Interesting and scary C-172SP

Old November 9th 17, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Interesting and scary C-172SP

On Monday, March 24, 2003 at 4:32:53 PM UTC-8, Jack wrote:
Ok, let me try to make this quick. I am not as fortunate as many in here, I
have to rent a/c. I mostly rent 172's and 182's. Recently, I started
renting from a new company. About a month ago I took my two kids flying in
a C-172sp. The reg # was N219ME, based at KPDK in Atlanta. This weekend
I need to take a quick trip down to south Georgia for business. So my
sunday schedule was cleared for this purpose. Unfortunately I couldn't get
thru to schedule the a/c. I really wanted to fly that airplane. BTW,
that is a Millenium edition C-172 2000 model. Its really nice. That a/c
crashed on friday morning.

From eyewitness reports, the a/c was falling apart before it crashed. In
fact, many have stated that at least 1 wing was off before it ever hit the
ground. So far, they are saying that it was "structural failure". I was
the next person scheduled to take that airplane. Someone was watching over
me.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of the incident report from the NTSB
before the official report is released? I really want to keep up with this
investigation. Especially if they lean towards structural failure. That
would not bode well for Cessna selling many a/c. I hope that doesn't
happen.

to Rick Durden:

Do you or anyone else on this thread have access to any of the news reports from that crash? The NTSB report a couple of years after said that the plane dove and shed parts as it descended... but beyond that was pretty uninformative. I'm looking for witness reports or statements.

This and one other report from Nov 2002 are the only one's I've located. That report said a C172N pipeline patrol aircraft in Oklahoma had one of the nuts that hold a strut in place missing (and presumed to have backed off and departed the aircraft... before the break up). If so, no surprises that the wing folded and departed the aircraft...

..
Old November 9th 17, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 16:12:05 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Monday, March 24, 2003 at 4:32:53 PM UTC-8, Jack wrote:
Ok, let me try to make this quick. I am not as fortunate as many in here, I
have to rent a/c. I mostly rent 172's and 182's. Recently, I started
renting from a new company. About a month ago I took my two kids flying in
a C-172sp. The reg # was N219ME, based at KPDK in Atlanta. This weekend
I need to take a quick trip down to south Georgia for business. So my
sunday schedule was cleared for this purpose. Unfortunately I couldn't get
thru to schedule the a/c. I really wanted to fly that airplane. BTW,
that is a Millenium edition C-172 2000 model. Its really nice. That a/c
crashed on friday morning.

From eyewitness reports, the a/c was falling apart before it crashed. In
[...]

https://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.a...25X00386&key=1

NTSB Identification: ATL03FA064

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Friday, March 21, 2003 in Monroe, GA
Probable Cause Approval Date: 07/02/2009
Aircraft: Cessna 172S, registration: N219ME
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or
conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any
travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this
aircraft accident report.

A witness stated she observed the airplane in straight and level
flight at 1,500 feet. The airplane appeared to be traveling very fast.
The nose of the airplane was observed to descend down to a 45-degree
attitude and the airspeed increased. The airplane was observed to
start a spin to the right and turned 180-degrees when a wing separated
from the airplane. Another witness stated she observed the airplane in
a 45-degree nose down attitude. The airplane was making a loud noise
similar to an increase in airspeed. The nose of the airplane pitched
down 90-degrees and she thought the pilot was performing a stunt
maneuver. She then observed parts separate from the airplane and paper
falling to the ground. Review of radar data showed the airplane's
climb from the departure airport to a cruise altitude of 5,700 feet.
The radar data did not capture the breakup event. Review of failed
components submitted to the NTSB Materials Laboratory revealed all
failure fractures were consistent with overstress fracture, and there
was no evidence of significant wear or corrosion.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot’s exceedence of the design limits of the airplane, which
resulted in the overload failure of the horizontal stabilizers,
followed by the overload separation of the right wing and subsequent
loss of control.

