Paint Question

Old October 12th 11, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

Default Paint Question

I was researching what paint was on my Ka-6, and the last entry
regarding the paint on the fuse say that they used "KOMAC Epoxy Gloss
White" (back in '67). Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer
and what can be used to remove this paint from the fuse?

Thanks

Peter
Old October 12th 11, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

On Oct 11, 6:05*pm, vontresc wrote:
I was researching what paint was on my Ka-6, and the last entry
regarding the paint on the fuse say that they used "KOMAC Epoxy Gloss
White" (back in '67). Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer
and what can be used to remove this paint from the fuse?

Thanks

Peter

I wouldn't try any kind of paint remover on a wood ship, most contain
acid which can soak into the wood. Best to use good old fashioned
elbow-grease.
JJ
Old October 12th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Herbert kilian

On Oct 12, 8:21*am, JJ Sinclair wrote:
On Oct 11, 6:05*pm, vontresc wrote:

I was researching what paint was on my Ka-6, and the last entry
regarding the paint on the fuse say that they used "KOMAC Epoxy Gloss
White" (back in '67). Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer
and what can be used to remove this paint from the fuse?

Thanks

Peter

I wouldn't try any kind of paint remover on a wood ship, most contain
acid which can soak into the wood. Best to use good old fashioned
elbow-grease.
JJ

I remember back in Germany we used paint remover in form of a paste to
get the paint and old cotton off. Worked pretty well except this was
done in Winter in an overheated work shop and the fumes had us all
walking around like zombies. Must have killed millions of brain cells
which would explain my poor memory and other functional problems.
Peter, I'll inquire with my friends back at the German club and let
you know what they recommend. They still keep their '72 Ka6-E in
pristine condition. It was one of the last batch of 10 Ka6's that
Schleicher made.
Herb
Old October 13th 11, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:05:29 -0700 (PDT), vontresc
wrote:

I was researching what paint was on my Ka-6, and the last entry
regarding the paint on the fuse say that they used "KOMAC Epoxy Gloss
White" (back in '67). Does anyone know anything about the manufacturer
and what can be used to remove this paint from the fuse?

Thanks

Peter

in the late 70's we recovered and refinished our Ka-6E. This ship had
the original factory paint and fabric (almost certainly not an epoxy
based paint).

Below are my notes from that process.

==========
The surface paint was stripped to the bare wood in the area forward of
the main wing spar both top and bottom. This was done with a standard
commercial paint stripper (Zip-Strip by Star Bronze Co.) . Caution
must be exercised in scraping off the paint, we used a wooden scraper
which was actually a household spatula. After a majority of the paint
was scraped off with the stri pper, a reciproca1 power sander was used
to take off the remainder of the paint down to the bare wood.

No problems in the following half dozen years we had the ship, and to
the best of my knowledge, no problems since.

Bob