What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

Old January 19th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Default What did it take to get a ticket in 1946?

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?
In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

Not to rain on anyone's parade about "the good ol' days" -- but I've read
that the accident statistics back then were truly appalling. As FAA guys
are fond of saying, each new rule was written in blood -- which is why it's
so much harder to get your ticket nowadays.

Big John, you were there. Was it as bad as they say?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 19th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

Not to rain on anyone's parade about "the good ol' days" -- but I've
read that the accident statistics back then were truly appalling.

As appaling as the Chartreuse bedspreads in your place?

Bertie
Old January 19th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Big John writes:

In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

You can't beat that. I of course later worked up to Commercial and
Instructor SMEL and Instruments with no poblems..

Oh for the good old days )

Weren't you expected to fight a war in exchange for the easy license?
Old January 19th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 19, 10:19 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

You can't beat that. I of course later worked up to Commercial and
Instructor SMEL and Instruments with no poblems..

Oh for the good old days )

Weren't you expected to fight a war in exchange for the easy license?

You really are amazingly irritating.

Nothing can be sufficient exchange for service in wartime. It's not a
deal, and it sure as hell isn't a simulation.

Dan

Old January 19th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Big John writes:

In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

You can't beat that. I of course later worked up to Commercial and
Instructor SMEL and Instruments with no poblems..

Oh for the good old days )

Weren't you expected to fight a war in exchange for the easy license?

Two foreign concepts for you in one!

Three if oyu count the good old days.

Bertie
Old January 19th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Unfortunately for Anthony, serving the country in the military is a foreign
concept, although which service branch would take him is another question.

I could just see his lard ass in front of a Marine drill instructor,
explaining how to re-design the M-16, or expounding on infant formula and
breast feeding.

Old January 19th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Viperdoc" wrote in
:

Unfortunately for Anthony, serving the country in the military is a
foreign concept, although which service branch would take him is
another question.

I could just see his lard ass in front of a Marine drill instructor,
explaining how to re-design the M-16, or expounding on infant formula
and breast feeding.

Bwaahwhahwhahwh!

I can see the drill instructor collapsing in tears, too.

I'm thinking we should rename him Gomer, now.

Bertie
Old January 19th 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 19, 11:06 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Viperdoc" wrote :

Unfortunately for Anthony, serving the country in the military is a
foreign concept, although which service branch would take him is
another question.

I could just see his lard ass in front of a Marine drill instructor,
explaining how to re-design the M-16, or expounding on infant formula
and breast feeding.

Bwaahwhahwhahwh!

I can see the drill instructor collapsing in tears, too.

I'm thinking we should rename him Gomer, now.

Bertie

Too much credit.

Gomer actually made it through basic.

I was an Army OCS TAC (Drill instructor for officers) - Sadly I saw
his kind from time to time. We were always more than happy to keep
their stay short -- usually 2 hours -- 90 minutes of that time spent
outprocessing.

Dan

Old January 19th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

" wrote in
:

[...]

True, but the no money thingk might have suited him.
Old January 19th 08, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:
Does anyone know what the requirements were in those days?

In 1945 I was a Second Lt, Army Air Corps Pilot in RTU (Replacement
(Fighter) Training Unit) and a CAA rep came around and all of us who
wanted a Private License were given a 10 question test and then given
a Temp Certificate and regular license came in several weeks later.

Not to rain on anyone's parade about "the good ol' days" -- but I've
read that the accident statistics back then were truly appalling. As
FAA guys are fond of saying, each new rule was written in blood -- which
is why it's so much harder to get your ticket nowadays.

Big John, you were there. Was it as bad as they say?

Jay, you may want to read "Fate is the Hunter" as that will give you a
good idea of the number of early pilots who "wrote the regulations" for
those of us who followed.

Matt

FA: TWA STARLINER~1946~Bound Volume~Trans World Airline~scarce [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 7th 07 10:45 PM
Wanted: Bulkhead for 1946 Navion A Continental E-225 A-Hall Restoration 0 June 6th 06 09:11 PM
WTB:135 Ticket AML Owning 1 May 24th 06 08:41 PM
FS: 1946 Aeronca 7BCM that Needs Recovering [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 29th 05 11:41 PM
Iran crisis 1946 and Yugoslavia Vic Flintham Military Aviation 1 December 13th 03 10:50 AM