Full narrative available

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...Final&IType=FA

Page 1 of 10
National Transportation Safety Board

Aviation Accident Final Report
Location: Monroe, GA Accident Number: ATL03FA064
Date & Time: 03/21/2003, 1050 EST Registration: N219ME
Aircraft: Cessna 172S Aircraft Damage: Destroyed
Defining Event: Injuries: 2 Fatal
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Instructional
Analysis

[...]
Probable Cause and Findings
The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident to be:
The pilot’s exceedence of the design limits of the airplane, which
resulted in the overload
failure of the horizontal stabilizers, followed by the overload
separation of the right wing and
subsequent loss of control.
Page 2 of 10 ATL03FA064
Findings
Occurrence #1: AIRFRAME/COMPONENT/SYSTEM FAILURE/MALFUNCTION
Phase of Operation: MANEUVERING
Findings
1. WING - FAILURE,TOTAL
2. (C) DESIGN STRESS LIMITS OF AIRCRAFT - EXCEEDED - PILOT IN
COMMAND(CFI)
3. WING - OVERLOAD
4. HORIZONTAL STABILIZER - FAILURE,TOTAL
5. HORIZONTAL STABILIZER - OVERLOAD
----------
Occurrence #2: LOSS OF CONTROL - IN FLIGHT
Phase of Operation: DESCENT - UNCONTROLLED
Findings
6. AIRCRAFT CONTROL - NOT POSSIBLE
----------
Occurrence #3: IN FLIGHT COLLISION WITH TERRAIN/WATER
Phase of Operation: DESCENT - UNCONTROLLED
Findings
7. TERRAIN CONDITION - GROUND
Page 3 of 10 ATL03FA064
Factual Information
HISTORY OF FLIGHT
On March 21, 2003, at 1050 eastern standard time, a Cessna 172S,
N219ME, registered to Blass
Aviation LLC, operated by Elite Flight Center as a 14 CFR Part 91
instructional flight, collided
with the ground in the vicinity of Monroe, Georgia. Visual
meteorological conditions prevailed
and no flight plan was filed. The airplane was destroyed. The
commercial pilot certified flight
instructor and dual student pilot were fatally injured. The flight
originated from DekalbPeachtree
Airport, Atlanta, Georgia, on March 21, 2003, at 1033.
A witness stated she was driving her car towards Highway 81 on Bold
Springs Road. She
observed a white airplane approaching her location going from left to
right. The airplane was at
about 1,500 feet in straight and level flight but was traveling at a
very fast airspeed. She
observed the nose of the airplane descend down to a 45-degree attitude
and the airspeed
increased. The airplane was observed to start a spin to the right and
turned about 180-degrees
when a wing separated from the airplane followed by other pieces of
the airplane. The nose
pitched straight down and the airplane disappeared from view behind
the trees. She called 911
and reported the accident at 10:48.
Another witness who was standing in a pasture at the corner of Fannie
Thompson Road and
Nicholsville Road stated she heard an airplane approaching her
location. She looked up and
observed the airplane in a 45-degree nose down attitude. The airplane
was making a loud noise
similar to an increase in airspeed. The nose of the airplane pitched
down to a 90-degree
attitude. The airplane was at about 200 feet and she initially thought
the pilot was performing
a stunt maneuver. The witness observed parts of the airplane come off
followed by pieces of
paper falling to the ground. She called 911 and reported the accident
at 10:52.
PERSONNEL INFORMATION
Review of information on file with the FAA Airman's Certification
Division, Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma, revealed the commercial pilot was issued a commercial pilot
certificate on June 25,
2001, with ratings for airplane single engine land, multiengine land,
and instrument airplane.
In addition the pilot was issued a flight instructor certificate on
February 8, 2002, with ratings
for airplane single engine land, and instrument airplane. The pilot
held a first class medical
issued on February 27, 2003, with the restriction, "holder shall wear
corrective lenses while
exercising the privileges of this airman certificate." Review of the
pilot’s logbook indicated that
he had a total of 1,329.6 flight hours (1,246.1 hours single-engine
airplane and 83.5 hours
multiengine airplane), of which 1,216.7 were as pilot-in-command. His
logbook indicated that
he had accumulated 605.9 hours as a flight instructor. According to
the flight school records,
the pilot had flown 66 hours in the last 90 days and 16 hours in the
last 30 days. The duration
of the accident flight was about 0.3 hours. The pilot’s last recorded
flight review was conducted
on February 8, 2002.
Review of information on file with the FAA Airman's Certification
