Big Kahunas

Old November 28th 03, 08:27 PM
Peter Duniho

"Matthew P. Cummings" wrote in message
news
[...]
So here's a short guide for you. [snip]

Or better yet, he could quit *starting* threads with topics that have
nothing to do with aviation.

Yes, I'm just as much to blame, for responding. But I'm not the one
volunteering out of the blue to post PR propoganda. I'm just pointing out
that it's PR propoganda.

Pete

Old November 28th 03, 09:19 PM
Blanche

I was impressed by the flight crew. True, they have radar altimeters
and all sorts of other goodies, but those were the folks with the
"cojones" to fly there in the biggest target around.

Old November 29th 03, 02:01 AM
Wdtabor

No man it's cojones, I can't make the connection why you think flying into
Iraq means he has big cojones. Big cojones would have meant announcing to
the
world that you were spending Thanksgiving with the troops in Iraq. Flying in
for 2 hours, unannounced, is not an act of bravery. It's really just a
political stunt. Apparently it's working.

Announcing the visit would have almost certainly drawn an attack either by
terrorists or by mortars or rockets, more likely killing others there to
celebrate than Bush himself. Endangering others to show off would not have been
brave, it would have been reckless and stupid.

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old November 29th 03, 02:04 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2003-11-28 11:10:53 -0800, "R. Hubbell" said:

Big cojones would have meant announcing to the
world that you were spending Thanksgiving with the troops in Iraq. Flying in
for 2 hours, unannounced, is not an act of bravery. It's really just a
political stunt.

He may or may not care what kind if boost it gives him at home. The boost it gave to the troops in Iraq, though, was likely significant. That's probably even more important.

And regardless of the size of anyone's cojones, announcing the world that he was going to be in Iraq would have been beyond brave. It would have been suicidal, especially had he ventured out in public. Regardless of what you think of the man's politics, you can't believe he's that stupid.

Old November 29th 03, 04:18 PM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Say what you will about GW

Thanks, I guess I will.

The whole thing was just Bush II playing boy-soldier again. And, I'm
sure he is genuinely concerned about the morale of troops in Iraq,
seeing as how many have been picked off after he declared the war
over. And how many have been killed after he invited the Iraqi
radicals to "bring 'em on".
Old November 29th 03, 09:14 PM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Bob Fry wrote:

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Say what you will about GW

Thanks, I guess I will.

The whole thing was just Bush II playing boy-soldier again. And, I'm
sure he is genuinely concerned about the morale of troops in Iraq,
seeing as how many have been picked off after he declared the war
over. And how many have been killed after he invited the Iraqi
radicals to "bring 'em on".

Iraq would still act as a magnet for Islamic radicals, even if Bush
weren't there. It is relatively easy for them to get there, as they have
fellow Arabs to aid them.

IMHO, it is better to have them in Iraq than in the US.
Old November 29th 03, 10:24 PM
R. Hubbell

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:04:59 GMT

On 2003-11-28 11:10:53 -0800, "R. Hubbell" said:

Big cojones would have meant announcing to the
world that you were spending Thanksgiving with the troops in Iraq. Flying in
for 2 hours, unannounced, is not an act of bravery. It's really just a
political stunt.

He may or may not care what kind if boost it gives him at home. The boost it gave to the troops in Iraq, though, was likely significant. That's probably even more important.

Now you can't believe that he doesn't care about the political boost?
Improving moral was just a small part. But if I was there it wouldn't have
done much for my moral. Think about it. He comes in secretly, stays for
two-three hours and then he's gone. For me, if I was a soldier there, I
would be reminded of how dangerous a place Bush had made it into.

And regardless of the size of anyone's cojones, announcing the world that he was going to be in Iraq would have been beyond brave. It would have been suicidal, especially had he ventured out in public. Regardless of what you think of the man's politics, you can't believe he's that stupid.

Being there at all put the troops in danger and annoncing it would have been stupid, I'll
agree wiuth all that.

R. Hubbell
Old November 29th 03, 11:38 PM
Dan Luke

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote:
Iraq would still act as a magnet for Islamic radicals, even if
Bush weren't there. It is relatively easy for them to get there,
as they have fellow Arabs to aid them.

IMHO, it is better to have them in Iraq than in the US.

But they won't stay. Before Bush's Folly, Saddam had our real enemies,
the radical Islamists, under his thumb. He hated them and the feeling
was mutual. Now, Iraq is a wide-open recruitment and operations
wonderland for terrorists, awash with weapons for their use. We are
immeasurably less secure than we were before Bush and his full-moon
gazing, true-believer, neocon advisors launched this stupid war.

And the Thanksgiving trip?...a shrewd electioneering stunt. If Bush is
master of anything, it is the photo opp.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old November 30th 03, 02:44 AM
Jay Honeck

that would qualify as an understatement.

Sorry, Bob. Didn't mean to blow up atcha...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA