Continental E-225-4 question

Old May 31st 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gary

Default Continental E-225-4 question

Most if not all Mogas today has Methanol in it as a replacement for
the oxygenation agent MTBE. Gas pumps are not typically labled as to
alcohol content. Both Petersen and EAA autogas STC's are not valid
with autofuels containing alcohol. At a recent IA seminar held by the
FAA we were reminded that even with an autogas STC if an airplane is
operated using a fuel containing any alcohol that the airplane would
be considered by them to be "unairworthy". Unairworthy to the FAA
also means uninsured to most aviation underwriters. So you won't have
a problem until you have a problem! Methanol is hydroscopic which
means it holds water. This water will, over time, rust the steel
parts in the fuel system.

Gary Plewa

On May 31, 6:42 am, Ron Natalie wrote:
Rip wrote:

Jim, sadly there is no mogas STC for the Navion, with any engine.

Rip

Yep, I even talked to Petersen about this (the EAA doesn't touch
6 cyls). All they knew was they had tested it and it had failed
the vapor lock test. They couldn't remember which engine, fuel
system, or model Navion they had used.

Old May 31st 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Thanks - did you notice the thread titled Gasohol? That cites a document and
others have concurred that there are some states now where you can not buy
Methanol free fuel. Back to the 100LL it seems...and think about all those
mogas STCs that have just become invalid.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
oups.com...

Old May 31st 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Gary wrote:
Most if not all Mogas today has Methanol in it as a replacement for
the oxygenation agent MTBE. Gas pumps are not typically labled as to
alcohol content. Both Petersen and EAA autogas STC's are not valid
with autofuels containing alcohol. At a recent IA seminar held by the
FAA we were reminded that even with an autogas STC if an airplane is
operated using a fuel containing any alcohol that the airplane would
be considered by them to be "unairworthy". Unairworthy to the FAA
also means uninsured to most aviation underwriters. So you won't have
a problem until you have a problem! Methanol is hydroscopic which
means it holds water. This water will, over time, rust the steel
parts in the fuel system.

I do the water test on every every tank I put in the plane. So far
here in central northern Oregon I can get alcohol-free gas. Don't
know how long it will last, though. Also I will shortly be moving
to Idaho and have no idea what is available there.

So, sadly, I agree that the life of the mogas STC is limited.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 31st 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
NW_Pilot

"Jim Carter" wrote in message
TTE: 2135
SMOH: 1316
STOH: 16

I realize this is an OLD engine model that will probably have to be
switched to an IO-470 or IO-520, but given these numbers and if it has had
no really long periods of idle time, would you be worried beyond
reasonable doubt about getting another 300 to 500 hours out of it? (also
assuming compressions are still good).

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

I have some Navion Time with that Engine not a bad engine just keep it cool
and invest in Aeroshell stock!

Old May 31st 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gary

On May 30, 11:51 pm, Frank Stutzman
wrote:

Well, there is the Beech electric prop as well. However considering that
pitch change bearings are non-existant, I doubt thats any better.
On a Bonanza, the Beech prop with 88 inch blades is considered by many to
give the best performance.

Good point Frank, but since the original poster said 225-4 which is a
wet-sump and the Bonanza uses the 225-8 dry sump version I didn't
think to mention any Beech props. Actually I believe there is yet
another with composite blades called the Koppers Aeromatic prop, very
rare if any are still airworthy.

380CHT is typical for my Navion above 8000' altitude but I feel better
when CHTs are below 350 and I need to fly in denser air to achieve
that with the cowl flaps closed.

Gary Plewa AP/IA
N4GP

Old May 31st 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gary

On May 30, 10:16 pm, Rip wrote:
I know Gary. I concur with all he says. Gary, will you be at the Navion
National?

Rip
A&P/IA

Yes, but only for a few days not the entire week. What about you?

Gary

Old June 1st 07, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Rip

Gary wrote:
On May 30, 10:16 pm, Rip wrote:

I know Gary. I concur with all he says. Gary, will you be at the Navion
National?

Rip
A&P/IA

Yes, but only for a few days not the entire week. What about you?

Gary

Hopefully all week!
Rip
Old June 1st 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article .com,
Gary wrote:

Most if not all Mogas today has Methanol in it as a replacement for
the oxygenation agent MTBE. Gas pumps are not typically labled as to
alcohol content. Both Petersen and EAA autogas STC's are not valid
with autofuels containing alcohol. At a recent IA seminar held by the
FAA we were reminded that even with an autogas STC if an airplane is
operated using a fuel containing any alcohol that the airplane would
be considered by them to be "unairworthy". Unairworthy to the FAA
also means uninsured to most aviation underwriters. So you won't have
a problem until you have a problem! Methanol is hydroscopic which
means it holds water. This water will, over time, rust the steel
parts in the fuel system.

Gary Plewa

Gary,

You are confusing methanol with ethanol.

Neither is approved for aviation fuel usage.

Both are hydroscopic -- methanol more than ethanol.

Both have materials incompatibilities.

Both increase fuel consumption and reduce power.

Ethanol is the alcohol of choice (Per Archer-Daniels Midland) for
gasohol. It is also the stuff you drink. Methanol will destroy your eyes.
Old June 1st 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Gary

Gary,

You are confusing methanol with ethanol.

Neither is approved for aviation fuel usage.

Both are hydroscopic -- methanol more than ethanol.

Both have materials incompatibilities.

Both increase fuel consumption and reduce power.

Ethanol is the alcohol of choice (Per Archer-Daniels Midland) for
gasohol. It is also the stuff you drink. Methanol will destroy your eyes.

Yup, you are absolutely right. After I hit the return key I realized
my mistake. Grain alcohol (i.e. moonshine) is used in Gasoline, hence
the increase in corn prices. Not denatured alcohol (e.g. Methanol).

Old June 1st 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

Gary wrote:

Yup, you are absolutely right. After I hit the return key I realized
my mistake. Grain alcohol (i.e. moonshine) is used in Gasoline, hence
the increase in corn prices. Not denatured alcohol (e.g. Methanol).

Methanol is not the same as denatured alcohol, either. Denatured alcohol
is ethanol that has been intentionally contaminated with methanol.

Question about wings on Continental Airlines plane? [email protected] Piloting 5 December 13th 06 03:50 AM
Continental 757 18R @ MCO Glen in Orlando Aviation Photos 4 November 30th 06 04:15 AM
Continental O-200 ? Stealth Pilot Home Built 48 September 23rd 06 06:32 PM
Continental 0-200 Robert Home Built 0 August 31st 05 11:57 AM
Continental IO-360 question Jeff P Owning 0 September 21st 03 08:03 PM