Division, Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma, revealed the student pilot was issued a student pilot and
third class medical
certificate on February 11, 2003. No limitations were listed on the
medical certificate. The
student pilot logbook and training records obtained from Elite Flight
Center revealed the
student pilot had recorded 6.7 dual flight hours since February 6,
2003.
AIRCRAFT INFORMATION
Page 4 of 10 ATL03FA064
Review of airplane maintenance records revealed the last recorded
annual inspection was
completed on March 17, 2003. The airframe had accumulated 1,650.4
hours. Review of Elite
Flight Center Dispatch Sheet for March 21, 2003, revealed the Hobbs
meter reading at the
beginning of the flight was 2066.30 and Tachometer reading was
1649.40. The Hobbs meter
and tachometer were destroyed.
Review of refueling records obtained from the Elite Flight Center,
revealed the airplane was
topped off on March 9, 2003, with 7.2 gallons of fuel. The airplane
had not been flown since it
was topped off.
METEOROLOGICAL INFORMATION
The nearest weather reporting facility at the time of the accident was
Lawrenceville, Georgia.
The 1045 surface weather observation was: wind 280-degress at 10
knots, visibility 7 miles,
5,000 scattered, temperature 63 degrees Fahrenheit, dew point
temperature 50 degrees
Fahrenheit, and altimeter 29.84.
WRECKAGE AND IMPACT INFORMATION
The wreckage was located in a pasture on Fannie Hill Road in Monroe,
Georgia. The crash
debris line was on a heading of 160-degrees magnetic.
The left outside door skin was located at the beginning of the crash
debris line. A piece of the
left wing tip was located 5 feet down the crash debris line and 5 feet
right of the crash debris
line. An outboard section of the right elevator was located 36 feet
down the crash debris line
and 25 feet to the right of the crash debris line. A section of the
rudder skin was located 73 feet
down the crash debris line and 22 feet left of the crash debris line.
A piece of the right wheel
fairing was located 82 feet down the crash debris line and 92 feet
left of the crash debris line.
The trailing edge of the left rear wing tip was located 82 feet down
the crash debris line and 61
feet left of the crash debris line. The leading edge of the left wing
tip with navigation light was
located 133 feet down the crash debris line and 73 feet right of the
crash debris line. A piece of
the windshield was located 151 feet down the crash debris line and 46
feet right of the crash
debris line. The windshield with the lower right corner missing was
located 174 feet down the
crash debris line and 72 feet right of the crash debris line. The
trailing edge of the right wing tip
was located 176 feet down the crash debris line and 109 feet right of
the crash debris line. The
left door assembly and separated window was located on an access road
192 feet down the
crash debris line and 153 feet right of the crash debris line. The
right wing assembly was
located 247 feet down the crash debris line and 31 feet right of the
crash debris line. The
inboard center section of the left wing was located 258 feet down the
crash debris line and 31
feet left of the crash debris line. The rudder balance weight was
located 292 feet down the crash
debris line and 61 feet right of the crash debris line. The right
cabin door window was located
341 feet down the crash debris line and 30 feet right of the crash
debris line. A piece of the left
outboard elevator was located 341 feet down the crash debris line and
97 feet right of the crash
debris line. A piece of the left wing upper skin was located 370 feet
down the crash debris line
and 14 feet left of the crash debris line. A piece of the right upper
outboard wing skin was
located 377 feet down the crash debris line and 14 feet left of the
crash debris line. The right
cabin door was located 439 feet down the crash debris line and 41 feet
right of the crash debris
line. The engine assembly, propeller, and lower right wing strut were
located 506 feet down the
Page 5 of 10 ATL03FA064
crash debris line and 30 feet left of the crash debris line. The left
wing, firewall, and instrument
panel was located 529 feet down the crash debris line and 36 feet left
of the crash debris line.
The main cabin area, tailcone, and empennage came to rest 541 feet
down and on the crash
debris line on a heading of 090-degrees magnetic. The upper and lower
left engine cowling was
located 558 feet down the crash debris line and 64 feet left of the
crash debris line. The left
main landing gear tire was located 566 feet down the crash debris line
