Washing - how often?

Old May 3rd 05, 12:48 AM
Reid & Julie Baldwin

Default Washing - how often?

How often do you wash your airplane?

Old May 3rd 05, 12:52 AM
Jon Kraus

As often as I can talk my partner into doing it... :-)

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old May 3rd 05, 05:46 AM
tony roberts

leading edges/struts - every flight.

Full meal deal - every month in summer, not in winter.

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old May 3rd 05, 06:22 AM
Jack Allison

tony roberts wrote:

leading edges/struts - every flight.

Struts? Oh ya, I remember those. :-)

Ditto on the leading edges every flight (well, except for the times I
get back and it's really dark).

As for washing...stay tuned. Have only washed once since we've had the
plane (right at one month now). I'd expect once a month or so.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-IA Student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old May 3rd 05, 07:08 AM
Javier Henderson

"Reid & Julie Baldwin" writes:

How often do you wash your airplane?

I wash the leading edges after coming home, right after parking the
plane.

Once or twice during the summer, I'll do a complete wash. I own a
Skylane, washing it feel like washing three cars at once. Not little
Datsuns either, more like '77 Cadillacs.

-jav
Old May 3rd 05, 02:51 PM
Paul kgyy

Clean bugs off every flight if I have time. Service shop washes it in
January as part of the annual, then a couple of times during the summer.

Old May 3rd 05, 05:55 PM
Frank Stutzman

Reid & Julie Baldwin wrote:
How often do you wash your airplane?

Hmmmm, hafta think on that one. 1998?, 2001?

Ok, so maybe I take a putty knife and chip off the windsheild every once
in a while. Less since I became IFR rated.

Hey, I know my paint is bad, washing it just shows me HOW bad it is.
Also, the drier it stays, the less it will corrode.

for the humor impaired, but, honestly, I'm not a frequent washer.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 3rd 05, 09:32 PM
Ben Hallert

I was hoping someone would answer 'when the dirt reaches the point
where I need to update the weight & balance data'.

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL

Old May 3rd 05, 09:40 PM
Jim Burns

"often" infers that there is a beginning and an end, the wash/wax job on our
Aztec is always a work in progress.
Jim

Old May 3rd 05, 11:24 PM
Robert M. Gary

3 times a year, plus after any Mexico trips. The wash is good, but the
the wax is more important. I have a very laminar wing so I probably get
an extra knot or two with a smooth buffed and waxed wing. Its also
important to keep the wheel wells clean. There are a lot of moving
parts in there (retractable) that get gummed up with dirt and cost a
lot of money.

-Robert, M20F