IGC Google Earth Replay

Old November 29th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tobi

Default IGC Google Earth Replay

Thanks this is one of the best additions for Google Earth and
soaring. I look forward to the fine tuning to add bank angle to the
turns and higher replay speed. At 10x my October 3rd ridge flight
still takes nearly and hour to watch. It was by far the closest I can
let anyone see what I see in flight.

bank angle is not possible with the active GE Version, may be later.
But I will work on higher speed, better control and enhanced
analytics.

Old November 29th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"tobi" wrote in message

Thanks this is one of the best additions for Google Earth and
soaring. I look forward to the fine tuning to add bank angle to the
turns and higher replay speed. At 10x my October 3rd ridge flight
still takes nearly and hour to watch. It was by far the closest I can
let anyone see what I see in flight.

bank angle is not possible with the active GE Version, may be later.
But I will work on higher speed, better control and enhanced
analytics.

It's a wonderful tool. I love it. Tobi you deserve a huge round of
applause for this.

However, I have noticed that while my Volkslogger files work fine, some IGC
files from OLC won't play. This may be what is causing problems for others.
There's an error message in German but I can't cut and paste it into
babelfish.

Bill D

Old November 29th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Markus Gayda

GREAT tool.
However i would also love to have a much more smoothed track.

Additionally a even faster playback rate (up to 100x?) would be welcome.

Thanks for this great piece of software!

CU
Markus
Old November 29th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 20:24 29 November 2007, Bill Daniels wrote:

'tobi' wrote in message
.
com...

[...]

I agree. This is an excellent utility. Many thanks
for making it available.

I don't think that it needs bank angle - it isn't a
flight simulator with an instrument panel in the screen
and the horizontal view of the scenery when turning
is fine.

However, similarly to what Bill says, most of my IGC
files won't play and I get what is probably the same
error message in German saying something about 'Vermuthlich
keine igc-Datei'. What does that signify?

John Galloway

Old November 30th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

Tim Taylor wrote:
On Nov 28, 10:41 pm, "
wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:15 pm, "
wrote:

On Nov 28, 2:18 pm, tobi wrote:
sorry, I should have mentioned, you need Google Earth 4.2 and the
current .NET installed
It falls over with an immediate null reference exception on Windows XP
SP2 on my ThinkPad. Anybody want the stack trace? email me.
No cigar.
I've got Google Earth 4.2 and the .NET 3.0 Framework with the very
latest updates. When you say the current .NET exactly what version and
update are you running against? On what OS platform? I'm on XP SP2 at
the very latest public release updates.
Anybody else got this to run?
Darryl

BTW a quick check with the debugger showed this apparently uses .NET
2.0, so you don't need to waste time downloading the NET 3.0
bloatware. I've emailed Tobi the debug information.

Darryl

I did a Google search
for
V2.0.50727 and went to the
Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x86)
page.

I downloaded the 2.0 version and installed it and the program then ran
even though my system was showing up to date on system checks.

Usually the .NET packages are shown as optional packages, so the automated
checking won't load them.

Mine works fine on a Lenovo (post ThinkPad type of laptop). Don't
understand the comments about jerkiness in the thermals, it's about
as smooth as you can reasonably expect. I use 4 second gps updates,
longer times probably look a lot worse.

The only funny item I've seen is the two demo files that came with the
software won't run, they error out immediately. Anybody else see that?

Other than that, great job, it's a lot of fun.

Dave

Old December 1st 07, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tobi

Mine works fine on a Lenovo (post ThinkPad type of laptop). Don't
understand the comments about jerkiness in the thermals, it's about
as smooth as you can reasonably expect. I use 4 second gps updates,
longer times probably look a lot worse.

The only funny item I've seen is the two demo files that came with the
software won't run, they error out immediately. Anybody else see that?

Other than that, great job, it's a lot of fun.

Dave

there is a new Build on the download page. It should solve any trouble
with unreadable igc-files (It's hard for me to test, since local
culture settings caused the problems, thanks to Mark for assistance)

Old December 1st 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Kinsell

tobi wrote:
Mine works fine on a Lenovo (post ThinkPad type of laptop). Don't
understand the comments about jerkiness in the thermals, it's about
as smooth as you can reasonably expect. I use 4 second gps updates,
longer times probably look a lot worse.

The only funny item I've seen is the two demo files that came with the
software won't run, they error out immediately. Anybody else see that?

Other than that, great job, it's a lot of fun.

Dave

there is a new Build on the download page. It should solve any trouble
with unreadable igc-files (It's hard for me to test, since local
culture settings caused the problems, thanks to Mark for assistance)

Tobi,

The new build fixed the unreadable file problem I was seeing. Worked
fine yesterday. But this morning, the perspective view from GE is
many thousands of feet too high. Both the GE eye altitude, and the
height in meters in the lower left are correct, but the view is wrong.
Using XP, SP2, .NET 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 loaded. Rebooting didn't fix.
Weird.

Dave
Old December 1st 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tobi

The new build fixed the unreadable file problem I was seeing. Worked
fine yesterday. But this morning, the perspective view from GE is
many thousands of feet too high. Both the GE eye altitude, and the
height in meters in the lower left are correct, but the view is wrong.
Using XP, SP2, .NET 1.1, 2.0, and 3.0 loaded. Rebooting didn't fix.
Weird.

Dave,
most probably terrain is switched of (Google Layers Tab) or altitude
exaggeration under tools-options-3D is not set to 1.
Tobias

Old December 2nd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Roberts

For info, Tim's spectacular October 3 ridge flight can be downloaded from
the onlinecontest.org website. Look for Tim Taylor under the Competitors
tab, then select the 2007 option under the 2008 tab. Tim's Oct 3 flight is
listed there because it was part of the 2007 competition. Click on the "i"
(information) button, then select the .igc file for downloading, and follow
the on-screen instructions to save the file to your computer. Replaying this
file puts you right in Tim's cockpit, up close and personal with those
awsome Utah mountains!
Wonderful!
Ray Roberts
Ventus 2cM, "Q"
..

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
On Nov 28, 1:32 pm, wrote:
may be someone is interested in a small programm
(http://ywtw.de/igcsim.html
) that allows you to replay IGC-files in Google Earth. It's a replay,
without use of kml, best for flights in the mountains :-)

Thanks this is one of the best additions for Google Earth and
soaring. I look forward to the fine tuning to add bank angle to the
turns and higher replay speed. At 10x my October 3rd ridge flight
still takes nearly and hour to watch. It was by far the closest I can
let anyone see what I see in flight.

Tim

Google Earth Frank Whiteley Soaring 3 November 16th 07 12:36 AM
Google Earth fun Al Denelsbeck Aviation Photos 4 January 11th 07 04:31 PM
Google Earth - Glider David Pye Soaring 1 June 8th 06 04:39 PM
SeeYou 3D and Google Earth [email protected] Soaring 4 May 23rd 06 04:24 AM
Google Earth ttaylor at cc.usu.edu Soaring 8 September 22nd 05 12:07 PM