$640.00 to fill the tanks...

Old August 16th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default $640.00 to fill the tanks...

Jay Honeck wrote:
Tony Snow, "technical advisor" for our aviation video webpage (Tony is
retired RAF, and has forgotten more about aviation than I'll ever
know), confirmed for me today that it would cost $640+ for me to top
off Atlas -- our Cherokee Pathfinder -- in Great Britain.

Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?

Hmmmph.. I guess I can't bitch about a $400 fuel bill to top the Lance
(90 gal)... But of course I still will g

Old August 16th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Imagine! $640 to go fly! This *might* explain why there are only 9
registered Cherokee 235s in all of Britain, no?

So now you know why Thielert was founded.

Right. Of course, in the US, Jet-A (diesel) is just about the same
price, or even a bit higher, than avgas.

Which is, of course, as it should be, without government social
engineering. It's also why Thielert hasn't gained any traction here.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 16th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Pretty sad. But consider also the thousands of Americans that don't own
an airplane ostensibly because they are "saving for their children's
college education". I don't know about the UK specifically but in most
of Europe, if your kids really are smart enough for college, they can
go, and if they aren't they won't be anyway. So let's look at the whole
picture.

We have the same system in California (CSU system). We actually have
another system as well for the not-so-smart kids (the Community College
System).

-Robert

Old August 16th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:
And don't forget all the Americans who cannot afford to fly because of

medical bills.

But, just like Europe, no one in the United States is denied required
medical treatment (Medicaid).

-Robert

Old August 16th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

"David Wright" wrote in message
British Rail is very expensive and

..and no longer exists?

Of course, since privitisation, anyone can buy rolling stock and pay to
run trains on the track infrastructure. So the main train company in the
UK is Virgin Trains, yes - they of the Virgin Atlantic planes fame.

Since privitisation, prices have gone up and punctuality and customer
service have gone down. There are calls to re-nationalise the railways,
and a damn good idea too.

D.

You know, if Sir Richard buys any thing else in the UK they might as well
make him King.

Old August 16th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I beg to differ. I am a product of CSU-San Diego and teach at Sierra
Community College in Rocklin and Grass Valley. The smart ones go to the CCS
to get their lower division classes at $24 a semester unit and, upon
graduation with a B average, a guaranteed slot in either the CSU or UC
system for their upper division and graduate work.

Jim

oups.com...

Old August 16th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

High gas prices make no difference to me. I put the same amount in just
like before...... $100 worth!!!

Old August 16th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Pretty sad. But consider also the thousands of Americans that don't own
an airplane ostensibly because they are "saving for their children's
college education". I don't know about the UK specifically but in most
of Europe, if your kids really are smart enough for college, they can
go, and if they aren't they won't be anyway. So let's look at the whole
picture.

We have the same system in California (CSU system). We actually have
another system as well for the not-so-smart kids (the Community College
System).

-Robert

There is very little reason that a smart or at least not stupid youngster in
the USA can't go to college. They may not be able to go to an Ivy League
school or even a major university but between community colleges and small
state schools affordable education is available.

Old August 16th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:
Bret Ludwig wrote:
And don't forget all the Americans who cannot afford to fly because of

medical bills.

But, just like Europe, no one in the United States is denied required
medical treatment (Medicaid).

-Robert

Show me who qualifies for medicaid and can afford to fly at the same
time.

Old August 16th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Show me who qualifies for medicaid and can afford to fly at the same
time.

Um, isn't that as it should be?
--
Jay Honeck