Memory battery for Dittle FSG71M

Old December 14th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Gimmey

Default Memory battery for Dittle FSG71M

Wish to find the source for the memory battery for
the Dittle Radio FSG71M. The one in my radio is
5 years old and needs to be replaced.

Old December 15th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Ray Gimmey wrote:
Wish to find the source for the memory battery for
the Dittle Radio FSG71M.

Ray,
I just replaced the battery and the LCD screen on my Dittel last
season. For parts and service in the US they use an avionics shop in
Florida.I looked all over my basement for the name of the shop and I
couldnt find it.Sorry.Just email the Walter Dittel people and they can
give you the contact info.
K Urban

Old December 15th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

KM wrote:
Ray Gimmey wrote:
Wish to find the source for the memory battery for
the Dittle Radio FSG71M.

Ray,
I just replaced the battery and the LCD screen on my Dittel last
season. For parts and service in the US they use an avionics shop in
Florida.I looked all over my basement for the name of the shop and I
couldnt find it.Sorry.Just email the Walter Dittel people and they can
give you the contact info.

K Urban

I believe it is Eastern Avonics at Porta Gorda,FL It is at the airport.
Good shop.

Old December 16th 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Fidler

I have same radio about the same age. I always thought it is a special deal
to replace this battery and a factory authorized repair facility was the
only place that could do. So, I would certainly rather do myself to avoid
the hassle.

Ray, would you follow up and tell us all how easy it was to purchase the
battery, cost, and how difficult to replace.

Thanks,
Bob Fidler

Old December 16th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HL Falbaum

I have had the job done---
The battery is proprietary and soldered to the circuit board. It is a
lithium battery and can corrode the board if it leaks.

The radio gets a "tune up" as well.

I had it done at "Penninsula Electronics" previously know as "Nicks
Electronics" in Miami--factory Dittle service and the job was satisfactory.

--
Hartley Falbaum

news:nb6dnYkM0awdUB7YnZ2dnUVZ_rOqnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...

Old December 16th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

Below are the 2 US repair facilities I am aware of. Dittel recommends the
place listed below in Florida. I have not heard much about them but did
receive some negative feedback a while ago. I'm not sure how accurate it
was.

Peninsula Avionics, Inc.
14229 SW 127th Street
Miami, FL 33186
phone: 305-238-6550
Fax: 305-238-7819

Mr. Nick Popovski

Another recommended source is below.
Rick Lord at Erie Aviation
http://www.erieaviation.com/

Rick is not factory recommended but I've received good feedback about his
work once.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

___________________________

Old December 16th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Bob Fidler wrote:
I have same radio about the same age. I always thought it is a special deal
to replace this battery and a factory authorized repair facility was the
only place that could do. So, I would certainly rather do myself to avoid
the hassle.

Ray, would you follow up and tell us all how easy it was to purchase the
battery, cost, and how difficult to replace.

Bob,
Here is what I did.I bought the battery and the LCD screen at the same
time.I had the good people at Peninsula send copies of the repair
manual that delt with replacement of the screen along with the
parts.You dont need the repair manual for the battery because it is
self explanatory as soon as you open the case.Replacing the battery
takes just a few minutes, the screen took just a bit longer (There is
alot of little parts in these sailplane radios!).Everything works fine
and it is no big deal as long as you have a little electronical
sodering experience.
Believe or not I was going to take my radio and the parts to the local
avionics shop and they were the ones that talked me into doing the job
myself.
K Urban

Old December 16th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chuck Griswold[_1_]

I couldn't tell you if I have a Dittle or a Becker
but I couldn't find a
replacement battery for memory in all the normal places.
We have a
Batterys Plus store around the corner. Big green sign.
So as a last resort
I took my radio in told the man what I needed, he soldiered
up a pack
with shrink wrap and put it in place. Has worked fine
for over a year
now. Cost me $20. It had the same voltage and ah rating
and was
rechargable. I was kind out of options, so if your
in the same place try it.
Chuck

Old December 16th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Bob Fidler wrote:
Ray, would you follow up and tell us all how easy it was to purchase the
battery, cost, and how difficult to replace.

It's been a while, but I believe my FSG71M has a 3.6V Tadiran 1/2AA
lithium battery with radial leads. Cost about $5 at www.digikey.com.
It wouldn't be a difficult repair, particularly if you don't mind how it
looks (clip the leads at the old battery, solder the leads of new
battery to the old ones, doing it right would likely require further
disassembly). It does, however, require opening the case, which is of
doubtful legality for anyone but a certified radio shop.

Strangely enough, the LCD can be replaced without opening the case...

Marc
Old December 16th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KM

Marc Ramsey wrote:
It does, however, require opening the case, which is of
doubtful legality for anyone but a certified radio shop.

Marc,When you say "doubtful legality" what do you mean?Have you found
any reference that sugests it is illegal to work on a radio?

Marc

K Urban