Excellent TV Piece on GA

Old November 21st 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Excellent TV Piece on GA

http://www.kgan.com/csArticles/artic...055/005537.htm

Amazing! This Cedar Rapids, Iowa TV station did a 2-part piece on
learning to fly -- and did a wonderful job!

The CFI in both segments, Tim Bush, is outstanding. He's a real
pistol, locally, with a zillion ideas for growing GA, and endless
energy to boot.

If only we could get more publicity like this....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 22nd 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

http://www.kgan.com/csArticles/artic...055/005537.htm

Amazing! This Cedar Rapids, Iowa TV station did a 2-part piece on
learning to fly -- and did a wonderful job!

The CFI in both segments, Tim Bush, is outstanding. He's a real
pistol, locally, with a zillion ideas for growing GA, and endless
energy to boot.

If only we could get more publicity like this....

I think the six-thousand-dollar part is where a lot of viewers will stop
listening. I can't find Part I but the medical part would also lose a fair
number of viewers.

If it were as difficult to drive as it is to fly, cars would be so rare that
they'd turn heads as they passed (and people would be trying to forbid them to
escape the noise).

Conversely, if it were as easy to fly as it is to drive, the landscape would
be littered with the wreckage of planes and cadavers, but the aircraft would
only cost $15,000 or so, and new models would come out every year, rendering
the old ones obsolete.
Old November 22nd 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I think the six-thousand-dollar part is where a lot of viewers will stop
listening. I can't find Part I but the medical part would also lose a fair
number of viewers.

$6K is what a cheap used car costs around here. It's also the price
of a single semester at our public university, which has 30,000
students. Clearly, money is not the over-riding issue keeping more
people out of the cockpit.

The medical requirement is, quite frankly, a joke. The doc checks
your eyes, your heart, makes sure you can carry on a conversation, and
takes your check. Heck, you don't even have to "turn your head and
cough" to get signed off for a 3rd class medical.

If it were as difficult to drive as it is to fly, cars would be so rare that
they'd turn heads as they passed (and people would be trying to forbid them to
escape the noise).

I wish. Cars can do things that planes can't. Further, personal cars
do more necessary things than personal planes can do. I own both --
and I drive a heckuva lot more than I fly, for the reasons I've
stated. Trust me -- if planes *could* substitute for cars, I'd fly
every day.

Conversely, if it were as easy to fly as it is to drive, the landscape would
be littered with the wreckage of planes and cadavers, but the aircraft would
only cost $15,000 or so, and new models would come out every year, rendering
the old ones obsolete.

Two things keep more people from flying: Ignorance and fear.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 22nd 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jay Honeck writes:

$6K is what a cheap used car costs around here. It's also the price
of a single semester at our public university, which has 30,000
students. Clearly, money is not the over-riding issue keeping more
people out of the cockpit.

For a lot of people, $6000 is a great deal of money.

The medical requirement is, quite frankly, a joke. The doc checks
your eyes, your heart, makes sure you can carry on a conversation, and
takes your check. Heck, you don't even have to "turn your head and
cough" to get signed off for a 3rd class medical.

Then why doesn't the FAA eliminate it? I'm sure there are many people with
minor but disqualifying conditions who would disagree with you, as well as
airline captains who have been forced into an early change of career.

Two things keep more people from flying: Ignorance and fear.

As well as a lack of money and/or robust health (as the FAA would define it).
Old November 22nd 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung

On Nov 21, 11:04 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jay Honeck writes:
$6K is what a cheap used car costs around here. It's also the price
of a single semester at our public university, which has 30,000
students. Clearly, money is not the over-riding issue keeping more
people out of the cockpit.

For a lot of people, $6000 is a great deal of money.

In France perhaps, but in the US even people on welfare drive $10-20k
cars.

The medical requirement is, quite frankly, a joke. The doc checks
your eyes, your heart, makes sure you can carry on a conversation, and
takes your check. Heck, you don't even have to "turn your head and
cough" to get signed off for a 3rd class medical.

Then why doesn't the FAA eliminate it? I'm sure there are many people with
minor but disqualifying conditions who would disagree with you, as well as
airline captains who have been forced into an early change of career.

No need to eliminate it, if you are physically able to drive a car,
you are physically able to fly a plane as a private pilot. The FEW
who are disqualified can apply for a variance or a waiver, if they are
deemed safe to fly, they will be permitted to fly. Professional
pilots are held to higher standards, and rightly so, as far as
physical capabilities are concerned.

Two things keep more people from flying: Ignorance and fear.

As well as a lack of money and/or robust health (as the FAA would define it).

See my answers above. Jay is correct ignorance and fear are the ONLY
reasons people aren't flying. Anyone can walk up to an FBO with a
$100 and be airborne and flying within 15 minutes. The $6,000 figure
is to get you thru your entire PPL training. Just think of it as a
'pay-as-you-fly' plan, no one said you have to have $6,000 up front
but that'd help.

I've refrained from responding to you until now because you just don't
seem to be able to comprehend or appreciate the answers when people
make a sincere and honest attempt to respond to you. You really
should give flying a try; you might really enjoy flying up in the open
air. I guaranty you it is a world of difference from flying on a
computer.

William Hung

Old November 22nd 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

See my answers above. Jay is correct ignorance and fear are the ONLY
reasons people aren't flying. Anyone can walk up to an FBO with a

I doubt these are the only reasons. The return on investment is what
ultimately matters and is perceived differently by different people
when it comes to investing $6000. Just as I don't have any
particularly strong interest in learning to rock climb, I can imagine
there are those who view flying with a similar apathy. In the end it
would be hard to make the case that the PPL has a greater practical
utility than say, learning to ride a horse. PPL flying is a niche
hobby, and its hard to imagine that would change anytime soon.
Old November 22nd 07, 06:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

..

I think the six-thousand-dollar part is where a lot of viewers will
stop listening. I can't find Part I but the medical part would also
lose a fair number of viewers.

If it were as difficult to drive as it is to fly, cars would be so
rare that they'd turn heads as they passed (and people would be trying
to forbid them to escape the noise).

Conversely, if it were as easy to fly as it is to drive, the landscape
would be littered with the wreckage of planes and cadavers, but the
aircraft would only cost $15,000 or so, and new models would come out
every year, rendering the old ones obsolete.

You're an idiot.

Bertie
Old November 22nd 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jay Honeck writes:

[...]

And being an idiot.

Bertie

Old November 22nd 07, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Excellent TV Piece onee GA

"William Hung" wrote

No need to eliminate it, if you are physically able to drive a car,
you are physically able to fly a plane as a private pilot. The FEW
who are disqualified can apply for a variance or a waiver, if they are
deemed safe to fly, they will be permitted to fly.

Say WHAT???

Variance? ? ? WAIVER ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Bwaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha haw! ! !
--
Jim in NC

Old November 22nd 07, 11:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Jay Honeck wrote:

The medical requirement is, quite frankly, a joke. The doc checks
your eyes, your heart, makes sure you can carry on a conversation, and
takes your check. Heck, you don't even have to "turn your head and
cough" to get signed off for a 3rd class medical.

Uhh.. my doc does a real thorough job when I get my 2nd class medical.
Blood pressure, temperature, height and weight, urine sample, felt all
over (literally) and yes, I even have to cough. I would not classify it
as a joke, I would call it a very thorough flight physical.