and 5 feet left of the
crash debris line.
Examination of the crash site revealed the airplane collided with the
ground. The engine
assembly separated from the firewall and was buried 11/2 feet below
the surface of the ground.
The propeller assembly was attached to the propeller flange. Both
propeller blades were curled
aft. One propeller blade exhibited torsional twisting and "S" bending.
The remaining propeller
blade sustained impact damage on the leading edge of the propeller
tip. The upper and lower
engine cowling separated. The firewall was separated from the engine
compartment, and the
nose wheel separated from the firewall. The windshield separated from
the forward cabin
section. The instrument panel and avionics stack separated from the
firewall.
The cabin area was crushed aft from the firewall rearward to the
baggage compartment. The
left and right front seats separated from the cabin floor with the
seat tracks attached. The rear
bench seat was crushed and remained attached to the cabin floor. The
left and right main
landing gear struts remained attached to the center fuselage bulkhead.
The left main landing
gear tire separated from the axle. The flight control "Y" assembly was
in two pieces. The aileron
flight control cables were routed across the pulleys. One chain was
broken at the sprocket and
the remaining chain was intact. The flight control cables were
continuous to the rear doorpost,
and from the rear doorpost aft to the rudder and elevator bell cranks.
The right wing separated with a section of the center fuselage
bulkhead. The main spar was
bent in a downward direction and separated 4 feet outboard of the wing
attachment point. The
leading edge of the right wing outboard section sustained aft
accordion crushing and the main
spar was bent in a downward direction. The wing tip fairing separated
from the wing tip. The
inboard 4 feet of the aileron separated from the rear spar with 11
inches of the rear spar
attached. The remaining 41/2 feet of the aileron separated from the
rib where the aileron
pushrod attaches to the aileron. The flap assembly was in the retract
position as verified by the
flap actuator jack screw and remained attached to the flap tracks. The
right flap appeared to
have been deformed in the partially extended position. The right flap
interconnect cable
exhibited evidence of broomstrawing and was separated in the vicinity
of the right wing root.
No evidence of corrosion was present on the flap interconnect cable.
The right wet wing fuel
tank was ruptured. The right wing strut remained attached to the wing
strut attach point and
separated at mid span. The fuselage bulkhead structure separated with
the remaining section
of the lower right wing strut. The fracture surface of both struts
exhibited down necking with a
45-degree fracture surface. The aileron control cables were attached
to the aileron bell crank.
Both aileron and flap cables exhibited evidence of broomstrawing.
The tailcone sustained accordion crushing 3 feet aft of the right rear
doorpost with twisting to
the left, and the tailcone was crushed and twisted to the tail tie
down ring. The left and right
horizontal stabilizers were folded downward and aft with the leading
edge tips almost
touching. The left elevator was crushed up at mid span and separated
from the horizontal
stabilizer at the outboard hinge. The right horizontal stabilizer rear
and main spar were
broken. The inboard 2 feet section of the right elevator remained
attached to the empennage.
Page 6 of 10 ATL03FA064
The elevator trim tab was separated into two pieces. The left
horizontal stabilizer front and rear
spar were broken. The vertical stabilizer and rudder assembly were
twisted to the left and
crushed downward and forward. The rudder balance weight separated from
the rudder.
The left wing separated from the fuselage with a portion of the center
fuselage bulkhead and aft
doorpost. The main spar sustained accordion crushing from the wing
root extending 2 feet
outboard of the flap aileron junction. The outboard wing main spar and
leading edge separated
outboard of the flap aileron junction. The outboard upper and lower
wing skins were torn into
various pieces. The tip fairing separated from the wing tip. The left
flap was attached to both
flap tracks and the bell crank was intact. The left flap interconnect
cable exhibited evidence of
broomstrawing and was separated. No evidence of corrosion was present
on the flap
interconnect cable. The left flap was in the retracted position as
verified by the flap actuator in
