Looking for a sub-100hp engine with long TBO time.

Old November 13th 05, 02:26 AM
Awsome

Default Looking for a sub-100hp engine with long TBO time.

BMW engines are very good and reliable but a lil bit pricy, For 5500 Euro I
would rather go for Rotax 912.

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"tffy" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is for a hypothetical ultralight design, so just looking for
suggestions here of where to look at... hopefully a 4-stroke, purchase
price doesn't matter much, certification status doesn't matter either.
Long time before overhaul matters A LOT... so, the longer the better.
Is there anything out there in the 80-hp range? How about a motorcycle
engine conversion - how long can those go before needing to be
overhauled?

Beemer? http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Cat.../bmwengine.htm I
have spent thousands of hours riding on top of my BMW engine, and often
thought that I wouldn't mind flying behind one. That said, they have
never been terribly popular with homebuilders for some reason.

Vaughn

Old November 13th 05, 02:44 AM
Awsome

I know couple of my freinds who are using modified auto engines for their
home built aircrafts. Engines they used are from the following model cars:

Honda Civic 1.2 Lit
Toyota Corolla Diesel, 1.8 Lit
Daihatsu Charade Turbo Diesel, 1.0 Lit, 4 Cylinder (In fact I 'm considering
using the same engine, very compact in design and light weight)

If any one interested in gettin these engines please hit me I can arrange
that. These engines could be zero miles refurbished or could be thousands
miles on it, depending on price. All the above listed models are overseas
models and you don't find them in US market.

"tffy" wrote in message
oups.com...
This is for a hypothetical ultralight design, so just looking for
suggestions here of where to look at... hopefully a 4-stroke, purchase
price doesn't matter much, certification status doesn't matter either.
Long time before overhaul matters A LOT... so, the longer the better.
Is there anything out there in the 80-hp range? How about a motorcycle
engine conversion - how long can those go before needing to be
overhauled?

Thanks!

Old November 13th 05, 04:07 PM
ls

tffy wrote:
This is for a hypothetical ultralight design, so just looking for
suggestions here of where to look at... hopefully a 4-stroke, purchase
price doesn't matter much, certification status doesn't matter either.
Long time before overhaul matters A LOT... so, the longer the better.
Is there anything out there in the 80-hp range? How about a motorcycle
engine conversion - how long can those go before needing to be
overhauled?

Thanks!

If it's going to be a true ultralight (meets part 103), there probably
isn't a 4-stroke on the market that'll allow you make weight, much less
anything that puts out 80hp......

For true part 103 ultralights, the Rotax 447 is still the best motor
available. One of the neat secrets of 2-strokes is they fairly easily
allow you to install excessive power. The result here being a loafing
engine most of the time - the side effect of that being increased
reliability and longevity. This mostly due to the power/weight. A 447
with a good prop on a part 103 aircraft is more than plenty power and
will loaf along most of the flight.

Another neat thing about the 447 is that the crank assembly used is in
spittin' distance of the one in the 503 (the 50hp motor) in terms of
size and strength, yet the motor makes only about 40hp max. So the crank
assemblies in these things last for a long long time (600 hours or
more). Mag-end electric starts and big heavy 3-blade props reduce that
lifetime a lot, but if you stick to a good 2-blade woodie and the pull
start, a 447 will run for years and years.

If the plane is 400lbs or less, the Rotax 503 is probably the next best
bet for similar reasons.....

If you just have to have a 4-stroke, you're going to have to spend a
good deal more money and deal with a bit more weight. But there are some
good options he

- Jabiru 2200. A local has one of these on his Kolb and he's getting
really good results with it. Very reliable running motor.
- HKS 4-stroke. I have no experience with these.
- Rotax 912. Expeeeeeensiiiiive.... cost as much as my entire plane! But
a very good reliable motor.

LS
N646F
Old November 14th 05, 12:20 AM
Ernest Christley

ls wrote:
tffy wrote:

This is for a hypothetical ultralight design, so just looking for
suggestions here of where to look at... hopefully a 4-stroke, purchase
price doesn't matter much, certification status doesn't matter either.
Long time before overhaul matters A LOT... so, the longer the better.
Is there anything out there in the 80-hp range? How about a motorcycle
engine conversion - how long can those go before needing to be
overhauled?

Thanks!

- Jabiru 2200. A local has one of these on his Kolb and he's getting
really good results with it. Very reliable running motor.
- HKS 4-stroke. I have no experience with these.
- Rotax 912. Expeeeeeensiiiiive.... cost as much as my entire plane! But
a very good reliable motor.

LS
N646F

If you're willing to do some developement work, a single rotary engine
would fit the bill. Peripheal ported, you could make up to 120Hp (if
your willing to turn it that fast). There's some development of
aluminum side housings going on, which will hopefully get the installed
weight into the 150lb range (I think that is the right number.) Oil it
right, and don't let it get to hot and it should last your forever.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make

Towing Roger Fowler Soaring 6 August 11th 05 04:25 AM
making the transition from renter to owner part 1 (long) Journeyman Piloting 0 April 13th 04 02:40 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
How I got to Oshkosh (long) Doug Owning 2 August 18th 03 12:05 AM