Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

Old January 11th 19, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

Well said Piet!

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Thursday, January 10, 2019 at 8:37:02 PM UTC-6, Piet Barber wrote:
On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 11:30:28 AM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 5:10:18 PM UTC-8, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Condor 2 Soaring Flight Simulator Fans

Today the Condor 2 team announced the release of Condor update 2.0.5 with native support for Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (using Revive). This update is free for all Condor 2 users.

Also released today is our first glider with sustainer motor - the ASG 29 Es 18m in 2 variants with and without motor.

If you don't already own it, you can order Condor 2 he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/condor2.htm

The ASG 28 Es Add-On sailplane is available he
http://cumulus-soaring.com/condor2.htm#Condor2-ASG29Es

I also offer all the available Add-On sailplanes in a bundle for $88.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/condo...dOn-Sailplanes

If you already have Condor 2 installed, you can update it for free he
http://www.condorsoaring.com/downloads-2/

I don't know much yet about the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive. Which one do experts recommend? What is "Revive"?

The idea of being able to look around while flying is very cool. I can't wait to try it!!!

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul,

does the condor program support head "roll", or is the horizon always level relative to the VR headset?

YES.
OMG YES.

This is the most amazing thing I've ever seen in computing since my IBM PCjr had 16 colors in EGA mode, back in 1984.

I just bought the Oculus Rift today. After spending a lot of time shooting a bow and arrow in my living room (and getting pretty good at it), I fired up Condor 2 on the Oculus Rift.

I have a club member who created a very realistic scenery in the immediate vicinity around Front Royal, VA. I launched the Duo Discus XL out of the airport, and did a quick pattern and landing. Somebody sitting behind me can see everything I see in the goggles by looking at the computer monitor; the display is duplicated.

In the pattern, I craned my neck to see just under the right wing as I was making my right turn from downwind to base. I looked up and to the right as I was making that turn from base to final. I did a very nice side slip to cancel out a stiff crosswind from the right. I had to hold control positions precisely while doing a roll-out on our very long runway (to get to the taxiway).

After a landing in difficult conditions, I sat there in the cockpit for a while. I leaned forward and could see the instrument panel more clearly. I leaned to the right and could read that little checklist that is on the right side of the fuselage. The only thing missing from my Duo Discus in real life is the pee tube coming out of the control stick. Once I get one of those installed at home, I may never get out of my flight sim chair!

How realistic was it?
I might have gotten a bit woozy from how realistic it was.
Seriously, this is amazing. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Paul Remde is right!

I bought the 2019 version of the Mach 0.1 simulator, which will be showing up in the next week or so. With all of these upgrades, our students will have no excuses about taking so long to solo.

I'm looking forward to having students come over and get some simulator time and see how well they do in real life after I give them the full instruction in the trainer.

I am REALLY excited about this.

I'm excited to see the possibility of students getting trained in much less time, I'm excited to see the possibility that the old timer grouchy instructors in the club who see flight simulators as a useless plaything finally get to see the instructional benefit of this device. I'm excited to see club members that I invest time and weekends (GOOD SOARING DAYS) in the back seat of the ASK-21 become full glider pilots, and not wander off after a few unsuccessful flying seasons. I'm excited to see the possibility of a student doing landing after landing after landing to get it right; instead of doing two flights per weekend, twice per month, and having his training program drag on for years. Most of all, I'm excited with the prospect that the students I train will one day be able to chase me all over the Shenandoah Valley, and not grow up to be round-the-pattern-and-no-further glider pilots.

I am REALLY excited about this.

Old January 11th 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Piet,
If you don't mind, would you give us an idea of the specific computer setup you are running with the Oculus Rift? I'm going to have update my desktop to get it running but it sounds like it will be worth it!
Old January 11th 19, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 2:58:36 PM UTC, Pete wrote:
Piet,
If you don't mind, would you give us an idea of the specific computer setup you are running with the Oculus Rift? I'm going to have update my desktop to get it running but it sounds like it will be worth it!

Pete,

We have the requirements he

http://www.condorsoaring.com/system-requirements/

Old January 11th 19, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete[_9_]

Thank you Chris. However, I was specifically looking for Piet's setup since he seems to be having a good time of it!
Old January 12th 19, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I like to fly Condor using a PDA running XC Soar so that I can practice with the hardware and software I will use in my real glider. Can I do that using Oculus Rift?
Old January 12th 19, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 9:58:36 AM UTC-5, Pete wrote:
Piet,
If you don't mind, would you give us an idea of the specific computer setup you are running with the Oculus Rift? I'm going to have update my desktop to get it running but it sounds like it will be worth it!

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 FTW (overkill, 2 years old)
Displayport to HDMI - Monitor
HDMI - Oculus Rift
CPU Core i5-2500K @3.30GHz (probably overkill, 3 years old)
Memory: 16.0 GB DDR3-1333 (probably overkill, 3 years old)
USB 3.0 PCI Card

Mach 0.1 simulator is "in the mail" (says Russell Holtz). My son permanently borrowed my rudder, throttle, joystick and TrackIR to play War Thunder, so it was worth it for me to buy the whole Mach 0.1 setup instead of piecing it together myself.

The system listed above is more than enough to handle Condor in full graphics mode, and most of the parts are 2 years old or more.

Old January 12th 19, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 8:29:30 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I like to fly Condor using a PDA running XC Soar so that I can practice with the hardware and software I will use in my real glider. Can I do that using Oculus Rift?

I have an LX-8080 in my real glider, and would like to have it in the simulator, too. I haven't started to figure out how to do this yet, but this seems to me like it could be a limitation of the Oculus Rift.

It would be conceivable to have the LXSim software slapped to the cockpit on one of these mini displays: http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/mfd-cougar-pack but I've never tried it.
Old January 12th 19, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

The Oculus Rift covers your eyes completely, making it tough to use a PDA. That is a down-side to VR.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old January 20th 19, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal Woodruff

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Oculus Rift but it occurred to me that my vision might be a problem. I need glasses to read/work with a computer but am OK with my contacts for distance vision. Is this going to be a problem?
Old January 20th 19, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Lessnick 51P

This article may help:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...-with-glasses/