing quite like
having to drop what you're doing and head to the hardware store 'cause you just broke
your last bulb.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old November 15th 04, 05:51 PM
Peter Duniho

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message
That's a great deal - thanks! It does bring up a question I've
been meaning to ask. How impact-resistant are LEDs?

They are so much more impact resistant as to make a comparison ludicrous. A
flashlight light bulb has a thin, fragile filament dangling loosely in the
middle, just waiting to be accelerated one direction or the other. And of
course, the entire thing is housed in a thin glass shell.

An LED is basically a solid piece of plastic and silicon with some conductor
embedded. You could take a hammer directly to it and smash it, but
otherwise it's pretty much impossible for it to be damaged by any force the
rest of the flashlight would survive.

Pete

Old November 15th 04, 07:07 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Peter Duniho wrote:

They are so much more impact resistant as to make a comparison ludicrous.

Thanks. Time to order a few presents.

Old November 15th 04, 10:14 PM
Jim Burns

There are some $29 leather flight bags on Ebay for sale also. It took an
awful amount of self control not to order one yesterday.

Jim

Peter Duniho wrote:

They are so much more impact resistant as to make a comparison

ludicrous.

Thanks. Time to order a few presents.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to

have
been looking for it.

---

Old November 16th 04, 05:33 AM
Scott D.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 17:42:38 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

That's a great deal - thanks! It does bring up a question I've been meaning to ask.
How impact-resistant are LEDs? I drop regular flashlights a few times a year, and I'm
wondering if the LEDs will take that better than standard bulbs. Nothing quite like
having to drop what you're doing and head to the hardware store 'cause you just broke
your last bulb.

George Patterson

I have one of these attached to my headset.

http://www.tacticalflashlights.com/p...olight-two.htm

I took the ring off of it, and attached it with a small piece of
velcro. It has been there now for 5 years and about 1000 flight
hours. I check it every now and then and it still works like the day
I took it out of the package. You can either push the button in for a
momentary light or there is a small slide switch to keep the light on
for hands free use. Its so lite that I dont even know its there, plus
when I do need it, its right there and I dont need to go digging thru
my bag or a side pocket or have to worry about dropping it. With it
velcroed on, I know that the light is pointing in the direction my
head is looking or I can take it off and readjust it. You can also
change out the battery if you accidently leave it on and kill the
batteries.

Scott D
Old November 16th 04, 05:31 PM
Malcolm Teas

"Icebound" wrote in message ...
Maybe you night flyers may be interested in something like this to throw
into the emergency kit:

5 inches overall, doesn't give the weight. Handcrank 2 minutes charges it
for 30 minutes of light. 3 bulbs: can use 1 to save power or all 3 to get
more light.

20 bucks US.

Site will not display if you block cookies:
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...,40 725,45454

Change currency=1 in the URL to get Canadian prices.

I always carry a couple items in my pocket: Two Photon Microlights,
(see http://www.photonlight.com/) one red and one white and a
Leatherman Micra. The lights get dropped, banged around and generally
abused. I just replace the wafer batteries every 6 months to a year.
No problem.

They make great backup flashlights that I can always find. Nice for
tracing wires under a desk at work, helping with preflight, or
handling failed panel lights for three examples of their use.
Lifetime of the batteries is some 5-6 hours continous usage.

The lights are allowed into Washington DC's museums and public
buildings, but the knife isn't. Causes a ruckus at the metal
detectors I've found. The lights pass right through though, along
with the metal ring I have them on.

-Malcolm Teas
Old December 5th 04, 01:29 AM
MC

Icebound wrote:

Maybe you night flyers may be interested in something like this to throw
into the emergency kit:

5 inches overall, doesn't give the weight. Handcrank 2 minutes charges it
for 30 minutes of light. 3 bulbs: can use 1 to save power or all 3 to get
more light.

20 bucks US.

Do an experiment first to see how much it'll affect your compass.
I had one of those 'shake to charge' units and it has an
enormously-large magnetic field.
The hand-crank unit I now have will only affect the compass if
I place it very close by.