AOPA or Golden Eagle... or what?

Old February 27th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

Default AOPA or Golden Eagle... or what?

I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

--
Dallas
Old February 27th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 27, 12:46 pm, Dallas wrote:
I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

--
Dallas

AOPA is free with membership.

I usually plan the flight with AOPA, then log onto DUATS to enter an
IFR flight plan.

The AOPA app doesn't let me directly edit fuel on board, # on board,
etc.

Dan
Old February 27th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 27, 9:46*am, Dallas wrote:
I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. *I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

I'm always amazed at how bad flight planning software is with regard
to easy to use, good visuals etc. I use FlightSoft. Its suppose to
superimpose sectional charts but I've never gotten that part to work.
It does do a good job of putting real time weather on your route
though. Lets you know where the big radar returns are etc.

-robert
Old February 27th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 27, 1:15 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

I'm always amazed at how bad flight planning software is with regard
to easy to use, good visuals etc. I use FlightSoft. Its suppose to
superimpose sectional charts but I've never gotten that part to work.
It does do a good job of putting real time weather on your route
though. Lets you know where the big radar returns are etc.

-robert

By the time I finsih up with the computer, drive to the airport,
preheat, fuel, yada yada the wx info I saw online has changed.

XM weather has provided the biggest boost to situational awareness
since plexiglas.

Dan

Old February 27th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dallas wrote:

I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

Which one is better is a lot like asking which is better, Coke or Pepsi.

I use GoldenEagle after trying the AOPA one. I do subscribe to some of
the charts, which if you have a color printer are handy in that you can
print out your route in pages instead of screwing around folding the
real sectional/TAC.

What I would suggest is that you just try it for a while and see which
one works best for you.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old February 27th 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

This may not be the same but I use Weathermeister.com

I don't file flight plans (use flight following).

Ron Lee
Old February 27th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dallas wrote:

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

I find the AOPA planner is easy to use and excellent for basic planning,
and the price is right.

I do my filing and final estimates (the planner printout that goes with
me) on DUATS. I have yet to find an airport where I couldn't access DUATS.

I make up a kneeboard information pack with the DUATS flight planner
output, AOPA airport info (FBO info, etc...), and approach plates and
airort diagram, if available. The planner goes on top, then the plates,
then the diagrams, then the AOPA airport info. At the bottom is anything
related to an alternate destination. I write my clearances and fuel log
right on the flight planner page. With the addition of the appropriate
chart, there's nothing more I need while flying.

I've never seen the need to print and carry weather data, but I do write
the current conditions, NOTAMS, TFR's, and winds aloft info on the back
of my planner printout.
Old February 27th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

wrote in message
On Feb 27, 12:46 pm, Dallas wrote:
I've been using AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner, but CSC DUATS
GoldenEagle
FlightPrep looks more comprehensive. I'd like to know which one is
better
and I'm also wondering what else might be out there that I don't know
about.

My question is, what flight planning software do you use?

--
Dallas

AOPA is free with membership.

I usually plan the flight with AOPA, then log onto DUATS to enter an
IFR flight plan.

The AOPA app doesn't let me directly edit fuel on board, # on board,
etc.

Dan

I also use the AOPA Real time flight planner and have no problem editing the
flight plan. Do you have their latest version? Under the "Weather" tab
click on "File FAA flight plan", it gives you a flight plan form you can
change any of the fields on.

--

*H. Allen Smith*
WACO - We are all here, because we are not all there.

Old February 27th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 27, 10:19*am, " wrote:
On Feb 27, 1:15 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

By the time I finsih up with the computer, drive to the airport,
preheat, fuel, yada yada the wx info I saw online has changed.

XM weather has provided the biggest boost to situational awareness
since plexiglas.

Well, I drive a Mooney so I'm looking at what states the storms are
in. If I have to fly clear around Idaho its not a big deal. I could
see if you're driving a 172 the wx picture changes "faster" simply
because your rerouting is much smaller.

-Robert