A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Phoebus Tow Release Needed

Old November 24th 19, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

Default Phoebus Tow Release Needed

Our club recently was gifted a late production Phoebus for our youth program to assist it rebuilding. The ship is like no Phoebus that you have ever seen! Without further detail all I will say is WOW! World class painter was commissioned to do the artwork on the tail.
What we need is some information on the tow release mechanism. The release is a Tost model 33192. This release is for winch towing, in as much as the ring will rotate back at the top of the tow allowing the release to automatically open. We would kike to change this to a locked ring collar model that will allow for aero tow only if possible. This may possibly be the only type available, I am not that cognizant of this release or model.
Does anyone out there know anything about this model or a replacement that would work. Thanks, Bob
Old November 24th 19, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Pictures?

On 11/24/2019 1:16 PM, Bob Youngblood wrote:
Our club recently was gifted a late production Phoebus for our youth program to assist it rebuilding. The ship is like no Phoebus that you have ever seen! Without further detail all I will say is WOW! World class painter was commissioned to do the artwork on the tail.
What we need is some information on the tow release mechanism. The release is a Tost model 33192. This release is for winch towing, in as much as the ring will rotate back at the top of the tow allowing the release to automatically open. We would kike to change this to a locked ring collar model that will allow for aero tow only if possible. This may possibly be the only type available, I am not that cognizant of this release or model.
Does anyone out there know anything about this model or a replacement that would work. Thanks, Bob

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 24th 19, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 1:16:14 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:

I owned a Phoebus C. There were no problem aero towing it. It is a type certified glider, so changing the type of tow hook may not be allowed and probably not recommended by Tost. Contacting Rudolph Lindner would probably be the best place for advice for the Phoebus.

http://www.ltb-lindner.com/home.104.html

Mike
Old November 24th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Gilbert[_2_]
external usenet poster

Difficult to know exactly what the release in question looks like, but there is no problem aerotowing from both common styles of tost release. My DG100 has only a belly release with the back release function as you described. A bit of wheel brake on take up slack can stop the glider overrunning the rope and back releasing.

The type of belly release i'm referring to looks like this :

https://gliderstuff.com.au/product/t...dg-salto-sh72/

Nick.

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 6:46:14 AM UTC+10:30, Bob Youngblood wrote:

Old November 25th 19, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 2:16:14 PM UTC-6, Bob Youngblood wrote:

Hey Bob,
I had a Phoebus C for a while, the belly release was a regular Tost E-85, but there was an AD/TN relocating the release from the gear to the belly. I believe the retractible gear location was determined to be too far aft for safe winching. Mine had a trim cover plate that allowed the moving ring to back release.
Good luck,
Scott
Old November 25th 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Bob,
I think what you are seeing is the serial number of the release, not the model number. And as others have said, you do not want to change to a different type of release. Back then, I guess pilots were more interested in flying their planes, so a single tow hitch location worked for both air and ground launches.

Take a look at the pictures of the Tost releases on Wings and Wheels. Look through the papers on the plane. It s probably new enough that it doesn't fall under the "every X years" but falls under the number of actuations limitation.

I would encourage you to not go changing something that is not likely broken and does not need changing.

Just my two cents worth. Enjoy the plane. Oh, I have the Phoebus C that Scott Williams mentions in his note above. I need to get busy on that plane!

Steve Leonard

Old November 25th 19, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 11:36:35 AM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Bob,
I think what you are seeing is the serial number of the release, not the model number. And as others have said, you do not want to change to a different type of release. Back then, I guess pilots were more interested in flying their planes, so a single tow hitch location worked for both air and ground launches.

Take a look at the pictures of the Tost releases on Wings and Wheels. Look through the papers on the plane. It s probably new enough that it doesn't fall under the "every X years" but falls under the number of actuations limitation.

I would encourage you to not go changing something that is not likely broken and does not need changing.

Just my two cents worth. Enjoy the plane. Oh, I have the Phoebus C that Scott Williams mentions in his note above. I need to get busy on that plane!

Steve Leonard

Thanks to all, I have decided to send the unit back to TOST for their rebuild option. As Steve said, I am probably looking at the serial number. Sending it back is the best option, they offer a two week turn around. Yes, these young pirates of the club will certainly enjoy the ship. Bob
Old November 25th 19, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]
external usenet poster

Just curious, Bob. Is this N500BP? If so, I know that plane, and it is the one Mike C use to own.

Enjoy the plane!

Steve Leonard
Old November 25th 19, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 3:00:29 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Just curious, Bob. Is this N500BP? If so, I know that plane, and it is the one Mike C use to own.

Enjoy the plane!

Steve Leonard

Steve, this plane came from Arizona and was owned by Tony C. Old number was N8364H, and we are in the process of getting a new number. The old number was reassigned to someone else. I will try to get some pics to you.
I just sent the hook to W&W, thy are going to identify and exchange. Thanks, Bob
Old November 25th 19, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 3:54:59 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Monday, November 25, 2019 at 3:00:29 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:

Enjoy the plane!

Steve Leonard

Steve, this plane came from Arizona and was owned by Tony C. Old number was N8364H, and we are in the process of getting a new number. The old number was reassigned to someone else. I will try to get some pics to you.
I just sent the hook to W&W, thy are going to identify and exchange. Thanks, Bob

Oops, 8634H sorry for the mistake. Bob
How did you like the pics?