Considering portable garage/fabric shelter - what did you do?

Old August 7th 05, 08:22 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Considering portable garage/fabric shelter - what did you do?

A possibility exists I might want to move the fuselage of the Tcraft
to my back yard in order to work on it (wings off, stored elsewhere).
I'd need to build a shelter of some kind. 12x26. Has anyone else
consider this and if so, what did they do? I see portable garages for
sale on the 'net, but wondering if I could DIY; Don't want it shabby
looking - MIke
Old August 7th 05, 08:46 PM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message

A possibility exists I might want to move the fuselage of the Tcraft
to my back yard in order to work on it (wings off, stored elsewhere).
I'd need to build a shelter of some kind. 12x26. Has anyone else
consider this and if so, what did they do? I see portable garages for
sale on the 'net, but wondering if I could DIY; Don't want it shabby
looking - MIke

Don't understimate the power of the wind and the strength of cheap tarps. I
build a stucture somewhat larger than that with a tarp roof and
pollyethylene on the walls. I figgured that the plastic would blow off if
the wind got too strong.

Wrong...

A gust from a thunderstorm picked it up, it cleared the boat that was under
it, and smashed it on the ground.

Anchor it well, whatever you do.

Note:
It was made with 2x4 "studs" about 6 feet on center, 1x4 "rafters" with 1x3
diagonal bracing, cross ties, etc. Assembled with dry-wall screws.
To attach the polly to the walls, I put a strip of packing tape over the
plastic along each "stud" and stapled through the packing tape and plastic.
It didn't come off.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old August 7th 05, 09:07 PM
Morgans

"Capt. Geoffry Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

Don't understimate the power of the wind and the strength of cheap tarps.

build a stucture somewhat larger than that with a tarp roof and
pollyethylene on the walls. I figgured that the plastic would blow off if
the wind got too strong.

Wrong...

Agreed. Use substantial footings (read deep) with bolts for the posts, or
use mobile home screw in anchors, and loop straps all of the way over the
top.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 7th 05, 09:18 PM
Morgans

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message

A possibility exists I might want to move the fuselage of the Tcraft
to my back yard in order to work on it (wings off, stored elsewhere).
I'd need to build a shelter of some kind. 12x26. Has anyone else
consider this and if so, what did they do? I see portable garages for
sale on the 'net, but wondering if I could DIY; Don't want it shabby
looking - MIke

Even though I'm a carpenter, you probably could not build for what you could
buy a portable for.

Think about one of those metal carport jobies, and add a bit of metal roof
material for the sides, and a piece of canvas for the door. The door will
be on the short side, but you could make a rolling dolly to set the gear on
while you pull it in and out, or put it in with the wing off.

Another point in favor of a temp job is that you will not have to meet
building code, which could add considerable money to the whole concept.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 8th 05, 02:53 PM
dodger

check out
www.pan.cc for home built sheds/hangers/etc. even snow rated.

Roger

Old August 8th 05, 11:13 PM
Michael Horowitz

Thanks - Mike

Old August 12th 05, 02:08 AM
Lou

I agree, I was thinking of doing the same thing but with a twist. I am
considering using bigger size supports that will fit into the smaller
size supports so I can lower the top closer to the ground when not in
use to keep the kids out.
Lou

Old August 16th 05, 03:27 PM
daniel peterman

Pep Boys has a 12x20 with sides and steel frame for 400 bucks.
Shelterworkz brand. Google for shelterworkz for entire product line.