the left wing. The inboard 4 1/2 feet of the aileron was separated at
the inboard hinge and
remained attached at the bell crank. The center 2 feet of the aileron
was not located. The
outboard 3 feet of the aileron sustained accordion crushing and was
not attached to the piano
hinge. The left wet wing fuel tank was ruptured. The left wing strut
remained attached to the
wing strut attach point. The fuselage to strut attach point was
separated from the wing strut.
The aileron control cables were attached to the aileron bell crank and
were pulled out of the
center wing section. Both the aileron and flap cables exhibited
evidence of broomstrawing.
The engine assembly was transported to Griffin, Georgia, for
examination. Fuel was present in
the inlet hose and in the base flow valves of the engine driven fuel
pump. Fuel was present in
the fuel injector inlet finger screen chamber and fuel screen. The
fuel screen was free of debris.
Fuel was present in fuel distributor. The No.1 and No.4 fuel nozzles
sustained impact damage
but were free of contaminants. The No. 2 fuel nozzle was obstructed
with impact debris. The
No. 3 fuel nozzle was clear of contaminants. The crankshaft was
rotated by hand, valve and
drive train continuity and accessory rotation was confirmed, and
observed. A thumb check
compression was performed and compression and suction was present on
all cylinders. The left
magneto case was broken, and an operational test could not be
conducted. The right magneto
was rotated by hand and ignition was observed at all distributor
towers. The top vacuum pump
was removed. The drive shaft was rotated by hand. The vanes were equal
in wear. The bottom
vacuum sustained impact damage and separated at the mounting flange.
The drive drum
sustained impact damage and the vanes were equal in width.
MEDICAL AND PATHOLOGICAL INFORMATION
The Assistant Medical Examiner, Georgia Bureau of Investigation,
conducted a postmortem
examination of the commercial pilot flight instructor, on March 22,
2003. The cause of death
was multiple blunt force injuries. The Forensic Toxicology Research
Section, Federal Aviation
Administration, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma performed postmortem
toxicology of specimens
from the pilot. The results were negative for ethanol, basic, acidic,
and neutral drugs. The
specimens were not tested for carbon monoxide or cyanide.
The Assistant Medical Examiner, Georgia Bureau of Investigation,
conducted a postmortem
examination of the student pilot, on March 22, 2003. The cause of
death was multiple blunt
force injuries. Postmortem toxicology of specimens from the student
pilot was performed by
the Forensic Toxicology Research Section, Federal Aviation
Administration, Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma. The results were negative for basic, acidic, and neutral
drugs. Ethanol detected in
Page 7 of 10 ATL03FA064
the liver may be from postmortem ethanol formation and not from the
ingestion of ethanol.
The specimens were not tested for carbon monoxide or cyanide.
TEST AND RESEARCH
Two right wing pieces, two right wing strut pieces, and the left and
right interconnect flap
cables were examined by the NTSB Materials Laboratory. The wing and
strut pieces were
examined visually, and the interconnect flap cables were examined
using an optical
stereomicroscope. No evidence of fatigue was observed on any of the
fracture surfaces. The
fracture surfaces were on slant planes with a matte gray appearance.
The features were
consistent with an overstress fracture. The fractured end of each
individual strand from the
interconnect flap cables had either cup-and-cone or chisel-like
appearance with cross-sectional
thinning adjacent to the fracture (necking), features consistent with
ductile overstress fracture.
There was no evidence of significant wear or corrosion.
Review of radar data revealed the airplane departed Dekalb-Peachtree
Airport to the east and
climbed to 2,700 feet. At 1048:51, the airplane was east bound at
5,700 feet. At 1049:01, the
airplane was at 5,800 feet. At 1049:12, the airplane was at 5,600
feet. There was insufficient
radar data available from the Dobbins A.F. B. Georgia, (RADES) and
Atlanta Airport
Surveillance Radar to determine the airplane speed during the
in-flight break up.
..
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The wreckage of N219ME and the airplane logbooks were released to
Atlanta Air Recovery,
Griffin, Georgia, on March 23, 2003. The student pilot logbook was
released to the wife of the
student pilot on March 26, 2003. Components examined by the NTSB
