Convert from Avgas to Jet-A Lindbergh Foundation Winner.

Old July 26th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Convert from Avgas to Jet-A Lindbergh Foundation Winner.

LINDBERGH FOUNDATION GRANT GOES TO ENGINE INNOVATOR
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734)
Pilots of older aircraft worry about the future availability of 100LL
avgas, and environmentalists are not happy with the ecological impact
of leaded fuel. To satisfy both concerns, inventor Tom Ehresman of
Colorado is working on an engine modification that would allow
avgas-burning engines to convert to diesel or Jet-A. That is just the
kind of innovation the Lindbergh Foundation seeks to support -- new
aviation technology that preserves the health of our natural
environment. The grant of $10,580 reflects the amount that Charles
Lindbergh spent to build the Spirit of St. Louis. Ehresman hopes the
award will help to attract more investors, and if he has the financial
support, he could have a working prototype in two or three years. The
retrofit kit could go to market for about $6,000 or so, he estimated.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734
Old July 26th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 26, 10:33 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
LINDBERGH FOUNDATION GRANT GOES TO ENGINE INNOVATOR
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734)
Pilots of older aircraft worry about the future availability of 100LL
avgas,

Man this guy doesn't know much about aviation. New planes use 100LL
too.

-robert

Old July 26th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:03:23 -0000, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in
. com:

On Jul 26, 10:33 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
LINDBERGH FOUNDATION GRANT GOES TO ENGINE INNOVATOR
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734)
Pilots of older aircraft worry about the future availability of 100LL
avgas,

Man this guy doesn't know much about aviation. New planes use 100LL
too.

True. But the concept seems valid for piston aircraft.

What bothers me, is the potential for additional strain on the engine
when converted to diesel operation.
Old July 26th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:03:23 -0000, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in
. com:

On Jul 26, 10:33 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
LINDBERGH FOUNDATION GRANT GOES TO ENGINE INNOVATOR
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734)
Pilots of older aircraft worry about the future availability of 100LL
avgas,

Man this guy doesn't know much about aviation. New planes use 100LL
too.

True. But the concept seems valid for piston aircraft.

What bothers me, is the potential for additional strain on the engine
when converted to diesel operation.

As it should for anyone contemplating doing it.

Wasn't it GM a couple of decades back that had the big fiasco of blown
engines when they tried to convert their existing gas engines to diesel?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 26th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

(
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#195734)
Pilots of older aircraft worry about the future availability of 100LL
avgas,
Man this guy doesn't know much about aviation. New planes use 100LL
too.

True. But the concept seems valid for piston aircraft.

What bothers me, is the potential for additional strain on the engine
when converted to diesel operation.

As it should for anyone contemplating doing it.

Wasn't it GM a couple of decades back that had the big fiasco of blown
engines when they tried to convert their existing gas engines to diesel?

The Olds 350.

To the best of my knowledge, *every* auto
manufacturer that tried a simple gas to
diesel conversion failed the first iteration
and ****ed off a bunch of customers. My
own personal experience centered around the
VW Rabbit diesel.

In all fairness, both Olds and VW both got
it right after a couple of years.

Old July 26th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Stewart wrote:
wrote:
Larry Dighera wrote:
[...]

Yeah, after redesigning the engines as diesels.

The experience has been that everyone that tries to convert a gas
engine to diesel winds up with a blown engine.

If you start with a diesel design you have a working engine.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.