I've had it.

Old June 6th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bob Gardner

Default I've had it.

I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the temptation.
The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless. There is very little "meat"
in the postings...sushidot is about the only poster interested in learning
anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang out in the AOPA Forum, Pilots
of America, and Purple boards.

Bob Gardner

Old June 6th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bob Gardner wrote:
I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the
temptation. The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless. There is
very little "meat" in the postings...sushidot is about the only poster
interested in learning anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang out
in the AOPA Forum, Pilots of America, and Purple boards.

Bob Gardner

Bob;
I'm registering today on Pilots of America and I'll hit the AOPA forum
as well.
Hope to see you there.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 6th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

"Bob Gardner" wrote:
I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the
temptation. The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless. There is
very little "meat" in the postings...sushidot is about the only poster
interested in learning anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang
out in the AOPA Forum, Pilots of America, and Purple boards.

If you're still reading any of this, what are the Purple boards?
Old June 6th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_5_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:

Bob;
I'm registering today on Pilots of America and I'll hit the AOPA forum
as well. Hope to see you there.

I registered on one today and am already registered on the other, but,
it's a shame it has to be that way. Seems like a two or three years ago
this was a very productive and informative forum. Usenet has pretty
much become an anarchic wasteland. I suppose any public forum will
eventually decay into that sort of thing eventually.

-c

Old June 6th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blueskies

"gatt" wrote in message ...
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:

Bob;
I'm registering today on Pilots of America and I'll hit the AOPA forum
as well. Hope to see you there.

I registered on one today and am already registered on the other, but,
it's a shame it has to be that way. Seems like a two or three years ago
this was a very productive and informative forum. Usenet has pretty
much become an anarchic wasteland. I suppose any public forum will
eventually decay into that sort of thing eventually.

-c

That is the reason for Web 2.0...
Old June 6th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

Bob Gardner wrote:
I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the temptation.
The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless. There is very little
"meat" in the postings...sushidot is about the only poster interested in
learning anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang out in the AOPA
Forum, Pilots of America, and Purple boards.

That's a little unfair, I'm here to learn as are many other people. I think
there are many pilots here wanting to teach, discuss, and learn, but people
insist on feeding the trolls and going off on tangents, both which dilute
the good information with noise. Also, there are many folks out there that
never post, but read the posts to learn - you never hear of many of these
pilots. I do see your point though.

Hilton

Old June 6th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Hilton wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:
I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the temptation.
The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless. There is very little
"meat" in the postings...sushidot is about the only poster interested in
learning anything. If anyone is looking for me, I hang out in the AOPA
Forum, Pilots of America, and Purple boards.

That's a little unfair, I'm here to learn as are many other people. I think
there are many pilots here wanting to teach, discuss, and learn, but people
insist on feeding the trolls and going off on tangents, both which dilute
the good information with noise. Also, there are many folks out there that
never post, but read the posts to learn - you never hear of many of these
pilots. I do see your point though.

Hilton

I have to admit it Hilton. I agree with Bob. The pain is getting to be
more than the gain. I'm still posting here, but I'm not at all as
enthusiastic about it as I once was.
To tell you the honest truth, my back channel email with pilots is now
much broader than any participation I have on Usenet.
No big deal one way or the other but let's just say it "ain't no fun any
more :-)))"

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 6th 08, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:13:59 -0400, "Blueskies"
wrote:

That is the reason for Web 2.0...

Usenet isn't the Web.
Old June 6th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:54:54 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

I have to admit it Hilton. I agree with Bob. The pain is getting to be
more than the gain. I'm still posting here, but I'm not at all as
enthusiastic about it as I once was.

I "mark all read", without reading anything, much more than I would
like to. 99% of the messages are two feuding pedantics and one simmer
with issues.

The sad part is that I *like* unmoderated forums, and prefer
newsreaders over web forums. Many web forums use software that is
such a pain to follow, I never go back more than a few times.
Old June 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
gatt[_5_]

Hilton wrote:
Bob Gardner wrote:

I hate cross-posting, but just this once I will give in to the temptation.
The rec.aviation newsgroups have become useless.

That's a little unfair, I'm here to learn as are many other people. I think
there are many pilots here wanting to teach, discuss, and learn, but people
insist on feeding the trolls and going off on tangents, both which dilute
the good information with noise.

Yeah. I suppose Bob has already left the building, but, you're right.
Right now I'm taking a break from writing CFI lesson plans, and all over
my desk I have the sources I've been using and referencing:

1. Aviation Instructor's Handbook, FAA-8083-9
2. Airplane Flying Handbook, FAA-8083-3A
3. ASA CFI Test Prep
4. 2008 FAR/AIM
5. Sporty's Training Course Outline
6. "The Flight Instructor's Manual" by William Kershner and
7. "Say Again Please - Guide to Radio Communications by Bob Gardner.

I've been thinking about punching out of r.a groups too because they've
become the new urban CB radio. That's my choice, but, it's a real
damned shame that the sheer volume juvenile behavior on this forum has
driven off yet another respected and recommended aviation expert, from
whom many of us have gained or could gain knowledge and proficiency.

I'm disappointed and disgusted. Any one of his posts might be more
useful to general aviation and pilots than the last four or five
thousand name-calling flamefest posts out here by a handful of people
who have sullied the forum's usefulness. It's one thing to have
flamewar or argument threads that people can choose to ignore, but when
the bickering inevitably spills over to every single discussion in the
forum, then the flame has spread from the fireplace to the whole house
and it can no longer serve its purpose. There are plenty of other forums
for yelling and insulting and acting like babies. Let's leave the fire
in the fireplace and the turds in the toilet and try to reserve this
forum for the discussion of aviation.

-C. Gattman
CP-ASEL-IA-AGI - CFI Candidate - Sim Geek - Student Pilot