Materials Laboratory
were released to Atlanta Air Recovery on July 11, 2003.
Check Pilot Information
Certificate: Flight Instructor; Commercial;
Private
Age: 35, Male
Airplane Rating(s): Multi-engine Land; Single-engine
Land
Seat Occupied: Right
Other Aircraft Rating(s): None Restraint Used:
Instrument Rating(s): Airplane Second Pilot Present: Yes
Instructor Rating(s): Airplane Single-engine Toxicology Performed: Yes
Medical Certification: Class 1 Last Medical Exam: 02/28/2002
Occupational Pilot: Yes Last Flight Review or Equivalent: 02/08/2002
Flight Time: 1330 hours (Total, all aircraft), 708 hours (Total, this
make and model), 1217 hours (Pilot In
Command, all aircraft), 66 hours (Last 90 days, all aircraft), 16
hours (Last 30 days, all
aircraft), 1 hours (Last 24 hours, all aircraft)
Page 8 of 10 ATL03FA064
Student Pilot Information
Certificate: Student Age: 65, Male
Airplane Rating(s): None Seat Occupied: Left
Other Aircraft Rating(s): None Restraint Used:
Instrument Rating(s): None Second Pilot Present: Yes
Instructor Rating(s): None Toxicology Performed: Yes
Medical Certification: Class 3 Valid Medical--no
waivers/lim.
Last Medical Exam: 02/11/2003
Occupational Pilot: No Last Flight Review or Equivalent:
Flight Time: 7 hours (Total, all aircraft), 7 hours (Last 90 days, all
aircraft), 3 hours (Last 30 days, all
aircraft), 1 hours (Last 24 hours, all aircraft)
Aircraft and Owner/Operator Information
Aircraft Manufacturer: Cessna Registration: N219ME
Model/Series: 172S Aircraft Category: Airplane
Year of Manufactu Amateur Built: No
Airworthiness Certificate: Normal Serial Number: 172S8478
Landing Gear Type: Tricycle Seats: 4
Date/Type of Last Inspection: 03/17/2003, Annual Certified Max Gross
Wt.: 2550 lbs
Time Since Last Inspection: 0.5 Hours Engines: 1 Reciprocating
Airframe Total Time: 1650 Hours Engine Manufacturer: Lycoming
ELT: Installed, not activated Engine Model/Series: IO-360L2A
Registered Owner: Blass Aviation LLC Rated Power: 180 hp
Operator: Elite Flight Center Air Carrier Operating
Certificate:
None
Page 9 of 10 ATL03FA064
Meteorological Information and Flight Plan
Conditions at Accident Site: Visual Conditions Condition of Light: Day
Observation Facility, Elevation: LZU, 1061 ft msl Observation Time:
1045 EST
Distance from Accident Site: 21 Nautical Miles Direction from Accident
Site: 311°
Lowest Cloud Condition: Scattered / 5000 ft agl Temperature/Dew Point:
17°C / 10°C
Lowest Ceiling: None Visibility 7 Miles
Wind Speed/Gusts, Direction: 10 knots, 280° Visibility (RVR):
Altimeter Setting: 29.84 inches Hg Visibility (RVV):
Precipitation and Obscuration: No Obscuration; No Precipitation
Departure Point: Atlanta, GA (PDK) Type of Flight Plan Filed: None
Destination: Type of Clearance: None
Departure Time: 1033 EST Type of Airspace: Class G
Wreckage and Impact Information
Crew Injuries: 2 Fatal Aircraft Damage: Destroyed
Passenger Injuries: N/A Aircraft Fi None
Ground Injuries: N/A Aircraft Explosion: None
Total Injuries: 2 Fatal Latitude, Longitude: 33.866667, -83.730556
Administrative Information
Investigator In Charge (IIC): Carrol A Smith Adopted Date: 07/02/2009
Additional Participating Persons: Hans C Larsen; Atlanta FSDO-11;
College Park, GA
David C Moore; Textron Lycoming; Ardsley, PA
Emile J Lohman; Cessna; Wichita, KS
Publish Date: 07/02/2009
Investigation Docket: NTSB accident and incident dockets serve as
permanent archival information for the NTSB’s
investigations. Dockets released prior to June 1, 2009 are publicly
available from the NTSB’s
Record Management Division at , or at 800-877-6799.
Dockets released after
this date are available at
http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/.
Page 10 of 10 ATL03FA064
The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), established in 1967,
is an independent federal agency mandated
by Congress through the Independent Safety Board Act of 1974 to
investigate transportation accidents, determine
the probable causes of the accidents, issue safety recommendations,
study transportation safety issues, and evaluate
the safety effectiveness of government agencies involved in
transportation. The NTSB makes public its actions and
decisions through accident reports, safety studies, special
investigation reports, safety recommendations, and
statistical reviews.
The Independent Safety Board Act, as codified at 49 U.S.C. Section
1154(b), precludes the admission into evidence
or use of any part of an NTSB report related to an incident or
accident in a civil action for damages resulting from a
matter mentioned in the report.