Another Zoom Lie Discovered

Old February 11th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
George

Default Another Zoom Lie Discovered

Harry K wrote:
On Feb 10, 4:55 pm, Jim Carriere wrote:
Ron Wanttaja wrote:
On 10 Feb 2007 16:14:45 -0800, "BobR" wrote:
Many things don't quite add up. For instance...
Q. What is your military service number?
A. It would be the same as my social security number - 146524672.
When did the Air Force, Army, or any branch of the service start using
the Social Security Number as the Military Service Number? It sure
wasn't used when I was in the Air Force.
And you, Billy Mitchell, and Ben Folois probably had many arguments about it,
too. :-)
Not sure when it was, but the services did switch to the SSAN. I went in the
Air Force about the same time as Zoom, and my SSAN was my service number.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/1960.html

Skip down to July 1, 1969.

It seems like a McNamara-ism (whiz-kid style business decision), but it
actually happened after his tenure as SECDEF and during the first Nixon
administration.- Hide quoted text -

That was a surprise. I was in 1954-1975. I was thinking it was late
50s or early 60s. Still remember my old AF number.

Harry K

I was drafted in 67, issued an Army Service Number, it was changed to
SSN in 68 before heading off to South Viet Nam. Remember it well,
drilled into my head.

George V.
Old February 11th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Moffett

George wrote in
t:

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The Air Force changed to the SSN shortly after I started
basic training in February 1968. We had a service number the
day we started, but by the time we got to stenciling our
number on our underware it was the first initial of the last
name and the last four of your SSN. Since the first week was
spent as a Rainbow Flight (remember that? ), it was in
February.

Ken
Old February 11th 07, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DeanB

On Feb 11, 7:57 am, Ken Moffett wrote:
George wrote . net:

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Ken- Hide quoted text -

That shows you how slow they learned. I went in to the AF in Sept.
68, was assigned RAF #, Stenciled in shorts, then switched to ssn
afterwards. I think some of shorts are still packed away with 3707 in
the band. May be a little ripe by now! Also doubt that they would
come close to fitting. as I recall the number was related year and to
sequencing of classes 68 053 707.

Dean B.

Old February 11th 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Moffett

Ken Moffett wrote in
:

George wrote in
t:

Harry K wrote:

-
[...]

Sorry, I made a mistake on the switch from Service Number to
SSN. I had said February of '68. That was wrong...that was
when
I got married. Anniversary the 25th! It was a year later, Feb
'69 February that I started Basic Training, and switch was
made
to SSN.

Ken

Old February 12th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Feb 11, 12:15 pm, Ken Moffett wrote:
Ken Moffett wrote :

George wrote in
et:

Harry K wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That explains it then, that was a few months after I got out of the
Air Force. I didn't know they had switched to the SSN and considering
the considering the Governments distaste for using the SSN for
anything beyond the Social Security Program, I am surprised.

Old February 12th 07, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Not Me

The good ol days....remember about 10 years ago when Badwater made that
webpage about zoomy.....Getting served papers....damn that was funny!

--
Turbo Tiger

Old February 13th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
anon

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:04:34 GMT, "Not Me"
wrote:

The good ol days....remember about 10 years ago when Badwater made that
webpage about zoomy.....Getting served papers....damn that was funny!

Badwater always seemed to think it was a joke. I took Zoom much more
seriously than that. I still do. Every weekend I work behind the
door that he put a clip full of 9mm through.

Really? I missed this story.

Old February 13th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

In article , Richard Riley says...

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:11:03 -0500, "anon" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

The good ol days....remember about 10 years ago when Badwater made that
webpage about zoomy.....Getting served papers....damn that was funny!

Badwater always seemed to think it was a joke. I took Zoom much more
seriously than that. I still do. Every weekend I work behind the
door that he put a clip full of 9mm through.

Really? I missed this story.

An old story.

Something appeared on the internet that he didn't like. He wrote on
the Internet that he was going to go to California to "take care if it
- permanantly."

The next week, in the middle of the night, someone fired 8 rounds of
9mm through the door of my shop.

He then wrote that he'd gone to California and the address was a
Mexican bar. In fact, my shop is next door to a Mexican bar (which is
why the rent is cheap, the music comes through the walls.)

So I take him seriously.

WOW I never heard about that one must have been before my time on RAH. Did the
cops ever investigate?

Chuck S

Old February 15th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Juan Jimenez[_1_]

Don't forget he was also ordained as a satanist priest and has been known to
take a whiz on mother theresa's grave.

"anon" wrote in message
Did anyone noticed that Zoom claimed, under oath, to have received an
appointment to a military academy?