C-182's to avoid?

Old November 15th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Default C-182's to avoid?

IMHO it's a dicey time to be buying any big-bore, fuel-injected, 200+
horsepower airplane. With 100 LL on its way out

I've been hearing that for 15 years. It's no more true today than back
then.

I hope you're right. However, the "80/20" rule of 100 LL use is
starting to really hurt us. 80% of 100 LL has traditionally been used
by 20% of the market, meaning the big-bore piston twins. With Cessna
421s and Navajos being replaced more and more with Jet-A-swilling
turbine-powered King Airs in the charter world, that 80% of the market
is disappearing.

When it's only guys like you and me buying 100 LL, it *will* go away.
Every industry source I can find points to its demise, sooner than
later. (There are already FBOs reporting difficulty obtaining
supplies.)

As for alcohol in mogas, there will always be boaters, snowmobilers
and custom car guys who can't use the stuff -- which means we'll
always have alcohol-free mogas. It just won't be as easy and
convenient (or as cheap) as it is now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old November 15th 07, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

100LL is a high profit, low volume, boutique item for the refiners...
As long as they can make their hefty profit per gallon it will be
available... Whether you will buy it at that price is a separate
issue...

denny
Old November 15th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
As for alcohol in mogas, there will always be boaters, snowmobilers
and custom car guys who can't use the stuff -- which means we'll
always have alcohol-free mogas. It just won't be as easy and
convenient (or as cheap) as it is now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

About the only way to find true gasoline around here is to go to a marina...maybe I need to put floats on the 172!

Old November 15th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

As for alcohol in mogas, there will always be boaters, snowmobilers
and custom car guys who can't use the stuff -- which means we'll
always have alcohol-free mogas. It just won't be as easy and
convenient (or as cheap) as it is now.
--

I have a boat, a 20 foot speed boat with a Chevy 5.7L. I wouldn't care
if the gas had alcohol, can't imagine why I would. I'm not aware of any
Old November 16th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Jay Honeck wrote:

When it's only guys like you and me buying 100 LL, it *will* go away.
Every industry source I can find points to its demise, sooner than
later. (There are already FBOs reporting difficulty obtaining
supplies.)

And that's really what the Feds want... after all... the FET tax
is higher for JET-A than for 100LL.

JET-A used to be significantly lower in cost than AVGAS but of
late the price has gone up to where there isn't really a lot of
difference in price between it and 100LL. Federal taxes are
higher on JET and that's what government likes so eventually
having everyone be a slave to JET-A creates a nice warm fuzzy
environment.

Eliminate choices... force everyone into a single fuel then
when they do... sock it to 'em. We lose they win.

Old November 16th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
kontiki

Denny wrote:
100LL is a high profit, low volume, boutique item for the refiners...
As long as they can make their hefty profit per gallon it will be
available... Whether you will buy it at that price is a separate
issue...

denny

Then move to JET-A... that's a bigger profit for government. Plus
you'll spend a _lot_ more $$$ for an airplane that can burn it.

You can pay me now or you can pay me later.

Old November 17th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

"kontiki" wrote in message ...
Jay Honeck wrote:

When it's only guys like you and me buying 100 LL, it *will* go away.
Every industry source I can find points to its demise, sooner than
later. (There are already FBOs reporting difficulty obtaining
supplies.)

And that's really what the Feds want... after all... the FET tax
is higher for JET-A than for 100LL.

JET-A used to be significantly lower in cost than AVGAS but of
late the price has gone up to where there isn't really a lot of
difference in price between it and 100LL. Federal taxes are
higher on JET and that's what government likes so eventually
having everyone be a slave to JET-A creates a nice warm fuzzy
environment.

Eliminate choices... force everyone into a single fuel then
when they do... sock it to 'em. We lose they win.

We bought a diesel truck a number of years ago when the price of diesel was pretty low. Not long after, diesel prices
soared and surpassed 'gasoline' prices. We recently got rid of the old truck and went back to gas powered, and
remarkably the price of diesel is still about the same as 'gasoline', so maybe they haven't figured out we sold the
truck yet ;-)

Old November 17th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt W. Barrow

"kontiki" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

When it's only guys like you and me buying 100 LL, it *will* go away.
Every industry source I can find points to its demise, sooner than
later. (There are already FBOs reporting difficulty obtaining
supplies.)

And that's really what the Feds want... after all... the FET tax
is higher for JET-A than for 100LL.

JET-A used to be significantly lower in cost than AVGAS but of
late the price has gone up to where there isn't really a lot of
difference in price between it and 100LL. Federal taxes are
higher on JET and that's what government likes so eventually
having everyone be a slave to JET-A creates a nice warm fuzzy
environment.

Eliminate choices... force everyone into a single fuel then
when they do... sock it to 'em. We lose they win.

And that would do the proverbial "Kill the goose that laid the golden egg".

The 100LL burners are only going to be replaced piecemeal, and over ten or
more years at that. In the interim, the feds lose whatever revenue they
would have garnered.

You must realize that revenue to the feds is like heroin to an addict --
they WANT IT NOW!!!

See & Avoid Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 27 August 2nd 07 01:27 PM
See and avoid... Ramy Soaring 22 January 30th 07 09:18 PM
See and Avoid applies to both IFR and VFR Brad Z Piloting 14 July 17th 04 05:48 AM
Avoid CSA website F.L. Whiteley Soaring 2 June 23rd 04 10:21 PM
See and avoid Kees Mies Piloting 39 March 22nd 04 08:31 PM