flight bags

Old May 5th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default flight bags

I have reached the point were I want to upgrade from my initial student
flight bag. It is one of the Jeppeson ones you get free with the private
pilot material purchase. It basically has a few outside pockets and a big
interior chamber with no dividers.

Anyone have any good or bad recommendations?

I basically like to carry 8 or so maps, 2 sets of narco approach plate sets,
2 AFDs, a handheld radio, log book, and small kneeboard. I also want a
collection of pens, flashlights, and odds and ends. I also like to have a 8
1/2 by 11 folder for holding papers ( flight plans, notes, etc). I am sure
there are some other things in my bag that I am forgetting now. It would be
nice to carry at least one headset also.

I would like something that had some interior dividers so I could find stuff
faster in flight.

Thanks in advance.

Old May 5th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

In article ,
"soxinbox" wrote:

I have reached the point were I want to upgrade from my initial student
flight bag. [snip]

get a divider or two for your bag (Sporty's has some)

carry less stuff... :-)

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old May 5th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I'll second the advice to "carry less stuff."

I got a backpack bag a long time ago from REI which is almost ideal.
It's got several compartments of different sizes.
Old May 5th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Oddly enough -- I went out and bought "a flight bag" back in the
days when I was a neophyte...I now use it as luggage when I travel
on short trips. And I use my smaller Eagle Creek bag as my flight bag.
It holds

handheld radio
handheld gps
3 pairs of prescription glasses
$5.00 in quarters (little coin purse)
nail file (it's a gender thing...)
emergency whistle, bandaids, chapstick, etc
all the AF/Ds and maps I need

Headset? I've got a beachbag in which I put the 4 headsets if I
need to take them out of the cherokee overnight. Or if it's just
me, I can still put the one headset into the Eagle Creek bag.

It's an older style with pockets on the side (perfect for water
bottle, spare keys, etc), couple of length-wise pockets for
stuff, and an oval zip-open on the top of the bag so it's easy to
get into.

You can find similar at Target, Kmart, etc. Take a sectional with
you to make sure it'll fit in the bag.

Old May 5th 06, 10:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Soxinbox,

www.zuluworks.com has some interesting stuff. If you're into leather or
like backpacks, have a look at Pilotmall.com's line. Also, I think you
can't go wrong with one of the Cencals.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 5th 06, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

soxinbox wrote:

I would like something that had some interior dividers so I could find stuff
faster in flight.

My favorite-ever flight bag is not a flight bag at all:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/37001.aspx

I've had Sporty's bags, etc... My co-owner uses a really gay suitcase
he bought at TJ-Maxx. G

Features of the Duluth bag I like:

- The internal computer sleeve nicely holds file folders, charts,
AF/D's, etc...
- The end pockets nicely hold a 16 oz. water bottle and my Icom handheld.
- The construction is EXCELLENT!
- $35!
- External and inside open pockets good for spare pencils, flashlights,
etc..
- Plenty of internal, zippererd pockets to hold the stuff that doesn't
need to be at your finger tips
- It's small enough to prevent carrying TOO MUCH unnecessary crap.
- It works so well for me, I bought a second to use in my daily business.

I attach my headset case to the handle with a D-ring. Duluth has a 100%
satisfaction guarantee. I have returned the odd item to them with no
hassles.

Good luck in the search, it's a personal thing!
Old May 5th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. com...
My co-owner uses a really gay suitcase he bought at TJ-Maxx. G

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old May 5th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"soxinbox" wrote in message
I have reached the point were I want to upgrade from my initial student
flight bag. It is one of the Jeppeson ones you get free with the private
pilot material purchase. It basically has a few outside pockets and a big
interior chamber with no dividers.

Anyone have any good or bad recommendations?

I basically like to carry 8 or so maps, 2 sets of narco approach plate
sets, 2 AFDs, a handheld radio, log book, and small kneeboard. I also want
a collection of pens, flashlights, and odds and ends. I also like to have
a 8 1/2 by 11 folder for holding papers ( flight plans, notes, etc). I am
sure there are some other things in my bag that I am forgetting now. It
would be nice to carry at least one headset also.

I would like something that had some interior dividers so I could find
stuff faster in flight.

I used to use one of these:
http://dillonprecision.com/template/...KEN=81674 768

or http://tinyurl.com/l9hqy

Old May 5th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

That's a huge advantage you airplane owners have over us poor suckers who
share our planes. I can't leave my headsets in the plane, I can't even
guarantee that there will be adequate pens and a usable checklist. So I
have to carry my entire "office" with me.

That *is* one of the nicest things about owning a plane, I must admit.
Everything, right down to the seat position, is the same as when you
left it. (Well, unless Mary flew last... :-)

I've got a really nice flight bag from Sporty's that's been sitting in
a closet since '98.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA