OSH: Icon A5 presentation

Old August 2nd 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Default OSH: Icon A5 presentation

and now for soemthing completely different:

the ICON A5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpNBNg4JzeQ

about 140AMUs

and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

#m
Old August 2nd 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

Too bad it's aggressively VFR-only and, as far as I could tell, completely
non-upgradeable - with a nonstandard instrument layout, *tiny* engine
gauges, one com radio, no nav radios, and a mode C transponder, and that's
it.

It suffers from a 2008 version of the 1940s tendency to try to make airplane
panels look like automobile dashboards. It didn't work then, and it doesn't
work now. Airplanes are not cars, and shouldn't try to act like them.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old August 2nd 08, 12:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

Too bad it's aggressively VFR-only and,

.... and it is a LSA, so I'd have no problem with this.

as far as I could tell, completely
non-upgradeable - with a nonstandard instrument layout, *tiny* engine
gauges, one com radio, no nav radios, and a mode C transponder, and that's
it.

it is a LSA; weight matters. Out of the video: you can upgrade:
automatic wingfold, retrectable gear, parachute.

It suffers from a 2008 version of the 1940s tendency to try to make airplane
panels look like automobile dashboards. It didn't work then, and it doesn't
work now. Airplanes are not cars, and shouldn't try to act like them.

I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.

#m
Old August 2nd 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

Too bad it's aggressively VFR-only and,

... and it is a LSA, so I'd have no problem with this.

Who says an LSA has to be VFR-only? Mine's not.

as far as I could tell, completely non-upgradeable - with a nonstandard
instrument layout, *tiny* engine gauges, one com radio, no nav radios,
and a mode C transponder, and that's it.

it is a LSA; weight matters. Out of the video: you can upgrade:
automatic wingfold, retrectable gear, parachute.

And still a fixed, non-upgradeable panel. What happens when ADS-B is
required? (This will happen one day, hopefully in a better form than the FAA
tried the first time.)

It suffers from a 2008 version of the 1940s tendency to try to make airplane
panels look like automobile dashboards. It didn't work then, and it doesn't
work now. Airplanes are not cars, and shouldn't try to act like them.

I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.

The "modern, European look" is intended to look like a Porsche or BMW. Car.
Old August 2nd 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Maynard schrieb:
I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.

The "modern, European look" is intended to look like a Porsche or BMW. Car.

this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.

#m
Old August 2nd 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
Jay Maynard schrieb:
I don't care about the car-design, but I like the modern and european look.

The "modern, European look" is intended to look like a Porsche or BMW. Car.

this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.

Form follows function. ICON got it backwards.
Old August 2nd 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Maynard schrieb:
this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.

Form follows function. ICON got it backwards.

what's not OK for you out of the ICOM functions? IMHO it is a pure
recreational "tool", comparable to a quad, or a jetski(?), etc.; the
main "use" is for having fun, flying for a $100 burger, ...

it flies and floats (well, then you should rather rent than buy *gggg*).

#m
Old August 2nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-02, Martin Hotze wrote:
Jay Maynard schrieb:
this is OK for me; I don't like the Cessna et-al desgins.

Form follows function. ICON got it backwards.

what's not OK for you out of the ICOM functions? IMHO it is a pure
recreational "tool", comparable to a quad, or a jetski(?), etc.; the
main "use" is for having fun, flying for a $100 burger, ...

If I'm going to spend $150K on an airplane, it's going to be used, and
useful, for more than just flying around for fun. It's a transportation
tool.

The A5 is aimed at the guy who'd buy a Cigarette boat, not at the pilot who
wants to go places.
Old August 2nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Maynard schrieb:
If I'm going to spend $150K on an airplane,

well, $150K is now not that much any more than it was earlier, the
exchange rate is in our favour.

it's going to be used, and
useful, for more than just flying around for fun. It's a transportation
tool.

hmm, if I'd buy a flying transportation tool it would be something like
a D-Jet or a DA-42, but nothing like a C172 or similar.

The A5 is aimed at the guy who'd buy a Cigarette boat, not at the pilot who
wants to go places.

Or at the recreational pilot, flying with +1 for fun (still going
places, but VFR, though).

#m
Old August 2nd 08, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default Icon A5 presentation

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message ...
and now for soemthing completely different:

the ICON A5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpNBNg4JzeQ

about 140AMUs

and boy, this is a cockpit from this century, not like most of the other
crap on the market.

#m

It is a very nice plane. It will be interesting to see if they can hold that price point.

Icon A-5 gatt[_5_] Piloting 4 June 15th 08 03:31 PM
National Icon Dies Suddenly Shiver Rotorcraft 0 April 17th 06 12:22 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM
F.S. NEW ICON A4 [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 December 17th 04 06:33 AM