Tiny vacuum pump

Old January 16th 04, 05:53 PM
Ron Natalie

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message ...

Jim Weir wrote:

Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

Go to http://www.sportsmansguide.com and enter item number WX2-70392 in the
search window. You should see a window for a air mattress pump that runs on four
D-cells. It has three inflator fittings which are attached to a lanyard.

I found a similar device at the WAL*MART made by Coleman. It has a internal
rechargeable battery.
Old January 16th 04, 06:05 PM
Jim Weir

That's how I seal food bags for freezing. Tellya what, put a little light
machine oil in a bag and try sealing it with a straw. Damn near choked me to
death.

Jim

"Gig Giacona"

-How many are you doing? A drinking straw and your lungs will do a bang up
-job with a zip-lock bag

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 16th 04, 06:38 PM
Gig Giacona

Sealing food bags is where I came up with the idea. I did that until my wife
reached her tolerance level and went out and bought one of the vac/sealer
thingies.

news

Old January 16th 04, 08:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jim Weir wrote:

Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

Go to http://www.sportsmansguide.com and enter item number WX2-70392 in the
search window. You should see a window for a air mattress pump that runs on four
D-cells. It has three inflator fittings which are attached to a lanyard.

I have one of these pumps. The fittings will fit on either the air intake or the
outflow; the idea is that you can use the pump to deflate your mattress when you're
ready to leave Oshkosh. It should work very well for your project, and the price
is right.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 16th 04, 10:19 PM
Rich S.

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
news
That's how I seal food bags for freezing. Tellya what, put a little light
machine oil in a bag and try sealing it with a straw. Damn near choked me

death.

When I bag salmon for the freezer, I fill the small kitchen sink with water,
then submerge the bag in the water up to the lip. A quick zip and the bag is
closed. Not a big enough bubble left for a compass. You could use a
Tupperware container instead of the sink.

Rich S.

Old January 16th 04, 10:52 PM
Blueskies

The foodsaver thing we have has a fitting for a small hose that you can hook up to whatever you want - would be just
right for what you are doing...

--
Dan D.

..
"Jim Weir" wrote in message ...
Because Foodsaver requires you to use their special bags. Besides being WAY
overpriced, the bags ain't cheap either. Yeah I knew about pump'n'seal, but
that seems to be a kluge way of doing it. I was looking for elegant.

Jim

"Ron Natalie"

-
-Why don't you just get a foodsaver? (www.foodsaver.com). It will do the
-vacuum pack as well as sealing the bag (and you can make arbitrary sized bag
-as long as it's narrower than the roll of "bag stock." I've got one in the
kitchen.
-
-If that's too pricey for you, then there's always this one $14.94, not sold in
stores....
-
-http://www.pump-n-seal.com/

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old January 17th 04, 07:12 AM
Holger Stephan

Anybody mentioned a refrigerator compressor? I used it to vacuum bagging
composites. You shouldn't drain the fluid from a filled system (ozon
killer) but if you get one from a bone yard that is already drained it
would make a low noise, low cost solution.

- Holger

Old January 17th 04, 08:07 AM
David Pincus

Does anybody have an idea on how to make a tiny little vacuum pump on the order
of an aquarium pump or so that will draw just a few inches of water? Preferably
110, but I can rig up a 12 volt supply if necessary.

The reason I say this is that I'm getting ready to pack a fairly large number of
bags with used but serviceable engine parts (valves, pistons, etc.) and I'd like
to put each part in a "baggie" (sandwich bag or equivalent) along with a little
preservative oil, and then suck the baggie down with a football needle stuck
into the top closing mechanism just before sealing.

Thoughts?

Jim Weir

-Ben Jackson wrote:
-You just need a surplus dental spit sucker. Perfect for removing air
-from the corner of a plastic bag.

PERFECT. Where do I find one? Are there boneyards for dental equipment?

Jim

Jim,

What you want is a Gomco. They make most all the dental/medical suction
equipment. Any of them will consist of the vacuum pump and a glass bell
jar to pull the fluid into. We used these in our portable dental clinics
in the Army.

I did a quick search on Google for "gomco suction used" and the first
hit was for a used machine for $109:
http://websites.medmatrix.com/detail.CFM?LineItemID=630.
The whole list is at:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...o+suction+used

There is another solution to your problem. You said it yourself,
baggies, but not the old kind. They make new ones with a plastic zipper
and they seal absolutely air and water tight, and you can get them in
any size up to 3 ft in size, what are called "game bags" for deer meat,
etc. for your larger engine parts.

With whatever size you put in your part, as much preservative oil as you
want, seal it up, shake the bag to coat the part, then vent the zipper a
bit and flatten the bag out as much as possible and zip the last bit
shut. What little oxygen is in there shouldn't harm your oil-coated
parts. If you really want to got all the O2 out, rent a tank of CO2 or
Nitrogen and crack the valve just enough to blow low-pressure gas into
the bag as you seal it to drive out any room air. Then whatever air is
left inside is inert.

Regards,

David Pincus, DDS
Major, USAR (RET)
Old January 17th 04, 09:30 AM
Mark Mallory

mikem wrote:

My wife bought a vacuum bagging freezer food storage system. It sucks

Mike: ask Ron Jones about how we made a vacuum pump out of an old Briggs and
Stratton lawnmower engine (we were trying to make our own freeze-dried food...)

Probably not the most time/cost-effective solution, but we sure had fun!

Mark/C182L

Old January 17th 04, 10:56 AM

Take the brake system vacuum pump from the back of the alternator on almost
any diesel light truck, 4wd, etc. For the level you are looking for you
could probably hand crank it with a lawn mower zip starter and use it's
return spring to set it for the next pull.

Depends on how green you want to be, you're both recycling and people
powering it!
;)
Bushy

Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 05:17 PM
Windmilling Prop & Vacuum Pump Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 14 October 14th 04 08:08 PM
Remove oil seal from vacuum pump adapter on Lycoming IO320 HOW????? Ron Home Built 2 February 24th 04 04:34 PM
Tiny vacuum pump Jim Weir Home Built 41 January 24th 04 05:42 AM
Battery and Vacuum pump PaulaJay1 Owning 3 January 16th 04 04:22 PM