Modern Primary Gliders - for veedubber.

Old September 22nd 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

Default Modern Primary Gliders - for veedubber.

Veedubber dont worry too much about vaughn. I dont know why he carries
on so much.

the topic of this post is to make you aware of a set of free
downloadable plans for a modern incarnation of the old primary glider.
have a look at Mike Sandlin's pages on the "Goat"
http://home.att.net/~mikesandlin/g4doc.htm
this is a flight proven design judging by the details posted.
at the bottom of the page are links to 4 other primary style gliders.

from my google searching over the past few nights Mike Sandelin has
achieved a unique status in all of the internet. His are the only
glider plans available free and downloadable from the internet.

Mike you're a champion. I salute your effort.

Stealth Pilot
Old September 22nd 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 22, 7:18*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
Veedubber dont worry too much about vaughn. I dont know why he carries
on so much.

Dear Stealth,

You appear to have misinterpreted something I've written. I worry
about having cancer. I worry about a rattlesnake getting into the
patio and being discovered by the grandkids. I worry about a
government that is unresponsive to the voice of the people.

But I don't worry about people on the internet. There's simply too
many truly important things to worry about.

Any proposal worthy of mention will garner some amount of negative
comment, which is generally good since it usually serves to IMPROVE
the proposal. But there's nothing to be gained by treating such
comments as a PERSONAL attack. And even when it is, the most suitable
response is none at all. This isn't a case of sugar vs vinegar --
we've all got enough flies in our lives. Acceptance of a proposal
requires the proposal to stand on its own two feet -- to be accepted
on its merits.

The basic problem is the decline of general aviation in America,
especially in the area of grass-roots aviation, where the people who
want to fly simply can't afford to do so. A proposal involving
Primary Gliders as a starting point, followed by a simple two-place
trainer powered by an industrial engine has, in my opinion, enough
merit to justify itself. Perhaps not immediately but at some point in
the future. That's because the situation that gave rise to such a
proposal to begin with is not only still with us, it is getting
worse.

The 'official' solution whipped up by the bureaucrats in the EAA is
proving to be just another high-priced boon-doggle. The people who
wanted to fly before the SLA debacle are still with us -- and still
just as far from flying as they were before. Once people realize that
an imported airplane costing over a hundred thousand dollars does not
address the basic problem I'm sure the proposal for Primary Gliders
and Pietenpol trainers will gain more support. When that support
reaches a certain Critical Mass we will begin to see it being adopted
by EAA Chapters.

History shows that such a program was an effective means of training
pilots. Once the modern version of such a program shows that it's
capable of producing the same results, I've a hunch it will be adopted
by the EAA. (Because if they don't get onboard they'll soon find
themselves reduced to little more than an air-show organizer.

But I don't worry about Vaughn. Nor about you :-) I see you both as
allies in this effort.

-R.S.Hoover
Old September 24th 08, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:25:39 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 22, 7:18*am, Stealth Pilot

History shows that such a program was an effective means of training
pilots. Once the modern version of such a program shows that it's
capable of producing the same results, I've a hunch it will be adopted
by the EAA. (Because if they don't get onboard they'll soon find
themselves reduced to little more than an air-show organizer.

But I don't worry about Vaughn. Nor about you :-) I see you both as
allies in this effort.

-R.S.Hoover

ok so I'm the snake under the verandah here. I post with a nom de
plume because the discussions arent about me (or any other ego) they
are about aviation. if we kept it that way it'd be good.

the GOAT ! ....remember the GOAT.

that design uses modern materials. it appears to my eye to have
overcome one of the faults of the original primary glider in that it
isnt carrying surplus weight. this means that the thing can fly slow
enough that momentum doesnt enter into the crash equation. it has full
3 axis control and can loaf along at 23 miles per hour.

it strikes me that such a design *could* be built reasonably cheaply.
if you had some built and you had a hill and a breeze and a bunch of
kids you could be set up for an afternoon of really fun flying.

personally if it cant do a hundred knots I'm usually not interested
but when I was perusing the details it struck me that the guy has
achieved something quite noteworthy. he has actually achieved a
competent light weight minimal design. my engineering eye was quite
impressed.

the other thing that impressed me was that he had the balls to present
usable sketches of his work as a free zip download.

I really think that kids *would* be interested in this modern
incarnation of the primary glider whereas they would probably turn
their noses up at a vintage design. kids being kids.

it is worth checking out!
Stealth Pilot

Old September 25th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Mick[_2_]

Howard aka "Stealth Pilot" wrote in
message ...
| On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 11:25:39 -0700 (PDT), "
| wrote:
|

| ok so I'm the snake under the verandah here. I post with a nom de
| plume because the discussions arent about me (or any other ego) they
| are about aviation. if we kept it that way it'd be good.
|
| the GOAT ! ....remember the GOAT.
|
| that design uses modern materials. it appears to my eye to have
| overcome one of the faults of the original primary glider in that it
| isnt carrying surplus weight. this means that the thing can fly slow
| enough that momentum doesnt enter into the crash equation. it has full
| 3 axis control and can loaf along at 23 miles per hour.
|
| it strikes me that such a design *could* be built reasonably cheaply.
| if you had some built and you had a hill and a breeze and a bunch of
| kids you could be set up for an afternoon of really fun flying.
|
| personally if it cant do a hundred knots I'm usually not interested
| but when I was perusing the details it struck me that the guy has
| achieved something quite noteworthy. he has actually achieved a
| competent light weight minimal design. my engineering eye was quite
| impressed.
|
| the other thing that impressed me was that he had the balls to present
| usable sketches of his work as a free zip download.
|
| I really think that kids *would* be interested in this modern
| incarnation of the primary glider whereas they would probably turn
| their noses up at a vintage design. kids being kids.
|
| it is worth checking out!
| Stealth Pilot

Yeah, but you still think brakes are not designed to stop and aircraft.