Anyone wrapped their yokes in leather?

Old March 2nd 04, 06:55 PM
Jay Honeck

I have those expensive leather yoke covers (Warren Gregoire?) on my
Cherokee. They attach with velcro. The trick is to attach them
tightly, then let them stretch for a few days. Then, you just re-snug
the velcro. The second time does the trick. Mine have conformed
themselves to the bumps and bends on the yoke and do not move around
at all.

Hey John -- do you have a picture of your yoke cover(s)?

Are those the kind that cover only the upright rams-horn handle portion, or
do they cover the whole yoke?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 3rd 04, 12:19 AM
John Galban

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:hM41c.28383$PR3.505762@attbi_s03...

Hey John -- do you have a picture of your yoke cover(s)?

Are those the kind that cover only the upright rams-horn handle portion, or
do they cover the whole yoke?

Sorry, I have no pic. They cover from the upright part of the
rams-horn, down to the badge in the center of the yoke. Velcro joins
on the outside of the upright part of the yoke, and the bottom side of
the horizontal part. See the before/after pics from the manufacturer
here :

http://www.warrengregoire.com/aviati...yokecovers.htm

Scroll down to the Piper Rams Horn.

They used glue to attach the velcro to the leather cover. In my
case, their glue couldn't stand up to the ramp temps during a PHX
summer, so I had to re-glue them with a high-temp epoxy. They really
should sew the velcro on. Now that they're on, I really like the
covers (very soft lambskin), but I don't think I'd pay $120/yoke for
them. I got them as a present.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old March 3rd 04, 12:42 AM
Doug

I remember seeing steering wheel "leather wrap kits" at auto parts
stores. Maybe one of those would work.
Old March 3rd 04, 02:59 PM
Jay Honeck

They used glue to attach the velcro to the leather cover. In my
case, their glue couldn't stand up to the ramp temps during a PHX
summer, so I had to re-glue them with a high-temp epoxy. They really
should sew the velcro on. Now that they're on, I really like the
covers (very soft lambskin), but I don't think I'd pay $120/yoke for
them. I got them as a present.

$120 per YOKE? That's insane.

Especially when you see that they don't cover the whole yoke, but just where
your hands rest. I like the way they did the Aerostar yokes, where they're
covered completely in leather.

Oh well, I've got lots of leather to play with. I just wish I had a yoke to
take home and work on!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA