HID Landing Light

Old February 17th 07, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default HID Landing Light

You can't use wig wags with HID or is that just the zenon?

I did something similar to those-- i bought the Home Depot desk track
lights for $15 each, molded them into the wingtip.

Then I noticed my buddy was running the same size on his Quads. So I
swapped out the existing low watts for 100w+. IIRC

Wig wag was a priority on the RV-7a although I'm wondering about HID for
another project and forgetting the wig wags.

rv-7a
feb. 06 first flight
262 hrs.

Old February 17th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

No, can't run wig wags with HID. It takes them several seconds to
warm up, like sodium street lights.

I like to tinker.

The thought occurred to me, that you could take two of those self contained
HID helmet and handlebar lights that the original question was about, and
make them fold down out of the bottom of the wing, like some of the old
landing lights. They also could be behind a molded plexi leading edge
cover, if you wanted to do it that way.

The extra trick I had in mind, that would give a flashing recognition light
effect, would be to have them driven by something like a windshield wiper
motor, hooked to a cable going to each wingtip, oscillating them back and
forth through about 30 degrees each side of center, with the park setting of
the wiper gearbox aiming the lights straight ahead for landing.

What do you think? Ever seen anything like that done before?
--
Jim in NC

Old February 17th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill McMullen

"Richard Riley" wrote in message

No, can't run wig wags with HID. It takes them several seconds to
warm up, like sodium street lights.

Digging around the internet a while ago I came across the following:
http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/hid_pulsing.html
Looks like wig-wag is now possible but at 4-digit prices.

Old February 17th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

You could do an LCD shutter.

http://www.smartglassinternational.c...martglass.html

Neat site. It could do some interesting things, such as a fast twinkle,
like strobes do.

It does look like it has disadvantage, as even when it is clear, some of the
light is scattered. That would mean reduced lumens focused on the runway.
:-(

Also, it still would only put the bright beam on a narrow range of potential
viewers. By swiveling, it would pan across a wider angle, while keeping the
focus bright, where more views might see the lights.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 17th 07, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

"Morgans" wrote in message ...
:
: "Richard Riley" wrote
:
[...]
: --
: Jim in NC
:

Can you spell vertigo?

Old February 17th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Bill McMullen" wrote in message

"Richard Riley" wrote in message

No, can't run wig wags with HID. It takes them several seconds to
warm up, like sodium street lights.

Digging around the internet a while ago I came across the following:
http://www.aerovisions.com/hid/hid_pulsing.html
Looks like wig-wag is now possible but at 4-digit prices.

The folks I've found who wig-wag HID's don't turn the lights off. They
simply cycle the lights from normal voltage to a lower voltage, creating a
wig-wag effect.

KB

Old February 18th 07, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Blueskies" wrote

Can you spell vertigo?

Chuckle

True, perhaps, if you did not switch to the "Park Straight Ahead" alignment,
before they started illuminating the ground.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 18th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote

I think with any kind of moisture in the air (thin haze, mist, 5 mile
visibility) they would be disorienting.

More so than wig-wag sing lights? I don't know.

If it was, it would be a simple choice to leave them pointed straight ahead.
--
Jim in NC

Landing Light SOP kristoffer-m20j Piloting 94 November 4th 05 03:36 AM
Landing light CB Hankal Piloting 15 August 30th 04 08:32 PM
Landing light? Hankal Owning 6 July 19th 04 05:16 PM
landing light Hankal Owning 7 July 16th 04 03:16 PM
Landing light Hankal Aviation Marketplace 0 July 14th 04 01:23 AM